News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Towns in close proximity with names that are related and/or seem to go together?

Started by KCRoadFan, November 02, 2020, 08:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Having driven I-271 around the east side of Cleveland, OH, I know that Shaker Heights is one of that city's main suburbs in that part of the metro. I also know that right down the road from Shaker Heights, just across 271, is Pepper Pike - something that I got a kick out of, given that the names with "Shaker" and "Pepper" go hand-in-hand, and that they're just a few miles apart from one another.

That, in turn, made me think of other sets of towns with related or similar names that are close to one another. Another example that comes to mind is in Rhode Island, just off US 1 near Kingston; there, two towns face one another across "The Breachway," called Jerusalem and Galilee.

Meanwhile, in western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh, Moon Township isn't too far from Mars - those two towns are just 23 miles apart. Of course, also in PA, there's arguably the most famous example of this phenomenon: namely, all those rather colorfully named towns in Lancaster County, with names like Bird-in-Hand, Blue Ball, Intercourse, Mount Joy, and Paradise.

Also, in Georgia, Stone Mountain is an Atlanta suburb, named for the nearby namesake mountain; near there is the town of Lithonia, whose name derives from the Greek root word "lithos," which means "stone."

Aside from what I mentioned above, what other examples can you think of, where there are two (or more) towns close to one another, whose names appear to complement one another or otherwise be related? I'm sure there are several.

hotdogPi

Derry, NH and Londonderry, NH.
Nashville, MI and Charlotte, MI. (They're much closer than their "real" counterparts are.)

Upstate New York has enough foreign city and country names that there are probably some near each other just by random chance.

Quote from: 1 on August 09, 2020, 10:05:40 AM
New York has Amsterdam, Antwerp, Athens, Belfast, Berlin, Bombay, Cairo, Copenhagen, Delhi, Dover, Florence, Geneva, Genoa, Hamburg, Jerusalem, Liverpool, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Naples, Odessa, Orleans, Paris, Potsdam, Rome, Stockholm, Venice, Vienna, Warsaw

Cuba, German, Greece, Holland, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Malta, Mexico, Norway, Panama, Persia, Peru, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Wales

Quote from: KCRoadFan on November 02, 2020, 08:06:05 PM
Another example that comes to mind is in Rhode Island, just off US 1 near Kingston; there, two towns face one another across "The Breachway," called Jerusalem and Galilee.

Neither of these is a town.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Dirt Roads

Once upon a time:  Winston and Salem (now merged as Winston-Salem).  Both headlined as cigarette brands by the local tobacco company - R. J. Reynolds.

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on November 02, 2020, 08:13:27 PM
Upstate New York has enough foreign city and country names that there are probably some near each other just by random chance.

Quote from: 1 on August 09, 2020, 10:05:40 AM
New York has Amsterdam, Antwerp, Athens, Belfast, Berlin, Bombay, Cairo, Copenhagen, Delhi, Dover, Florence, Geneva, Genoa, Hamburg, Jerusalem, Liverpool, Madrid, Manchester, Milan, Naples, Odessa, Orleans, Paris, Potsdam, Rome, Stockholm, Venice, Vienna, Warsaw

Cuba, German, Greece, Holland, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Malta, Mexico, Norway, Panama, Persia, Peru, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Wales
The Village of Poland is near of within the Town of Russia.  The Town of Norway is adjacent.  The City of Rome, Town of Vienna, and Town of Paris are all in Oneida County.

Out in Central NY, we have the adjacent towns of Victory and Conquest.  There's also an above average number of towns named after Romans in the area - there's Cicero, Brutus, and Cato.  Broadening out to other classical history figures, we have Lysander and Hannibal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: Dirt Roads on November 02, 2020, 09:13:32 PM
Once upon a time:  Winston and Salem (now merged as Winston-Salem).  Both headlined as cigarette brands by the local tobacco company - R. J. Reynolds.

Except those brands were probably named after the towns. So it's the other way around; the cigarette brands are related and seem to go together with towns in close proximity.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Mountlake Terrace and Lake Forest Park: neighboring cities that each describe three natural features in their names.

