News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

roadman

Quote from: roadfro on August 17, 2020, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 16, 2020, 11:51:13 PM
Quote from: roadman on August 16, 2020, 11:16:03 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 16, 2020, 09:45:08 AM

Nothing erroneous or really odd about this, but it strikes me as unusual in several ways.  This gantry and new signs were installed on I-94 in Detroit last year after the Brush Street bridge (behind them) was replaced,

(1)  It's a box gantry, when Michigan has changed almost entirely to trichord triangular gantries.  I otherwise see new box gantries installed only when they are attached to retaining walls.

(2)  Drunken installation crew?  Michigan usually is really good about evenly lining up the bottoms of multiple signs attached to box gantries.  (Not so much on the narrower trichord gantries.)

(3)  Highway Gothic font!

(4)  The sign for southbound M-10 has the LEFT exit tab but doesn't have the cardinal direction to the left of the shield (both became Michigan standard about the same time).

Regarding #4, placing the cardinal direction to the left of the shield is now only allowed for stipple-headed diagrammatic signs.  On conventional guide signs for left-hand exits, the cardinal direction is supposed to be to the right of the shield - see MUTCD Figure 2E-15.

That wasn't the case on new installs near me in 2017 and 2018.  Maybe Michigan very recently changed that design standard.

While the national MUTCD chapter 2E only shows the cardinal direction to the left of the shield on figures with diagrammatic signs, I can't find any text that regulates this placement.

The Guidance statement for diagrammatic sign design includes this:  "Route shields, cardinal directions, and destinations shall be clearly related to the arrowhead."  My guess is that, as the shiled for the right side movement is closest to the arrowhead, someone determined that the shield for the left side movement should be closest to the arrowhead as well, resulting in the placement of the cardinal direction to the left of the shield.  Note that, prior to the 2000 MUTCD, these design criteria were a "shall" statement, and not guidance.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

Not sure if this thread is the best place for this sign assembly, but I simply found the circumstances interesting in terms of two "EAST" signs pointing in opposite directions. It's accurate, though. (Honorable mention to the intersection being in North, Virginia.)

https://goo.gl/maps/n3BJaNVb8DfddDUQ7
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

STLmapboy

Here's WSDOT's equivalent of a wanted poster on an I-90 rest area in the Columbia Basin.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

GenExpwy

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 20, 2020, 01:55:12 PM
Not sure if this thread is the best place for this sign assembly, but I simply found the circumstances interesting in terms of two "EAST" signs pointing in opposite directions. It's accurate, though. (Honorable mention to the intersection being in North, Virginia.)

Here in Wayland NY, NORTH goes in three directions:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5676151,-77.5896752,3a,30y,42.15h,95.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6OG7xw0yV4YiOqQLaHvrlw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

NY 15 north, straight ahead toward Springwater and Rochester
NY 21 north (locally east), right toward Naples and Canandaigua
NY 63 north (locally west), left toward Dansville and Batavia
BONUS: If you are actually headed north, you may be going to Rochester via I-390 — and to get to 390 north, you take NY 15/21 south from this intersection.

roadman65

US 221 S Bound in Hazelhurst, GA has this assembly at Connector Highway 135 where the one way pair of US 221 become one again.
https://goo.gl/maps/emNrbGyBugXv2Roz9
What is interesting about this one is the fact that it shows US 221 (and GA 135) going both ways (left and straight) which is true.  To the left is NB and straight is SB.  However, this is from the perspective of one on US 221 and GA 135 SB.  So this is suggesting that both routes split and you can go either way.

IMO opinion just straight arrows should suffice as no one traveling SB will even care about NB unless a mandatory U turn is needed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on August 21, 2020, 03:51:33 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on August 21, 2020, 02:55:18 PM
BC is hyping up its new traffic signals.

I think those are fairly common in Canada, aren't they?

The "NEW" signs are, but I'm not used to seeing them like that.

