News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Road Beers

Started by coatimundi, September 11, 2016, 12:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coatimundi

Since the number of breweries in North America changes by the hour, but seems to be consistently increasing, I thought it would be interesting to hear about beers named after roads or road-themed.
For example, here in California:
- There's a "99 Golden Ale" by Tioga-Sequoia out of Fresno. The label features a green SR 99 shield.

- There's a "101 North Brewery" in Petaluma. Their logo features a US 101 shield.

- Then there's Anderson Valley's (Boonville) Blood Orange Gose, which has an SR 128 (the highway in front of their brewery) shield.
What's interesting is that the shields are not quite right: 101 North does not "US" on it, and the 128 shield has different writing entirely and is the wrong color.

There's Mother Road Brewing in Flagstaff, just a couple of blocks south of the old Route 66 (though I don't recall the beers having themed names).

I can also recall drinking an "I-10 IPA" at a brewery in Jacksonville years ago, but they were not distributing at the time, so there was no logo.

And there's "LA 31", a beer by Bayou Teche Brewery out of Louisiana. Its label features a state highway shield.

Oh, and Sweetwater's (Atlanta) 420 uses a US highway shield but with the colors of an interstate shield in its logo.

What else?

Edit: good idea putting in images...

briantroutman

The Ipswich Brewing Company of Ipswich, MA makes a "Route 101"  pale ale–the 101 name was apparently chosen because they claim it's a "west coast style"  pale ale. The label has 101 in a shape that is definitely not a US route shield, but this can be forgiven because this shape is the standard shape used to contain the names on all of the brewery's beers. (And they do have a more realistic 101 shield elsewhere on the label.)

What I can't forgive–as someone who used to live in SF–is the very slapped together-looking collage of the city's landmarks. They have City Hall overlapping the Ferry Building, Coit positively towering over the Painted Ladies, and sailboats where there wouldn't be any water–somehow in between Alamo Square and the Golden Gate Bridge...and beneath the Space Needle?! Perhaps this is supposed to be part of the "west coast"  angle, and if it wasn't 90% SF with one odd Seattle landmark thrown in, that might make sense.

The McKenzie Brewhouse in Malvern, PA has a "Route 202 Pale Ale"  with a surprisingly accurate US 202 shield on the label.

Flying Fish Brewing Company in New Jersey has beers named, not after route numbers, but exit numbers (of the NJTP).

DandyDan

Take 16 Brewing is the name of the brewery located in Luverne, Minnesota, the town where my parents met and named for old US 16, the highway which went through town back in the day (and if I know my Luverne geography, the street it is based on).  Too bad they don't have a US 16 shield as part of the logo. http://www.take16beer.com/
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jp the roadgeek

Couple I've tried: Two Roads Brewery in Stratford, CT has a tripel called Rye 95, so named because it is right off of I-95 on Honeyspot Rd (another brew in their lineup).

A second one is Davidson Brothers I-87 IPA.  So called because they're based out of Glens Falls, NY. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

english si

There's also this pretentious place: 101cider. I know it's cider (or maybe not - that their plain cider is seasonal but other drinks year round suggest that the other stuff isn't cider, though it's identical %age suggesting the same base - perhaps they don't care about making cider, but rather other sorts of drinks), but when you make an "India Pale Cider" that's dry-hopped you have to put it closer to the beer column as it's clear they don't care about cider crafting*, but are seeking to enter the craft beer market with the gimmick of "hey, we didn't use malted grain as a fermentation source".

*like using different apples, and maybe pears (eg their cactus pears), to get different flavours (and strengths - which happens naturally with different ingredients, especially if you don't change the amount of yeast by adding some, or stopping the fermentation process artificially by pasturising - which is what they seem to all be about. How then do they get the same 6.9% strength?) and possibly adding other fruit like berries late in the process to make flavoured ciders.

----

Looking through my Beaconsfield Beer Festival programme, I found this 'American Black IPA' brewed in Henley-on-Thames. It's name (and percentage) have to do with the innuendo, but they use a road shield (US-Interstate hybrid?) to convey the Americanness.

They also make a regular American IPA with a more blatant road sign link.

(like teenage schoolboys, they call their non-alcoholic lemonade '6.9 UP'. I would say it's a play on 7-UP, but the 69 theme is strong)

Max Rockatansky

Been seeing this pop up like crazy as of late:

Granted I haven't tried, I'm assuming that's supposed to be a play on I-805?

1995hoo

Had to buy this just because of the can.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dgolub

Not named after a road, but there's Blue Point Brewery, the Pride of Patchogue, which is named after Blue Point, the southern control city for Nicolls Road (Suffolk CR 97) on Long Island.