The Coast Salish peoples of Western Washington shared a family of languages, so many placenames have the suffix -mish (Snohomish, Stillaguamish, Sammamish, Duwamish), which basically means "people of the X river".

roadman65

Scotch Plains, NJ and Plainfield, NJ.  They currently border each other (Terrell Road is the border) and both were derived from the plains that were of the area at one time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

County seat of Prince George's County, Maryland is in this incorporated town:

Upper Marlboro, Maryland

About 17 miles south (by road) and in a different county is this unincorporated but still historic place (complete with historical marker):

Lower Marlboro, Maryland
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheStranger

Samoa and Manila both in the far northwest corner of California, all seaside areas

Calexico/Mexicali along the Baja border

Claremont/Montclair at the LA County/San Bernardino County border

Chris Sampang

CNGL-Leudimin

Had all of them survived, it would be funny to enter Kansas from Colorado on KS 96 and find Colokan, Kanco, Cokan and Kanado all in close sucession :sombrero:. Too bad the only such portmanteau to survive to this day (Kanorado) is 60 miles to the North on I-70 instead...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

DandyDan

Three of the small towns near Mason City are Rock Falls, Rockford and Rockwell.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jmd41280

Mifflin and Mifflintown, PA: Neighboring communities in Juniata County, PA that are separated by the Juniata River
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CNGL-Leudimin

Another chain of similarly named-communities I remembered, this time all of them are extant: Oakview, Oakwood Park, Oakwood and Oaks, all small suburbs of Kansas City.

In addition, any similarly named pairs of towns straddling a border should count, like Valga, Estonia and Valka, Latvia; or Karesuando, Sweden and Kaaresuvanto, Finland. Even though in their native languages the "foreign" one of the pair is spelt exactly as the "domestic" one.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: jmd41280 on November 04, 2020, 08:04:51 AM
Mifflin and Mifflintown, PA: Neighboring communities in Juniata County, PA that are separated by the Juniata River

There's also Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, Maine.

jp the roadgeek

An old boyfriend of my mom when driving back to NYC from CT always used to say as they drove on I-84 "We're going through the Bury's"  because you have Water-bury, Middle-bury, and South-bury all in a row, with Wood-bury nearby.

Speaking of Waterbury, Watertown is right next door, and Waterville is a neighborhood on CT 73 between the two. 

Then you have the Lyme's (regular, Old, and East) right across the Connecticut River from the brook's (Old Say, West, and the Center portion of Essex). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 07, 2020, 01:27:40 AM
An old boyfriend of my mom when driving back to NYC from CT always used to say as they drove on I-84 "We're going through the Bury's"  because you have Water-bury, Middle-bury, and South-bury all in a row, with Wood-bury nearby.

In a similar vein but not town-related...  I was once driving back to Wichita from KC, and my dad called and asked where I was.  I replied that I was in "the four-letter creek stretch".  He knew exactly where I was.

Here is the stretch of named bridges, all in a row:  Rock Creek, Coal Creek, Long Creek, Frog Creek.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Neenah-Menasha WI.  I hear them more together than as separate cities.

frankenroad

Here in southwestern Ohio, where we have the Great Miami River and the Little Miami River, the following towns exist:

Miamiville
Miamitown
New Miami
Miami Township (multiple ones)
Miamisburg

not to mention, Miami University and Miami County

(for those wondering - the Miami Indians were among the tribes that lived in this area.  Not sure how the name got transferred to Florida).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2020, 01:18:30 PM
In a similar vein but not town-related...  I was once driving back to Wichita from KC, and my dad called and asked where I was.  I replied that I was in "the four-letter creek stretch".  He knew exactly where I was.

In North Dakota, meanwhile, there's a single elevation change on I-29 between Grand Forks and the Canadian border, referred to by locals as "the hill".

As in: "Where you at?"
"Just coming over the hill"

kphoger

Yeah, local names are fun.  For example:

Quote from: kphoger on September 04, 2013, 04:32:04 PM
Similarly, there is no town of Rudaville in Rawlins County, Kansas.  Yet, if I tell someone from Rawlins County that so-and-so lives three miles east of Rudaville, they'll know exactly where I'm talking about.  It's three miles east of where the Ruda family has historically owned farmland.

(FWIW & IIRC, this is Rudaville.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 03, 2020, 01:18:32 AM

Except those brands were probably named after the towns. So it's the other way around; the cigarette brands are related and seem to go together with towns in close proximity.

And I would assume that's the same with Pontiac, MI and Cadillac, MI.

mrsman

GaryV

Quote from: mrsman on November 11, 2020, 08:15:06 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 03, 2020, 01:18:32 AM

And I would assume that's the same with Pontiac, MI and Cadillac, MI.

Pontiac cars began in Pontiac, MI.  There was also a sister brand, Oakland.  (Pontiac is in Oakland County.)

Cadillac autos and the city have no relationship, other than both being named for the founder of Detroit, Antoine de la Mothe, sieur de Cadillac.

Buck87

In the Firelands region of Ohio there are a bunch of municipalities and townships named after places in Connecticut:

Norwalk
New London
New Haven
Greenwich
Norwich
Danbury
Groton
Fairfield
Ridgefield
Oxford
Berlin
Sherman
Hartland

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.