News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steviep24

Quote from: astralentity on April 14, 2021, 08:49:30 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 14, 2021, 02:56:49 PM
Quote from: astralentity on April 14, 2021, 02:31:10 PM
Eeeeesh.....

https://www.news10.com/news/nysp-truck-hit-a-northway-overpass-traffic-being-diverted/

That beam is nearly ripped into two.
Normally, I'd expect something like that to happen to parkway interchanges, not an interstate highway like the Adirondack Northway. Although there are a few bridges over the Long Island Expressway that are unexpectedly low.

Crazeenydriver needs to make a video on this!
This sort of thing may happen on NY 390 in Rochester one day. This bridge on SB NY 390 is marked at 12 ft. 11 in. clearance in the left lane. This is in an industrial area with a lot of truck traffic.

steviep24

Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2021, 11:00:26 AM
In other NY news, construction has begun at NY 286 and Five Mile Line Rd in Penfield, an intersection I've grumbled about in the past because of the lack of turning lanes and rush hour backups.  It was originally under study for a roundabout, but they're ultimately going with the more sensible option of just adding turning lanes on all four approaches, including a southbound right turn lane. Diagram here:

It's about time. This needed to be done 20 years ago.

Roadgeekteen

I just traveled on the Taconic State Parkway for the first time. Beautiful road, but seems a bit overbuilt up north in Columbia County.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SignBridge

Most sections of the Taconic have been rebuilt to modern standards. The notable exception is thru Putnam County where it's still the original four-lane road with later installed guide-rail in the middle. That is unless changes have been made in the last few years.

Rothman

Quote from: SignBridge on April 22, 2021, 10:18:16 PM
Most sections of the Taconic have been rebuilt to modern standards. The notable exception is thru Putnam County where it's still the original four-lane road with later installed guide-rail in the middle. That is unless changes have been made in the last few years.
To widen the Taconic south of I-84 would just be horrifically expensive given you would have to cut into the hill more.  It's a short section, so just take a deep breath, white-knuckle it and it's all over in about a minute.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 12:44:42 AM
To widen the Taconic south of I-84 would just be horrifically expensive given you would have to cut into the hill more.  It's a short section, so just take a deep breath, white-knuckle it and it's all over in about a minute.

That section is at least straight, it's not so bad. The peekskill hollow section after the curve farther south is the worst stretch of the road.

Rothman

Similar comment, though:  To fix all that by straightening the road out more and upgrading the Peekskill Hollow interchange, would be extremely expensive.  Although NYSDOT upgraded Pudding Street, that was a relatively easier place to fix up (top of a flat hill) than in a ravine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 12:44:42 AM
I'm amazed that area doesn't have enough crashes to outweigh the costs. Not sure those are even 10' lanes. It's expensive but likely environmental is a bigger headache.

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2021, 10:15:27 PM
I just traveled on the Taconic State Parkway for the first time. Beautiful road, but seems a bit overbuilt up north in Columbia County.

In what way?

Nothing recently, aside from Pudding Street, but that doesn't alter that character much. The next newest section is the Miller Hill Road interchange, just to the north in Dutchess County.

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2021, 03:22:49 PM
I'm amazed that area doesn't have enough crashes to outweigh the costs. Not sure those are even 10' lanes. It's expensive but likely environmental is a bigger headache.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does, but I'd rather see the focus placed on encouraging traffic to use US 9 instead. For many, it's already the better route; for enough others, it's enough better that it might not be hard to tip the scales.

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on April 23, 2021, 04:07:15 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2021, 10:15:27 PM

In what way?

Nothing recently, aside from Pudding Street, but that doesn't alter that character much. The next newest section is the Miller Hill Road interchange, just to the north in Dutchess County.

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2021, 03:22:49 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it does, but I'd rather see the focus placed on encouraging traffic to use US 9 instead. For many, it's already the better route; for enough others, it's enough better that it might not be hard to tip the scales.
How is US 9 a better route?  It's a mess in Ossining and Tarrytown.

cl94

The only extended section of the Taconic that has been upgraded is between the Sprain and US 6. This section was widened to modern standards between the 70s and 2000s. Putnam County is hard because, in many cases, parkland is right up to the ROW line.