The intersection used to be split-phased, hence the unusual sign.

bassoon1986

I was just in Orange Beach, AL and saw this sign again. It's just odd placement of words because I think most people would read it as North I-10 like I did.

iPhone

roadman65

US route Business shields have a lot to be desired for in some parts of Georgia.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

The font here is disturbing. Any other road signs with really bad fonts? I know the STL suburb of Clayton has some really bad and hard to read white Gothic street blades.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 20, 2020, 04:39:04 PM
Here's WSDOT's equivalent of a wanted poster on an I-90 rest area in the Columbia Basin.

I thought it would be this sign:

(It's very difficult to find it on GSV in the wild.  The one location I know of is in a weigh station and is too faded to read from a distance.)

jakeroot

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 21, 2020, 11:11:45 PM
The font here is disturbing. Any other road signs with really bad fonts? I know the STL suburb of Clayton has some really bad and hard to read white Gothic street blades.

A "notice" sign with nearly the same font leading up to a bridge.

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 22, 2020, 12:20:47 AM

(It's very difficult to find it on GSV in the wild.  The one location I know of is in a weigh station and is too faded to read from a distance.)

wanderer2575

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 20, 2020, 01:55:12 PM

How about the same cardinal direction pointing in two directions for the SAME ROUTE?  M-22 basically does a 180-degree turn in Northport on its way around the Leelanau Peninsula, so either way from M-201 is South.

Similar on M-123 in Paradise, but there is minimal signing with no cardinal directions at that intersection.

roadman65

This inverted JUCTION is not only interesting but so is the warning sign beyond it 74 feet between the RR track and intersection is explained very oddly.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2020, 12:38:02 AM
Quote from: STLmapboy on August 21, 2020, 11:11:45 PM

A "notice" sign with nearly the same font leading up to a bridge.

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 22, 2020, 12:20:47 AM

Trailer Park Boys just makes my day so much better. Thank you.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Business route signed as an interstate in Missoula.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US 89

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: roadfro on August 17, 2020, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 16, 2020, 11:51:13 PM
Quote from: roadman on August 16, 2020, 11:16:03 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 16, 2020, 09:45:08 AM

Nothing erroneous or really odd about this, but it strikes me as unusual in several ways.  This gantry and new signs were installed on I-94 in Detroit last year after the Brush Street bridge (behind them) was replaced,

(1)  It's a box gantry, when Michigan has changed almost entirely to trichord triangular gantries.  I otherwise see new box gantries installed only when they are attached to retaining walls.

(2)  Drunken installation crew?  Michigan usually is really good about evenly lining up the bottoms of multiple signs attached to box gantries.  (Not so much on the narrower trichord gantries.)

(3)  Highway Gothic font!

(4)  The sign for southbound M-10 has the LEFT exit tab but doesn't have the cardinal direction to the left of the shield (both became Michigan standard about the same time).

Regarding #4, placing the cardinal direction to the left of the shield is now only allowed for stipple-headed diagrammatic signs.  On conventional guide signs for left-hand exits, the cardinal direction is supposed to be to the right of the shield - see MUTCD Figure 2E-15.

That wasn't the case on new installs near me in 2017 and 2018.  Maybe Michigan very recently changed that design standard.

While the national MUTCD chapter 2E only shows the cardinal direction to the left of the shield on figures with diagrammatic signs, I can't find any text that regulates this placement.

this might not be in the spirit of it.. but i think its funny that a road signed 'north' goes to 'southfield'. cute coincedence, really.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

this sign has always struck me as ugly.. i don't know that there's anything 'noncompliant' about it. it's just aesthetically weird to me. 287 at overland, west/north end.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BnqxJ5U9kKS-QwLrJ13fz_xEvV5dREom/view?usp=sharing
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

D-Dey65

You know how some railroad crossing warning signs have a supplemental sign underneath that says "Rough Crossing?" This one just says "Rough."
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7940718,-81.9777729,3a,75y,77.4h,84.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZfjlAPtfP31537gPSkZd3Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
With a speed advisory sign underneath.

Edited for Typographical error

csw

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 24, 2020, 07:40:06 PM
With a speed advisory song underneath.
♫♪ Keep your speed really low
     Just take it nice and slow ♫♪

ari-s-drives

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.