News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wawa

Started by PHLBOS, September 15, 2014, 10:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Before you even get through typing "Wawa meaning," Google displays the suggested result "wawa means wild goose."  I didn't bother to finish typing.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 20, 2014, 10:32:30 PM
Before you even get through typing "Wawa meaning," Google displays the suggested result "wawa means wild goose."  I didn't bother to finish typing.
Many of the older Wawa signs used to sport a goose silhouette just above the name.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 22, 2014, 11:47:36 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 20, 2014, 10:32:30 PM
Many of the older Wawa signs used to sport a goose silhouette just above the name.

The only Wawa I knew for many years, a tiny strip-mall storefront way up in the north of NJ that was more Krauser's-sized, had this logo, sort of a sunset with geese flying across. This was before geese were considered an invasive nuisance.

As noted, Wawa later left that area.  7-Eleven pretty much runs the show, with a smattering of Krauser's and Quick-Cheks and plenty of independents.  There always seemed to be fewer gas station convenience stores around there than many places, presumably because people historically have not had to get out of the car at New Jersey gas stations.

Are there still any Garden State Farms?  I see a few Google results, but they look like they could be refeeds of old information.

Roadrunner75

Pete from Boston

I don't think so.  Garden State Farms was a convenience store chain I was aware of through the 1970s and maybe into the 1980s, but the ones near me closed after that.  Some became Krauser's.

They were our regular source of ice cream until they closed by us.

The best I can find through casual searching is that a) they produced all their own dairy at a plant in Hawthorne, b) broke the state price controls in the 1960s that kept the milkmen afloat, and c) went bankrupt in the late 1970s, conrinuing on for at least a few years anyway.

agentsteel53

I've never thought of Sheetz as being a silly name (mainly because I had a classmate in elementary school who was a Sheetz).

Wawa, on the other hand, is worse than silly: it is infantile.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2014, 06:54:30 PMWawa, on the other hand, is worse than silly: it is infantile.
When I first saw a Wawa after just moving into the Delaware Valley; I thought it was named after a toddler's mispronounciation of the word water.

I found out later that the word was indeed an Indian/Native American term for Canadian goose.

BTW, Wawa still uses the goose as part of its logo; just not on every item or sign.

No, Retired-US Airways pilot Capt. Sully did not campaign to have the goose symbol removed.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

BamaZeus

I just can't read this thread without thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=usGObvP42GM

I do seem to remember Wawa being in CT in the early 80s, but I can't remember exactly where.  That may be my faded memory, though.  I think there was one in Bridgeport downtown near Seaside Park, but I can't find any evidence online for that.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: BamaZeus on September 25, 2014, 11:27:10 AM
I just can't read this thread without thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=usGObvP42GM

You and me both.  Seems to express  the sentiment of about half the posters here.

Duke87

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 24, 2014, 06:54:30 PM
I've never thought of Sheetz as being a silly name (mainly because I had a classmate in elementary school who was a Sheetz).

I first heard about Sheetz through this forum before I ever laid eyes on one. It came up in a thread about road signs so at first I mistakenly assumed it was a brand of reflective sheeting. :-D
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

signalman

I was introduced to Sheetz back in 2000 when I dated a girl from Lancaster, PA.  They are all over central PA and I quickly fell in love with their MTO sandwiches and other goodies.  I first learned of Wawa in the mid-late 90s in northeastern PA.  I thought it was a bizarre name, but growing up in northern NJ, PA was always perceived as backwards.  So with that said, I didn't think too much of it.

cpzilliacus

I like both Wawa and Sheetz. 

Parts of Maryland and Delaware also have Royal Farm.

All of the are much better than 7-11.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Laura

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 01, 2014, 11:38:42 PM
I like both Wawa and Sheetz. 

Parts of Maryland and Delaware also have Royal Farm.

All of the are much better than 7-11.

Royal Farms is seriously starting to give Wawa a run for its money here. They do have the best (fast food) fried chicken, after all.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

The fried chicken is extremely good there.  The biggest problem is that it's hard to eat on the road and getting grease all over the steering wheel.  Thank goodness for cleaning products, because hell if I'm going to smell that chicken and not eat it while driving.

J Route Z

Several Wawa's are becoming Pantry 1. It sucks.

NJRoadfan

Thats nothing new. Almost all the original Wawa locations in North Jersey became Pantry 1 when they retreated from the market.
http://goo.gl/maps/Cs9B0
http://goo.gl/maps/hLD0e

PHLBOS

Quote from: J Route Z on October 12, 2014, 10:52:03 PM
Several Wawa's are becoming Pantry 1. It sucks.
A couple of Wawas near me (and I'm located on about a mile from their original home turf) became Pantry 1s several years ago.  The ones that changed over were coincidentally ones that were not open 24 hours when they were Wawas.