Upgrades north of US 6 are as follows (may not be an exhaustive list):
- Pudding Street
- Small NB realignment just south of NY 301
- Miller Hill Road interchange
- Hosner Mountain Road bridge
- Beekman Road Interchange
- Arthursburg Road RIRO and Noxon Road ramp
- Several full crossings converted to RIROs from Todd Hill Road north
- Double trumpet stubs removed at Exit B2

In a few of these cases (the new interchanges), the parkway was widened/upgraded around the location. In others, such as most/all of the RIROs, there were minimal changes to the parkway itself.

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 04:31:29 PM

US 9 north of Ossining is fine. Use the Briarcliff-Peekskill Parkway (3 lights) to make the jump from the Sprain/Taconic to US 9. 9 north of there is full freeway to the Bear Mountain Parkway and generally flows well to 84.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on April 23, 2021, 05:34:25 PM
The only extended section of the Taconic that has been upgraded is between the Sprain and US 6. This section was widened to modern standards between the 70s and 2000s. Putnam County is hard because, in many cases, parkland is right up to the ROW line.

Upgrades north of US 6 are as follows (may not be an exhaustive list):
- Pudding Street
- Small NB realignment just south of NY 301
- Miller Hill Road interchange
- Hosner Mountain Road bridge
- Beekman Road Interchange
- Arthursburg Road RIRO and Noxon Road ramp
- Several full crossings converted to RIROs from Todd Hill Road north
- Double trumpet stubs removed at Exit B2

In a few of these cases (the new interchanges), the parkway was widened/upgraded around the location. In others, such as most/all of the RIROs, there were minimal changes to the parkway itself.

US 9 north of Ossining is fine. Use the Briarcliff-Peekskill Parkway (3 lights) to make the jump from the Sprain/Taconic to US 9. 9 north of there is full freeway to the Bear Mountain Parkway and generally flows well to 84.
Eh, not sure there's enough of a benefit.

empirestate

Because none of that mess lies along the Putnam County section, which is undeveloped, and much straighter and flatter than the Taconic, with wider lanes. It also feeds directly into the population centers north of I-84, which are appreciably more dense than you might expect if you're thinking that the Putnam/Westchester line is the limit of exurbia.

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 06:19:57 PM
Eh, not sure there's enough of a benefit.

I am. This is all daily commuting territory for me. I choose US 9 over the Taconic routinely, precisely because of the benefit. We generally look at the Taconic as best left to long-haulers, people headed between the city and Upstate.

webny99

There's also US 202 to connect between US 9 and the Taconic. Not sure how viable that is, though.

Rothman

I shall see what Google Maps has to say about this.  :D

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on April 23, 2021, 10:00:05 PM
There's also US 202 to connect between US 9 and the Taconic. Not sure how viable that is, though.

Usually not bad, but there is a two-lane section through Crompond. When that jams up it can jam up pretty good, but it is for a limited distance. But most of the route is really using the Bear Mountain Parkway, which gets you far enough that this can be a viable route between, say, Fishkill and Yorktown. Literally using 202 the whole way would put you through the middle of Peekskill (although that's not horrible if your destination is local).

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 11:16:42 PM
I shall see what Google Maps has to say about this.  :D

I think most people do, and that probably explains what volume there is on the Taconic. Usually that's fine, but when there's a problem, that's when you have a problem.

There's not a whole lot of science behind it; it's simply that the land between US 6 and I-84 is thinly developed, so those highways that do cross it are all pretty free-flowing. As a result, the straightest route usually is also the quickest. And if the straightest route is the Taconic, the next-straightest route isn't so much slower that it's unlikely to outweigh the challenges of the parkway.

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on April 24, 2021, 02:02:06 AM
As a result, the straightest route usually is also the quickest. And if the straightest route is the Taconic, the next-straightest route isn't so much slower that it's unlikely to outweigh the challenges of the parkway.

