News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: skluth on April 18, 2018, 02:54:56 PM
Quote from: Beltway on April 11, 2018, 04:24:12 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on April 11, 2018, 11:48:22 AM
Quote from: Beltway on April 10, 2018, 10:00:04 PM
Depends on the definition of "fix".  What it would do is match the designs of the lower Kennedy and upper Dan Ryan.  Should have been done 40 years ago.
I'm just going to state that it was much easier to obtain the land to run a 14-lane expressway through the South Side than it would have been to obtain the land to run a 14-lane expressway up the North Side and leave it at that.
I would settle for 6 lanes each way thru the downtown.  It wasn't done at the outset, but it should have been done by now.
I don't see where six lanes fits through those tunnels just south of the Ohio/Ontario connector

They would need to be rebuilt.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

tribar

On the news tonight, they said the central Tri State rebuild will take roughly 6 years to complete. Why will this take 3x as long as the Jane Addams rebuild?

Brandon

Quote from: tribar on April 24, 2018, 10:12:56 PM
On the news tonight, they said the central Tri State rebuild will take roughly 6 years to complete. Why will this take 3x as long as the Jane Addams rebuild?

It may be due to the Mile Long Bridge.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Joe The Dragon

They need to keep 4 lanes open most of the time also the that I-88/I-294/I-290 rebuild is big one.

Any one have high res scans of the plans?

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 24, 2018, 10:19:23 PM
They need to keep 4 lanes open most of the time also the that I-88/I-294/I-290 rebuild is big one.

I think they are also going to do it in phases, starting this year. For instance, the portion near O'Hare is starting this year. It may also be to help manage the inevitable congestion nightmare that will come along with it.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 24, 2018, 11:54:38 PM

I think they are also going to do it in phases, starting this year. For instance, the portion near O'Hare is starting this year. It may also be to help manage the inevitable congestion nightmare that will come along with it.

And I-490 is being pushed first.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 25, 2018, 12:16:51 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 24, 2018, 11:54:38 PM

And I-490 is being pushed first.
Weren't there trains in the way of that?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ET21

Looks like phases might be the longer term solution, but also makes sense considering traffic volumes. O'Hare section with I-490 (north end), Hillside Strangler (central), Mile Long Bridge/95th (south end) is my guess.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

quickshade

The Jane Adams rebuild took 4 years, so how is 6 years 3x as long???

ET21

Quote from: quickshade on April 25, 2018, 09:15:07 PM

Technically wasn't it 7 or 8 years when you combined the western and eastern rebuilds? If that's the case, 6 years doesn't sound too horrid

Clinched:

tribar

I was referring to the Randall-Tri State portion which is about the same length as the central Tri State.

SSOWorld

Quote from: tribar on April 26, 2018, 10:20:48 AM

I was referring to the Randall-Tri State portion which is about the same length as the central Tri State.
The entire highway took 3-4 years.  They rebuilt the Cherry Valley to Elgin portion over 14 and 15 and the Elgin to Tri-State portion over 15 and 16.  Several bridges were still being worked on into 17 and the Smart Road system was still being installed in 17.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Revive 755

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 26, 2018, 05:57:23 PM
The entire highway took 3-4 years.  They rebuilt the Cherry Valley to Elgin portion over 14 and 15 and the Elgin to Tri-State portion over 15 and 16.  Several bridges were still being worked on into 17 and the Smart Road system was still being installed in 17.

They started many of the crossroad bridges a year prior to work on the mainline.

