Do Gravel Shoulders still exist anywhere?

Started by XamotCGC, August 05, 2021, 09:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XamotCGC

I'm just curious if gravel shoulders still exists in anywhere in the USA?

Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Big John

formulanone

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Revive 755

Very common still in Iowa, and quite a few in Illinois. (the latter of which is slowly paving some of them or reducing the width of the gravel section).

Max Rockatansky

CA 99 even has them in places on the interior shoulders. 

sprjus4

A lot of older Virginia arterial bypass freeways have them.

thspfc

Wisconsin has them on all two lane state and county highways, and many 4+ lane highways as well.

kphoger

They're all over the place.  As should be apparent to you by now, after having read everyone's replies.

Also, there are some edge cases (see what I did there?), such as this half-and-half example in southern Illinois, or this half-and-half example on a divided highway in Iowa.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Forget gravel shoulders. IDOT can't even get any sort of shoulders on certain sections of US-20 on the two-lane sections.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

jemacedo9

Quote from: Rothman on August 05, 2021, 11:10:53 PM
Heck, on the Thruway in places.

Where?  (out of curiosity, not a challenge)

Rothman

Quote from: jemacedo9 on August 06, 2021, 01:33:57 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 05, 2021, 11:10:53 PM
Heck, on the Thruway in places.

Where?  (out of curiosity, not a challenge)

I guess they're more of the "half and half" mentioned above, but the Thruway sometimes cheaps out on the left-hand shoulder and compensates with gravel in a lot of places from Buffalo east to Syracuse, at least.  Might even be in place to encourage people to pull over on the right side of the road instead of the left.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 06, 2021, 01:23:18 PM
IDOT blah IDOT blah IDOT blah IDOT

Edited for clarity.

Quote from: kphoger on July 15, 2021, 03:44:33 PM
IDiOT – An agency not much worse than many others, but it's fun to be snarky
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.