Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ben114

I saw this assembly yesterday, which I believe is the only all-brown "paddle" sign in MA. (at least the only one I know of)

ari-s-drives

Apologies if this has already been posted, but this sign has distances in both miles and km (probably the only one of its kind in the area).

plain

Pertaining to the NARROW LANE/NARROW BRIDGE signs postings upthread a bit, I said I remember a sign in NC but couldn't remember where. I still can't remember but I drove past another one (NARROW BRIDGE) earlier today on I-95. They're on each side approaching Exit 73 (US 421 Dunn).

EDIT: Image is from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 29, 2020, 03:00:06 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on June 29, 2020, 01:31:47 PM"High profile vehicles exit here"

You mean like the popemobile?

If memory serves, a nearby segment of I-40 passes through a slot that funnels wind, so I suspect that message is aimed not just at 18-wheelers that have "cubed out," but also box trucks, campers, etc.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 29, 2020, 08:36:14 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 29, 2020, 03:00:06 PM

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 29, 2020, 01:31:47 PM
"High profile vehicles exit here"

You mean like the popemobile?

If memory serves, a nearby segment of I-40 passes through a slot that funnels wind, so I suspect that message is aimed not just at 18-wheelers that have "cubed out," but also box trucks, campers, etc.

Might have missed the joke.  I was interpreting "high profile vehicle" as a vehicle that has wide recognition among the public.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Rothman

Quote from: Ben114 on June 29, 2020, 03:21:00 PM
I saw this assembly yesterday, which I believe is the only all-brown "paddle" sign in MA. (at least the only one I know of)
Hm.  I wonder if there are others in western MA, such as by the Quabbin, Sherwood Forest, or near Natural Bridge and Clarksburg State Parks.  Might be one for Lake Wyola, too, come to think of it (on US 202?).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

mrsman

Quote from: Amtrakprod on June 30, 2020, 09:23:04 PM

Cool way to sign a dead end!

iPhone

Yes, but its a little hard to see the sign.  It can easily be missed.

MarkF

The three mini signs on Canada Rd in Lake Forest, CA make me wonder if someone thought the curve should be signed so they made and posted their own signs?

https://goo.gl/maps/P7JMQpTS3bW2PSUb9

Tonytone

Quote from: MarkF on July 01, 2020, 12:24:19 AM
The three mini signs on Canada Rd in Lake Forest, CA make me wonder if someone thought the curve should be signed so they made and posted their own signs?

https://goo.gl/maps/P7JMQpTS3bW2PSUb9
Could be that or it could be because a bigger sign could collide with cars or big trucks.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

ErmineNotyours

Pushing the button will only make the ped signal appear, not a horse symbol.

Tonytone

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 01, 2020, 01:03:09 AM

Amish area?

iPhone

Scott5114

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 01, 2020, 01:03:09 AM

Did you try pushing it? Maybe doing so summons a horse. Or a voice gives you a readout of the day's results from Santa Anita.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 01, 2020, 05:38:24 AM
Did you try pushing it? Maybe doing so summons a horse. Or a voice gives you a readout of the day's results from Santa Anita.

It looks like pushing it should summon a horse and rider.

Maybe a mounted police officer will appear and tell you to quit pushing the button.   :pan:
Male pronouns, please.

mrsman

Do you know where this is exactly?

My guess is that even though it my only activate the pedestrian signals, it is a special button for mounted riders.  Perhaps the button is up higher than the normal button to account for the higher position of riders on horses and would normally not be reachable by pedestrians.

kphoger

Quote from: mrsman on July 01, 2020, 11:49:39 AM
Perhaps the button is up higher than the normal button to account for the higher position of riders on horses and would normally not be reachable by pedestrians.

It looks like it, anyway.  Look how close the button is to the level of the signal.
Male pronouns, please.

Occidental Tourist

My guess is that even though it my only activate the pedestrian signals, it is a special button for mounted riders.  Perhaps the button is up higher than the normal button to account for the higher position of riders on horses and would normally not be reachable by pedestrians.

This.  We have horse trails in our town and have quite a few of these.  If there was a shot below the picture depicted, you would see another pedestrian crossing button mounted at normal height.

mrsman

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 01, 2020, 11:54:30 AM

This.  We have horse trails in our town and have quite a few of these.  If there was a shot below the picture depicted, you would see another pedestrian crossing button mounted at normal height.

May I ask if this is in Burbank, CA near the horse trails by Griffith Park?  I think I remember reading that they installed these buttons there to help cross Riverside Drive.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Tonytone

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 01, 2020, 06:53:56 PM
Very big/noticeable curve signage in OKC:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@35.4341762,-97.4061822,3a,28.1y,296.06h,93.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6lymA-WUIfsDaX44zw6pMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Ok other then that beautiful sign gantry. If you look in the other direction there are two water towers next to each other. Google mishap or real life?

iPhone

mrsman

Quote from: Tonytone on July 01, 2020, 07:05:55 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on July 01, 2020, 06:53:56 PM
Very big/noticeable curve signage in OKC:
https://www.google.pl/maps/@35.4341762,-97.4061822,3a,28.1y,296.06h,93.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6lymA-WUIfsDaX44zw6pMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Ok other then that beautiful sign gantry. If you look in the other direction there are two water towers next to each other. Google mishap or real life?

iPhone

I think its real, but I'm no expert on OK.

Also, a good nice pictures of the planes parked at the Air Force Base.

The sign is great.  It is needed at many of the sharp mainline curves that exist.    I-90 in Cleveland also has special signage, but this is better.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: ari-s-drives on June 29, 2020, 04:36:45 PM
Apologies if this has already been posted, but this sign has distances in both miles and km (probably the only one of its kind in the area).

A few of those are still scattered around the state. Caltrans posted them in the late 1970s and early 1980s when it looked like metrication might actually happen, and left them alone when it didn't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.