Takumi

Parkway Brewing in Salem, VA is named after the Blue Ridge Parkway and one of their beers is called Bridge Builder.

Wild Wolf Brewing's Area 151 is named after VA 151, the road the brewery is on.

There's another Virginia beer named after VA 151, but I can't remember what it's called right now.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

coatimundi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 11, 2016, 09:01:32 AM
Granted I haven't tried, I'm assuming that's supposed to be a play on I-805?

That's the area code. F-W is in Paso Robles.
I was a little disappointed that one of the Santa Cruz breweries stole 831 from us as a name.

And that reminds me:

I was up there maybe a year ago. They're very small, but very friendly and a good location.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

coatimundi

Quote from: kurumi on September 11, 2016, 06:31:25 PM
More examples in previous thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5331.0

Damn, I knew there had to be another thread on this. But, seeing that that was 5 years ago, and things have very much expanded, it's worth another look.

coatimundi

Quote from: briantroutman on September 11, 2016, 01:30:08 AM
The Ipswich Brewing Company of Ipswich, MA makes a "Route 101"  pale ale–the 101 name was apparently chosen because they claim it's a "west coast style"  pale ale.

That's pretty random. And I guess Ipswich is too far for it to be possible that it's a reference to the state route.
It seems like New England breweries have tried a few "West Coast IPAs" but, to me, they've always just tasted like slightly hoppier English IPAs. Maybe that's actually the new style: New England IPA.

Quote from: english si on September 11, 2016, 04:04:29 AM
There's also this pretentious place: 101cider.

Have you been there, or are just assuming they're pretentious by making the cider/beer hybrid? I mean, from the pics online, it looks pretty pretentious, but I don't know.

jeffandnicole

Another brewery with a road related theme is the Double Nickel Brewery in Pennsauken, NJ.  www.dnbcbeer.com

The name comes from a situation many decades ago at the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge. The toll was 5 cents. When the toll was doubled, it became known as the double nickel! How they even thought of that when they wanted to open a brewery, I'll never know. Guess I'll have to go up, try a few beers and ask!

jwolfer

Intuition ale works in Jacksonville FL has i10 IPA . One of my favorites

coatimundi

Quote from: jwolfer on September 11, 2016, 09:36:17 PM

Ah-ha, that's the one I mentioned in my OP. Good for them that they're canning. I thought it was a cool place when I was down there (2009 or 2010), and I remember liking the beers enough. I'm a little surprised that they still have that name on it. Maybe it was catchy. They seemed like they were young then, so I thought they would have changed the lineup some.

jwolfer

Quote from: coatimundi on September 11, 2016, 09:49:31 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on September 11, 2016, 09:36:17 PM

Ah-ha, that's the one I mentioned in my OP. Good for them that they're canning. I thought it was a cool place when I was down there (2009 or 2010), and I remember liking the beers enough. I'm a little surprised that they still have that name on it. Maybe it was catchy. They seemed like they were young then, so I thought they would have changed the lineup some.
I missed the reference in your original post.  They just opened a new location near the stadium on the other side of downtown.  I split a pitcher on another intuition brew last night. Yummy

cl94

Davidson Brothers has an I-87 IPA
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jbnati27

East of Cincinnati on US 50, there's:

They have also branched out into canoe/kayak rental and cycling. You can decide for yourself if you think that's a good combination or not. I can see both sides of that argument.

coatimundi

Quote from: cl94 on September 12, 2016, 01:03:40 PM
Davidson Brothers has an I-87 IPA

That "I-" annoys me... A lot.

Quote from: jbnati27 on September 12, 2016, 02:27:58 PM
They have also branched out into canoe/kayak rental and cycling. You can decide for yourself if you think that's a good combination or not. I can see both sides of that argument.

I mean, I've been drunk biking before, but I wouldn't call it "cycling," more "getting around without a DUI" (though, in AZ at least, you can still get one on a bike, and it's the same charge as if in a car).
The water activities are concerning though.

Takumi

I need to find some of these and try them.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thenetwork

Northeast Ohio has a beer called Old 21, referring to this:

https://goo.gl/images/1NSfz1

Problem is, if you are truly referring to the segments of Old 21 in Ohio, then is should have been a US-21 shield that they used.  Segments of "Old 21" were actually stretches of US-21 that were decommissioned or rerouted onto new alignments on I-77 -- as SR-21!!!

english si

http://www.watlingstreetbeer.com/ <-named after the 1927 year old Roman Road across England.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.