NWI_Irish96

I'm not yet a year into my new commuting pattern so I don't know whether or not this is a seasonal pattern, but the backups on York/Ogden trying to get to the SB Tri-State in afternoon rush have gotten significantly worse in the past couple weeks.  Backups used to start on York about halfway between 31st and Ogden but now they're starting north of 31st.  I'm guessing the tollway is too afraid to try to eminent domain property in Oak Brook and that's why there's no entrance ramp from 22nd or 31st, but this is getting ridiculous.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 27, 2018, 08:54:16 AM
I'm not yet a year into my new commuting pattern so I don't know whether or not this is a seasonal pattern, but the backups on York/Ogden trying to get to the SB Tri-State in afternoon rush have gotten significantly worse in the past couple weeks.  Backups used to start on York about halfway between 31st and Ogden but now they're starting north of 31st.  I'm guessing the tollway is too afraid to try to eminent domain property in Oak Brook and that's why there's no entrance ramp from 22nd or 31st, but this is getting ridiculous.

More like ramp spacing / the need for tolled ramps is why there are not there.

Brandon

Or people too cheap to go north and get on at Roosevelt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Brandon on April 27, 2018, 12:29:19 PM

Or people too cheap to go north and get on at Roosevelt.

It's almost gotten bad enough on York that I may have to backtrack north to Roosevelt.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ET21

Looks like I-355 will be getting a re-surfacing on the OG section, but also an additional lane between Butterfield and Roosevelt:

Work to prepare for the start of roadway resurfacing on the north end of the Veterans Memorial Tollway (I-355) in DuPage County is scheduled to begin this week.

Electronic message signs and construction signage will be put in place in advance to alert drivers to the start of road work, traffic patterns and work zone speed limits.

Weather permitting, on Thursday, April 26, between Army Trail Road and Butterfield Road, shoulder closures in both directions will be scheduled over the next two weeks to remove rumble strips and make shoulder repairs to prepare for traffic shifts during roadway resurfacing.

During the resurfacing work, traffic on I-355, traffic will be shifted to provide room for a work zone and safely accommodate traffic. Whenever possible, the Tollway uses traffic shifts and shoulders to keep as many lanes open during peak hours as were available before construction.

Roadway resurfacing work will include milling off four inches of asphalt pavement in both directions and replacing it with a new, four-inch asphalt overlay. Traffic will intermittently be driving on rough surfaces throughout the duration of construction.

In 2018, the Illinois Tollway has scheduled roadway, bridge and ramp work on throughout the Veterans Memorial Tollway (I-355). Between Army Trail Road and I-55, work includes resurfacing to provide a smoother riding surface for the traveling public, including widening of the roadway between Butterfield Road (Illinois Route 56) and Roosevelt Road (Illinois Route 38). In addition, roadway lighting, signage and guardrail improvements are scheduled, as well as retaining wall and noisewall work. All work is scheduled to be complete in summer 2019.

The improvements are funded by the Illinois Tollway's 15-year, $14 billion capital program, Move Illinois: The Illinois Tollway Driving the Future.

Maps and construction information about the I-355 Roadway Resurfacing and Repair work is available on the Tollway's website at Illinoistollway.com via the Interactive Tollway map and under "Projects Overview"  in the Explore Projects section.

Clinched:

edwaleni

You know I remember this fight back in 1977 when Long Grove thought their "way of life" was being destroyed by the IL-53 extension.  Lake County WAS pretty rural back in 1977, but has any of these NIMBY's checked Google Earth and seen what Lake County looks like now?

Negative impact to wetlands?  Excuse me, but I think the over 30+ sub divisions that have been built along the entire ROW has done more overall damage to the "wetlands" than a highway could ever produce. Lawn fertilizers, chlorine from leaking pools, back yard oil changers.

This road should have been done in 2007.

From the Chicago Tribune:

A Lake County environmental group on Thursday sued the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority to stop it from spending any more money to study an extension of Route 53.

The lawsuit, filed in Lake County Circuit Court in Waukegan by Livable Lake County and six area homeowners, alleges the Tollway failed to abide by state law in pursuing the controversial project. Specifically, the lawsuit claims that the Tollway violated the Illinois Toll Highway Act by failing to get proper authorization for the corridor from the Illinois legislature and not holding required public hearings.

Anthony Vega, a representative for Livable Lake County, called the Route 53 extension a "highway boondoggle."