This is my current assumption.

cl94

If I'm going from Albany to, say, Peekskill, the fastest non-Thruway route (and indeed that recommended by Google) is to cut over from the Taconic to 9 at either 301 or 84. The time difference between 9 and the Taconic is minimal enough that, unless you're going far enough south that 9A or the Saw Mill is a viable cutover, your best option is to pick a corridor at 84/301 and stick with it.

9 south of the Briarcliff-Peekskill Parkway or north of 84? Forget it. But the bit in between has little enough traffic and ample passing opportunities.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

baugh17

Haven't had a chance to mention this, but the guide signs along NY 5S inside the Utica city limits were replaced this past week.  No more boxed signs except for EB at Dyke Rd.  The Herkimer County signs have not been replaced as of yet but given recent sign projects that I have noticed along NY 5 (Utica line to Lock 19), NY 5S (east of Mohawk to at least Washington St.), and NY 28 (south of Mohawk to the Otsego County line), I would suspect the guide signs will be replaced later this summer.

On a semi-related note, the NY 5S reconstruction project in downtown Utica (the focal point for last summer's meet) is nearing completion as crews have been spending the past week on landscaping and finishing touches.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 24, 2021, 10:56:31 AM

Quote from: empirestate on April 24, 2021, 02:02:06 AM
As a result, the straightest route usually is also the quickest. And if the straightest route is the Taconic, the next-straightest route isn't so much slower that it's unlikely to outweigh the challenges of the parkway.

This is my current assumption.

The double-negative threw me as well, but I think your assumption was likely, not unlikely.

(Or is, not isn't...)

astralentity

Is there anything in the future about resurfacing the Taconic in Columbia County?  There are a few sections I can think of that really need it

Also, I'm elated that R9 has FINALLY started work on I-88 between Oneonta and Richmondville.  Beyond elated.  That was needed like 10 years ago.

Rothman

Now I'm waiting for R3 to do I-81 from Marathon north.  Pavement's in rough shape because I believe NYSDOT just overlaid old concrete.  Joints are bad.

bluecountry

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 12, 2021, 07:54:52 AM
What next? Turning the Harlem River Drive back into a speedway for horse traffic only? Taking a page out of The Netherlands's book and making the Thruway a bicycle highway? Just think of all the trees we'll be saving! :bigass:
I take it from your sarcasm you don't like the I-81 removal?
Why?

As for the Harlem River Drive and FDR, I would LOVE it to be decked over.

crispy93

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2021, 07:19:32 AM
Similar comment, though:  To fix all that by straightening the road out more and upgrading the Peekskill Hollow interchange, would be extremely expensive.  Although NYSDOT upgraded Pudding Street, that was a relatively easier place to fix up (top of a flat hill) than in a ravine.

I vaguely recall reading on nycroads that there was a proposal in the 60s to bore a tunnel through the mountain just north of Peekskill Hollow Rd so that the giant curve around the mountain wouldn't be necessary. But apparently there was local opposition and it never got built.

But on that segment, there is a stop sign facing away from the northbound lanes. The sign was replaced during the TSP's sign replacement in 2016-2017 but I'm not sure why it's there. Is that an ATV trail or something? https://goo.gl/maps/q3RJfeVYYjXZjTfr6
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

machias

Quote from: baugh17 on April 24, 2021, 08:42:55 PM
Haven't had a chance to mention this, but the guide signs along NY 5S inside the Utica city limits were replaced this past week.  No more boxed signs except for EB at Dyke Rd.  The Herkimer County signs have not been replaced as of yet but given recent sign projects that I have noticed along NY 5 (Utica line to Lock 19), NY 5S (east of Mohawk to at least Washington St.), and NY 28 (south of Mohawk to the Otsego County line), I would suspect the guide signs will be replaced later this summer.

On a semi-related note, the NY 5S reconstruction project in downtown Utica (the focal point for last summer's meet) is nearing completion as crews have been spending the past week on landscaping and finishing touches.

I don't think they ever advertised this project? I'm happy the signs are replaced; they looked awful from day one, but I didn't see any plans indicating their replacement.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.