News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I guess Northeast and Northwest have reversed roles this winter. We expect to get four (or more) straight days with snowfall in January, but no such luck. It's been as gloomy as ever, just with milder temps and no white stuff.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on January 15, 2020, 06:35:59 PM
Four straight days of snow. Only about 3 inches where I am, but other parts of the region are seeing much more. Schools have been closed for the entire week.

Tacoma and the south sound has managed to avoid almost all of the snow, apart from a dusting Monday night and Tuesday morning.

Port Angeles with their 18-22 inches is nuts.

Paradise (south side of Mt Rainier) has also received about 100 inches of snow since the New Year:

ozarkman417

Springfield was to receive ~ .25" of ice today, but the temperatures remained around 33 degrees (give/take one or two) the entire day. While this ice didn't make it on the ground it stuck to vehicles and trees.

Flint1979

Snowing in Michigan and it's still coming down.

Mark68

Off and on snow showers and 18.

Sunday, it was in the mid 70s.

Winter and early spring are a roller coaster in Denver.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

ozarkman417

3" of snow incoming, it's been a long time since SGF has received that much. It's 33 degrees right now, and it doesn't seem to want to move.

Max Rockatansky

It was 27F this morning in Fresno.  That's about as cold as I ever remember it in any winter here and certainly was by far the coldest temperature this winter. 

bassoon1986

Possible severe storms in central Louisiana tomorrow. So odd this time of year. We had major damaging tornadoes here in December and in January.

iPhone

Max Rockatansky

The High was about 65F today in the Fresno Area.  Conditions are really dry at the moment the low is supposed to be 37F tonight.  The good news is that the Tule Fog is gone for now. 

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mark68

cl94

We're officially having a bomb cyclone in the Northeast. Hartford recorded a drop of over 24 mbar in the past 10 hours, here in Albany was likely similar given the conditions we have seen.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MikeTheActuary

I got back to CT late last night, after driving from Memphis.

Lots, and lots of rain.   Lots of hydroplaning too.

Eth

It might be easier to answer, "what isn't my weather?"

Earlier in the week we had sunshine and record highs reaching the mid-70s.

Yesterday we got 4 inches of rain.

Today was mostly cloudy and cold, with a brief wintry mix including some snow flurries this morning.

And now the north half of metro Atlanta (including me) is under a winter weather advisory for tomorrow morning with potentially up to an inch of snow. As always, there's the possibility very high likelihood that the temperature will stay just warm enough for us to get much nastier stuff instead.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Eth on February 07, 2020, 04:40:45 PM
It might be easier to answer, "what isn't my weather?"

Earlier in the week we had sunshine and record highs reaching the mid-70s.

Yesterday we got 4 inches of rain.

Today was mostly cloudy and cold, with a brief wintry mix including some snow flurries this morning.

And now the north half of metro Atlanta (including me) is under a winter weather advisory for tomorrow morning with potentially up to an inch of snow. As always, there's the possibility very high likelihood that the temperature will stay just warm enough for us to get much nastier stuff instead.
We got a similar warm streak here that just ended as well due to a severe line of storms that tracked through the area but didn't exactly hit us.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on February 07, 2020, 03:04:47 PM
We're officially having a bomb cyclone in the Northeast. Hartford recorded a drop of over 24 mbar in the past 10 hours, here in Albany was likely similar given the conditions we have seen.
Just a big drop in pressure?

Yesterday, Utica and points west got a decent ampunt of snow.  Some sections of hardpack ice on the Thruway around Amsterdam and west of Fort Plain (WB traffic was going at a crawl's pace due to both lanes being sheet ice; EB, left lane was okay).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

We apparently missed the worst of it. Syracuse got a foot yesterday, we got 5 inches.

Granted, between Wednesday night and this morning, we still have around a foot, just came in three doses instead of one.

Rothman

Eh, it didn't look like a foot yesterday when I left Syracuse at 4.  Another band would have had to come through after that to bring it up to a foot.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on February 08, 2020, 03:30:33 PM
Eh, it didn't look like a foot yesterday when I left Syracuse at 4.  Another band would have had to come through after that to bring it up to a foot.

Snow compacts after it hits the ground.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Eth

I did get some snow, but not really any measurable accumulation. It started around 9:15 this morning and then kept toggling back and forth between snow and rain about every 20 minutes for a few hours. All of it was washed away or otherwise melted by mid-afternoon.

Some portions of the northern part of the metro area measured as much as 4-6 inches, though. Pretty substantial for us, but no significant problems since it hit on the weekend.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on January 15, 2020, 09:52:42 PM
We expect to get four (or more) straight days with snowfall in January

Well, we couldn't do it in January, so we do it in February instead! Today, February 9th, is our fourth straight morning of waking up to measurable snowfall. At this rate, it should be a cinch to maintain our spot and close the season out atop the "Snowiest US Cities" rankings.

Notice I said should be a cinch. That's not accounting for Syracuse, the Kansas City Chiefs of the snowfall derby, with Lake Ontario playing Pat Mahomes. No doubt Syracuse will climb back to the top, as they always do. It's just a question of when.

Will it be:
The Texans version (it happens before Valentines Day), the Titans version (it's close but they run away with it in March) or the Super Bowl version (they let us pad our lead before going wild in April)?

We'll just have to wait and see! Winter at its finest!  :coffee:

Mark68

After a warm and dry January, which lasted until Feb 2, February has seen three rounds of snow, probably a total of 10" or so, and (with the exception of this past Sunday) it's been cooler than normal. More snow is expected overnight tonight.

Eth

Schools in the metro area are closing or being delayed tomorrow due to weather. That happens sometimes in February, of course, but the weird thing about this one is that it'll be about 50 degrees or so.

Round after round after round of heavy rain (and, since these are the northern counties, probably some melting snow from the weekend) is causing widespread flooding, leading to the closures. Fortunately, after today, rain is only in the forecast for 7 of the next 9 days.

US 89

Quote from: Eth on February 08, 2020, 06:53:12 PM

I did get some snow, but not really any measurable accumulation. It started around 9:15 this morning and then kept toggling back and forth between snow and rain about every 20 minutes for a few hours. All of it was washed away or otherwise melted by mid-afternoon.

Some portions of the northern part of the metro area measured as much as 4-6 inches, though. Pretty substantial for us, but no significant problems since it hit on the weekend.

I was out in Carrollton over the weekend, so I missed the Great 2020 Atlanta Snowstorm. There wasn't really any snow out there, just a brief period of light freezing rain on Saturday morning. More interesting to me was the dense freezing fog that moved in later that night.

Anyway, now I'm back in Atlanta, where I got absolutely soaked walking outside this afternoon. In addition to all the rain and flooding concerns, we're now looking at a potential severe weather threat for both tomorrow and Wednesday.

ozarkman417

The subzero windchill switch has been activated, and the high will be 19 tomorrow but temps will enter the 50s over the weekend,  and with that, I'll finally be able to see the sun for the first time this week.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.