"They're just spending money to widen highways that are destructive to the environment,"  said Vega, who said the suit was filed Thursday afternoon. "This is a pattern of wasteful spending. Building roads won't solve congestion – if anything, it will just worsen it."

The Tollway last spring approved spending $25 million for an environmental impact study on the controversial project, which has been discussed since the 1960s. The proposal would stretch Route 53 from suburban Arlington Heights in Cook County to Grayslake in Lake County, and also widen Illinois Route 120, creating a new, T-shaped, 25-mile toll road.

At the hearing last May, representatives from multiple construction companies spoke in favor of the project, saying the extension would bring jobs and relieve congestion in a growing region. Environmental groups and officials from the suburbs of Hawthorn Woods and Long Grove opposed it, noting the extension's projected $2.65 billion cost and potential negative impact to wetlands.

The environmental study is expected to take three to five years – there have already been three previous studies. A blue-ribbon advisory council formed in 2011 of public officials and representatives from business and other groups favored a four-lane boulevard with maximum speeds of 45 mph and a number of environmental features.

The homeowners who joined in suing the tollway claim they have refrained from making property improvements because of the "recent revival"  of the proposed project.

Tollway spokesman Dan Rozek said the agency hadn't received a copy of the lawsuit or otherwise reviewed it. But he did note in an email to the Tribune: "The Illinois Tollway has followed all applicable state and federal regulations for initiating an Environmental Impact Statement regarding the Illinois Route 53/120 Project."

Brandon

I say fuck Hawthorn Woods and Long Grove at this point and build it in spite of their NIMBYism.

JoePCool14

Quote from: edwaleni on May 07, 2018, 09:22:11 PMBuilding roads won't solve congestion – if anything, it will just worsen it."

This sentence right here is pure idiocracy.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on May 08, 2018, 05:42:35 AM
I say fuck Hawthorn Woods and Long Grove at this point and build it in spite of their NIMBYism.

Yes.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 08, 2018, 03:37:49 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on May 07, 2018, 09:22:11 PMBuilding roads won't solve congestion – if anything, it will just worsen it."

This sentence right here is pure idiocracy.

No.  You build a big road, and all the people from the surrounding parallel corridors will flock to it.  There are situations where adding a rail corridor or public transit would better facilitate mobility.  If you're in a desert, yes it's as simple as adding lanes to increase supply.  But complex networks need more complex analysis.  Induced demand and all that.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rick Powell

Buried at the back end of this article is the news that the I-88/Illinois 47 "full interchange" project is expected to be let this fall for construction in 2019. The article also mentions improvement of the Bliss Road intersection with Illinois 47, a few miles south of the interchange. There is a renewed political push to fill in the missing 4-lane "gap" between Sugar Grove and Yorkville, which in combination with the expanded interchange will allow greater mobility in northern Kendall and southern Kane counties.

http://www.kcchronicle.com/2018/04/27/village-waits-for-idot-approval-to-widen-intersection-of-bliss-road-and-route-47/aya7hue/

ET21

Makes sense, I was kinda surprised that they aren't going ahead and upgrading Bliss Road to a 2 lane road between 47 and at least Norris Road. Lot of traffic from North Aurora and Sugar Grove use that and Tanner Road as a route to get west and east

Clinched:

Rick Powell

Quote from: ET21 on May 10, 2018, 11:31:45 AM
Makes sense, I was kinda surprised that they aren't going ahead and upgrading Bliss Road to a 2 lane road between 47 and at least Norris Road. Lot of traffic from North Aurora and Sugar Grove use that and Tanner Road as a route to get west and east

They may not want to impact the Bliss Woods county park with a widening, or they want to leave it alone for other reasons. Kane County was trying to limit development in the area between Batavia and Sugar Grove, which still has a fair amount of farm land. Bliss Road and Fabyan Parkway are a well-used cutoff route to Randall Road and points east.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.