Being open 24 hours, I believe, is now what Wawa requires for each of their stores.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

I can tell you the one on West Vine in Kissimmee might close real soon.  Although doing good in the area, that particular location is on the edge of the Kissimmee ghetto.

Already some of the muck is already beginning to use that as the place to panhandle, as two dudes helped themselves to the table I was at one day while eating my lunch.  One was trying to bum a cigarette from me, and I do not smoke, but he then just sat down along with his buddy and started to tell me how good it is that I do not smoke.

Did not ask if he and his friend could join me.  Just sat down like he knew me and did not even know if I had company using the seat next to me either.  Top it off he was harassing people at the gas pumps as well.

I did notice him sitting on the sidewalk outside the property as I drove in.  I could easily tell he was trouble as he had the MO of the usual convenience store pan handler.  However, as luck had it I ended up having them confront me later on. 

Wawa's generally do not like building in certain areas according to a friend of mine in Atlantic City.  She says Wawa does not like Da Hood and stays away from such including high crime areas which is why she says parts of Atlantic City you will not find a Wawa at all.

I assume they just do not know how Kissimmee, FL is just yet as they did build  this one store about a mile from the Plaza del Sol mall area which is known for its sketchy surroundings lately and is only  getting worse according to the locals I talk to at a bar up the street.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wphiii

I'm genuinely curious as to how you all can possibly discern enough of a difference between various convenience store chains to be able to formulate concrete rankings of them. You can get the same crap at all of them, from where I'm standing the only major dividing line is "does it serve made to order food or not?" (and even amongst those that do, you can't tell me that there's anywhere near enough of a gulf in quality between them to have a definitive opinion one way or the other).

Roadrunner75

Quote from: wphiii on October 13, 2014, 05:42:58 PM
I'm genuinely curious as to how you all can possibly discern enough of a difference between various convenience store chains to be able to formulate concrete rankings of them. You can get the same crap at all of them, from where I'm standing the only major dividing line is "does it serve made to order food or not?" (and even amongst those that do, you can't tell me that there's anywhere near enough of a gulf in quality between them to have a definitive opinion one way or the other).
Some of it is rooting for the home team (in my case Wawa), but there are many factors - food quality, selection, price, checkout speed, etc.  Wawa was first in the area to roll out the touch screen ordering, which is now pretty much required to do well in the made to order food convenience store business.  Quick Chek slacked in this department for awhile, and I hated having to wait to tell them what I wanted, sit around until the sandwich was made, and then wait to pay for it while Wawa nearby had the touchscreens and allowed you to prepay and then pick up your food.  Give me convenience or give me death is the American way.  All other things equal, including the touchscreens, I still like Wawa's food and selection better.

PHLBOS

Quote from: wphiii on October 13, 2014, 05:42:58 PM
Trust me, there's a world of difference between stores like Wawa, Quickcheck & Sheetz vs. say Pantry 1s and 7-Elevens (who, IMHO, is still stuck in the 80s).  The former-mentioned three treat customers better overall whereas the latter-mentioned ones largely treat customers as if they're an inconvenience.

In my area, most if not all of the 7-Elevens closed up when more Wawas sprouted up.  If everything they offer (products and service) was equal; those 7-Elevens wouldn't have lost their customers/business and closed up.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

Thanks PHIBOS for choosing Wawa's 50th anniversary (in the convenience store business) year to start this thread.  It was a chain I grew up with in Delaware County, PA (where they're based on Route 1 across from the [closed] Franklin Mint).

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

1995hoo

I stopped at a Wawa in Prince William County the other day and was a bit surprised to discover 92 octane gas (rather than 93). 92 used to be the norm around here until perhaps the mid-1990s, at which time 93 became the standard. I filled up with the stuff and haven't noticed any difference in how the car runs, but I sure noticed how much cheaper $3.07 a gallon was than $3.37 at the station nearest our house.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Since cars that require premium gas want 91, or at most, 92 octane, the savings is a good trade-off for the insignificant difference in performance.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: ixnay on November 23, 2014, 04:49:35 PM
Thanks PHIBOS for choosing Wawa's 50th anniversary (in the convenience store business) year to start this thread.  It was a chain I grew up with in Delaware County, PA (where they're based on Route 1 across from the [closed] Franklin Mint).

ixnay

The Franklin Mint is closed?  Does this mean all those collectibles that weren't guaranteed to go up in value will now go up in value?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.