News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Weekend road trip suggestions?

Started by hbelkins, April 30, 2018, 09:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Saturday is the anniversary of my dad's death. I'm thinking about a short trip just to get away and do something I enjoy. I'm looking for suggestions that fit the following parameters:

* Friday night's stop about 2 1/2 hours from Jackson, Ky.
*Saturday night's stop about 3 hours from home (Lee County, Ky.)
*Avoiding Louisville, since it's Derby weekend.
*Something interesting to see or accomplish while I'm on the road. I have all the counties in the vicinity, and all Interstates and most US routes in their respective states in my region clinched as well, so I'd want to work around that to try to see something new.
*I prefer mountains to plains and am not really a fan of traveling in Ohio.

One possibility is going to Knoxville and then driving US 11 to Chattanooga, which would finish US 11 in Tennessee for me. But I'm certainly open to other roadgeek accomplishments, scenic drives, or construction viewing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: Beltway on April 30, 2018, 11:01:42 PM
US-460 construction, KY/VA?

I was there in December. Drove SR 609 across from US 460 to Breaks and saw the progress on that project, drove up what will be realigned VA 80 to the four-lane and got a good look at the top of that long bridge, and drove up Pond Creek of Draffin (as the locals call it) to see the beginnings of what will be the tallest bridge in Kentucky when it's done. I doubt there will have been a whole lot done between December and now.

froggie

Have you ever been to Burkes Garden, VA?  Eastern Tazewell County...one of those relatively flat alcoves nestled within the ridges.  Never made it there myself, though Mike (Roberson) has...heard it's a beautiful area.  Could also see if the placename sign is still there (at SR 623/SR 727)

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on May 01, 2018, 09:47:58 PM
Have you ever been to Burkes Garden, VA?  Eastern Tazewell County...one of those relatively flat alcoves nestled within the ridges.  Never made it there myself, though Mike (Roberson) has...heard it's a beautiful area.  Could also see if the placename sign is still there (at SR 623/SR 727)

Went there either last year or year before last. Went in the back way from VA 42, drove the loop and several of the dead-end routes, and exited to VA 61 and oogled all the cutouts still standing in Tazewell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.