News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cool Place Names

Started by Max Rockatansky, March 22, 2021, 09:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Hell's Backbone Road and Box Death Hollow Wilderness came up tonight in a road chat I participate in.  Both are located on the Grand Staircase of the Colorado Plateau and have really "cool"  names (at least I think so).  What other places out there have what would be considered cool or unique names that are worth mentioning?

SkyPesos

Fucking, Austria (before it got renamed)
Hell, Michigan

Roadgeekteen

Intercourse, Pennslyvania
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kevinb1994

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 22, 2021, 10:11:22 PM
Intercourse, Pennslyvania
As the old joke goes, to get to Paradise, you have to go through Intercourse. ;)

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 22, 2021, 09:53:02 PM
Hell's Backbone Road and Box Death Hollow Wilderness came up tonight in a road chat I participate in.  Both are located on the Grand Staircase of the Colorado Plateau and have really "cool"  names (at least I think so).  What other places out there have what would be considered cool or unique names that are worth mentioning?
Speaking of which, there's a Shades of Death Road in North Jersey, while South Jersey has a place called Good Intent and a road with the same name leading to it.

How about Boring, Oregon? There's one in Maryland, too, and Maryland has a Moot Point Road as well.

Steve.S

Semper ubi sub ubi.

kevinb1994

kevinb1994

I'll also contribute Buttzville, NJ, which a radio station made a big stink (pun intended) about once.

Also, there's Butts Station in Virginia, and Butts County in Georgia. Georgia also has, just for kicks, Cumming (which also exists in Iowa).

SkyPesos

Just read an article online about someone biking from Poo Poo Point, WA to Pee Pee, OH.

kevinb1994

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 22, 2021, 10:36:13 PM
Just read an article online about someone biking from Poo Poo Point, WA to Pee Pee, OH.
Oh, I just read about the Ohio place name. I was like "˜dafuq'.

Big John

kevinb1994

Quote from: Big John on March 22, 2021, 11:16:21 PM
Embarrass WI
Illinois too. Apparently, Minnesota as well. May have had something to do with the early territorial history of the region. I'll note that Illinois was a Country, then a County, and finally, a Territory, before it became a state.

dlsterner

As a young tyke on family vacations, I would sometimes be amused when we crossed the Pee Dee River in the Carolinas.

Later on, I remember needling somebody (in a friendly way) when I found out that they were from Bumpass, Virginia.

kevinb1994

Quote from: dlsterner on March 22, 2021, 11:21:18 PM
As a young tyke on family vacations, I would sometimes be amused when we crossed the Pee Dee River in the Carolinas.

Later on, I remember needling somebody (in a friendly way) when I found out that they were from Bumpass, Virginia.
Ha, I read about the place name in Virginia earlier. I'm familiar with the Pee Dee, there's a Great Pee Dee and a Little Pee Dee. It was once called the St. John("˜s). Not to be confused with other rivers of the same name, of course, and I live near the one in Florida!

Scott5114

I always thought Hext, Oklahoma, on old US 66, sounded pretty badass.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

Okay, OK

Kill Devil Hills, NC!!

kevinb1994

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 22, 2021, 11:43:25 PM
Okay, OK

Kill Devil Hills, NC!!
Ooh, I forgot about the OBX-how about Nags Head? Kitty Hawk?
Also, New Jersey has a Kittatinny Mountain. It seems to have given its name to Picatinny Arsenal.
I almost forgot about Horseheads, in Upstate New York.
Scranton has a Nay Aug Gorge.
Horseshoe Curve near Altoona.

SkyPesos

kevinb1994

Peach Bottom near the Mason-Dixon Line.

Ship Bottom in LBI.

Blue Anchor in South Jersey.

dlsterner

Let's not forget Lake Titicaca in South America, and Shitterton, a hamlet in England.

TheHighwayMan3561

Embarrass WI

There's also an Embarrass, MN, which routinely lands at the "coldest town in the state" lists every winter morning along with nearby Tower.

The Passagassawakeag River in Maine made me snicker.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 22, 2021, 11:19:38 PM
Embarrass WI
Illinois too. Apparently, Minnesota as well.

Read that wrong at first - thought you were joking that those states should be embarrassed as well!

kurumi

Dead Horse Point State Park, Utah (well worth the side trip, the views rival what you find at a national park.)

Seremban 2, Malaysia. A newer development near the city of Seremban, on the site of an old palm plantation. I don't recall seeing this sort of "sequel" naming anywhere else. (There is also a Seremban 3.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

The ghost towns of; Big Bug, Total Wreck and Vulture City in Arizona. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.