News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Easy national-level highways to clinch

Started by epzik8, August 31, 2016, 06:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

I-41 and/or 43 are pretty frequently clinched during football season, I would imagine (although probably not all at once, in 41's case).
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

coatimundi

Quote from: sparker on September 01, 2016, 02:58:06 AM
Quote from: coatimundi on September 01, 2016, 02:04:48 AM
I-12 is also a pretty easy clinch, but it's out of the way of most.
And miss the food in NOLA?  Not a chance in hell!  If I ever went on a clinching binge, I-12 would likely be one of the last to get done!

Agreed, but Slidell is only a half hour from the French Quarter without traffic. People do that drive every day. As a roadgeek, I think it's worth a trip to see the I-10 Bonnet Carre Spillway viaduct, and the impressive I-310 interchange. The Zapp's factory is close by too. The problem is then what to do in Baton Rouge? But the easy answer is "turn around".

dgolub

New Jersey has a few US routes that contained entirely or almost entirely within the state.  US 130 was already mentioned.  There's also US 46 and US 206.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

sparker

Quote from: coatimundi on September 01, 2016, 06:42:18 PM
Quote from: sparker on September 01, 2016, 02:58:06 AM
Quote from: coatimundi on September 01, 2016, 02:04:48 AM
I-12 is also a pretty easy clinch, but it's out of the way of most.
And miss the food in NOLA?  Not a chance in hell!  If I ever went on a clinching binge, I-12 would likely be one of the last to get done!

Agreed, but Slidell is only a half hour from the French Quarter without traffic. People do that drive every day. As a roadgeek, I think it's worth a trip to see the I-10 Bonnet Carre Spillway viaduct, and the impressive I-310 interchange. The Zapp's factory is close by too. The problem is then what to do in Baton Rouge? But the easy answer is "turn around".
Another answer is:  stay in Baton Rouge during Mardi Gras, when (a) you can't find a hotel room in NOLA -- they're all booked, and (b) if you could, the hoteliers would have jacked the price up by triple-digit percentages.  Done this a couple of times, it's not a bad drive up I-10 (I don't drink, so the drive back is not an issue!).  Stayed in Slidell once back in the '80's; don't drink the tap water there, it's pretty brackish!  Definitely agree re the spillway bridge and the I-310 interchange; certainly breaks up the relative monotony of the NOLA-Baton trip!  And I have driven on I-12 from Baton Rouge east to the Pontchartrain causeway (had to do that one!), but not east of there.

txstateends

TX ones I know of::::
US 57, 96, 175, 181
Alt US 77, 90, 281
I- 2, 27, 37, 45, 110, 345, 410, 610, 635, 820
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

sparker

Out here CA way, I-8 is a pretty simple clinch if you're heading east from anywhere in SoCal; any of the other 5 1-2di's that serve the state would take some time & effort.  Of course, since the state went on a tear 52 years ago and 86'ed much of the US highway system in the state, the only easily clinchable one left is 199.  Although it's a somewhat lengthy proposition, clinching US 101 -- especially from south to north -- is a real pleasure (I've done it 3 times - 2 in segments, 1 on a deliberate dedicated trip).  :spin:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: mariethefoxy on September 01, 2016, 04:22:25 PM
I-295, I-495, I-695, I-895, I-278, I-478, I-678 in NY. Same with I-280 and I-287, If you live in the NYC Metro area you got a lot of interstates you can get to in a relatively small area.
Just about any 3di would count for that matter, as they're all relatively short.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

DevalDragon

SD Mapman

I'm surprised no one's posted US 350 yet. That won't take you that long.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

jmd41280

Not that I've ever tried it myself, but according to Google Maps you can theoretically clinch both segments of US 422 in a little over 8 hrs depending on traffic (not accounting for gas/food/bathroom stops).  Both segments are connected by US 22>I-99>PA Turnpike>US 15>I-83>US 322 in this case.

US 422 clincher
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

7/8

Since someone else brought up Quebec's Autoroutes, I guess I can bring up Ontario's 400-series (since the TCH isn't too important in Ontario :))

The 402, 405, 412, and 416 are probably the easiest, since most people who drive these do the whole highway at once. The 409 and 420 are also very short highways.

Scott5114

Quote from: DevalDragon on September 02, 2016, 08:18:02 PM
Interstate 27 is a good easy drive.

Agreed. When I was learning to drive, we went out to I-27 to give me some Interstate experience in a low-traffic area.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

oscar

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 02, 2016, 09:17:37 PM
I'm surprised no one's posted US 350 yet. That won't take you that long.

But it'll feel that way. It has to be among Colorado's most boring highways.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

sparker

If you're ever in southern Kansas (maybe doing a Doolin-Dalton Gang hangout tour after repeated listenings to the Eagles' "Desperado"), US 166 would only take a few hours to clinch (ever since it was truncated back from Springfield after I-44 was completed). 

fillup420

US 264. It begins at I-440 on the east side of Raleigh, and ends at US 64 just a few miles west of 64's east end on the Outer Banks. From Raleigh to Greenville 264 is a freeway, then past Greenville it drops to 2 lanes till its terminus. Great long alternative to 64 if you're heading to the coast!

DandyDan

Quote from: pianocello on September 01, 2016, 05:43:34 PM
I-41 and/or 43 are pretty frequently clinched during football season, I would imagine (although probably not all at once, in 41's case).
I don't think 43 would be either, because I would assume the Beloit football fans would just turn north at 41.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

sparker

If you get to one end reasonably early in the morning, US 44 can be clinched in a day (I did it back in '92, east to west) -- but be prepared for a lot of city traffic (Providence, Hartford & associated suburbs). 

cl94

Eastern I-86 is a pretty easy clinch. I-89 and I-91 are pretty easy as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sparker

Quote from: Rothman on September 06, 2016, 11:33:17 AM
Quote from: cl94 on September 06, 2016, 11:30:00 AM
Eastern I-86 is a pretty easy clinch.

Which one? :P
The one (segment) east of I-81 is a REALLY REALLY easy clinch! :biggrin:

cl94

Quote from: sparker on September 06, 2016, 04:04:38 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 06, 2016, 11:33:17 AM
Quote from: cl94 on September 06, 2016, 11:30:00 AM
Eastern I-86 is a pretty easy clinch.

Which one? :P
The one (segment) east of I-81 is a REALLY REALLY easy clinch! :biggrin:

I was referring to the thing as a whole, but the eastern one takes about 10 minutes. Driving from I-90 to I-87 can even be done in a reasonably-short amount of time (5-6 hours) and the scenery is amazing. Does the clinch still count if we drive it before a section is designated?  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

7/8

TCH 106 in Nova Scotia is another easy clinch.

And in honour of my 500th post (not related to this thread) :)

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jp the roadgeek

US 340 can be done in 3 hours.  Can do one of the VA segments in a couple of minutes. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.