News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois interesting bid annoucements

Started by Revive 755, June 05, 2013, 10:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on October 08, 2018, 01:21:32 PM
Quote from: Brandon on October 08, 2018, 11:50:41 AM
Why not just bite the bullet and widen IL-47 to four lanes? 

On the way to my Metra train this AM, I went on the section of IL 47 four-lane from I-80 to Caton Farm Road south of Yorkville. It's about 90% complete, with a short gap of paving on the north end for the future NB lanes and some shoulder work, installing signals at US 52, and a few other odds and ends. It will be about 12 miles of new 4-lane when fully open, probably late this fall. District 1 also programmed a 4-lane section between Galena Road (about a mile south into Kendall County) and Sugar Grove for construction, so at least it is on the horizon. And the Tollway will construct a respectable length of IL 47 to four-lanes when they redo the I-88 interchange.

I'mlovign the extra wide shoulder.  Would make bicycle riding from Morris to Yorkville easier.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: ET21 on October 08, 2018, 03:31:07 PM

On the way to my Metra train this AM, I went on the section of IL 47 four-lane from I-80 to Caton Farm Road south of Yorkville. It's about 90% complete, with a short gap of paving on the north end for the future NB lanes and some shoulder work, installing signals at US 52, and a few other odds and ends. It will be about 12 miles of new 4-lane when fully open, probably late this fall. District 1 also programmed a 4-lane section between Galena Road (about a mile south into Kendall County) and Sugar Grove for construction, so at least it is on the horizon. And the Tollway will construct a respectable length of IL 47 to four-lanes when they redo the I-88 interchange.

Not sure how far north they'll go, but the southern end from I-88 to Waubonsee will likely be done. They have a short 4-lane segment from Waubonsee to Cross St in Sugar Grove

The whole thing down to Morris should have been four-laned 10 or 15 years ago, in my opinion.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ET21

Quote from: kphoger on October 08, 2018, 03:38:12 PM

Not sure how far north they'll go, but the southern end from I-88 to Waubonsee will likely be done. They have a short 4-lane segment from Waubonsee to Cross St in Sugar Grove

The whole thing down to Morris should have been four-laned 10 or 15 years ago, in my opinion.

In fantasy land, IL-47 should have been the Prairie Parkway
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

inkyatari

Quote from: ET21 on October 08, 2018, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 08, 2018, 03:38:12 PM

In fantasy land, IL-47 should have been the Prairie Parkway
Bypass Morris, bypass Yorkville, 4 lane the rest..  Easy peasy

Rick Powell

The Preferred Alternative from the interchange study goes from Old Oaks Road/College Drive (existing 4-lane section in Sugar Grove) a little more than a mile south of I-88, north to Green Road about 2 1/2 miles north of I-88 (total length about 3.8 miles). The interchange and the IL 47 widening were treated as sort of separate but overlapping planning projects.

http://www.sugargroveinterchange.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/S-5_IL47-at-I88-GRAEF-Preferred-Alt.pdf

Crash_It

Quote from: inkyatari on October 08, 2018, 11:16:34 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 06, 2018, 12:29:34 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on October 05, 2018, 10:04:40 PM

* Item 8 converts the IL 47/Plato Road interchange to a roundabout

Oh god...don't tell me Illinois is going to start doing what Wisconsin does and start putting roundabouts on major highways in the middle of nowhere.  IIRC that's a 4-way stop right now...also something I'm not a fan of, when one road has much more traffic than the other.

Oh dear lord.  It's just a couple miles north of the other pointless roundabout on 47.

So you're complaining about no longer having to stop when no one is there? Don't understand that logic, it's been proven that RABs simplify the flow of traffic

inkyatari

Quote from: Crash_It on October 09, 2018, 01:34:50 PM

Oh god...don't tell me Illinois is going to start doing what Wisconsin does and start putting roundabouts on major highways in the middle of nowhere.  IIRC that's a 4-way stop right now...also something I'm not a fan of, when one road has much more traffic than the other.

Oh dear lord.  It's just a couple miles north of the other pointless roundabout on 47.

So you're complaining about no longer having to stop when no one is there? Don't understand that logic, it's been proven that RABs simplify the flow of traffic

Maybe the new one is justified, but the current one was a waste of money.

Crash_It

Quote from: inkyatari on October 09, 2018, 01:58:37 PM

Still, any construction project that helps with the flow of traffic is not a waste of money. Want to see a waste of money? Go to WI where you'll see WIS32 in a state of disrepair from the state line to racine with a couple of exceptions while, at the same time they resurfaced WIS165 when it's pavement had at least another 6 years of life left in it. Then, they added a new traffic light there that lasts up to 3 minutes even when there's no cross traffic.

inkyatari

Quote from: Crash_It on October 09, 2018, 04:18:15 PM

Still, any construction project that helps with the flow of traffic is not a waste of money. Want to see a waste of money? Go to WI where you'll see WIS32 in a state of disrepair from the state line to racine with a couple of exceptions while, at the same time they resurfaced WIS165 when it's pavement had at least another 6 years of life left in it. Then, they added a new traffic light there that lasts up to 3 minutes even when there's no cross traffic.
I drive I-55 every morning from I-80 to Weber Rd, and every evening from Weber Rd. to Lorenzo Rd. I know all about disrepair.

kphoger

any construction project that helps with the flow of traffic is not a waste of money.

Do you think about the things you say before you type them?
If IDOT had constructed a three-level stack interchange instead, wouldn't you say that's a waste of money?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: inkyatari on October 10, 2018, 08:51:56 AM
I know all about disrepair.

I'm totally going to take this quote out of context now. =P hahaha kidding

I drive I-55 every morning from I-80 to Weber Rd, and every evening from Weber Rd. to Lorenzo Rd. I know all about disrepair.

Yes I-55 is in horrible shape especially considering how recently it was reconstructed.  That's what bothers me the most--I don't think the pavement should have deteriorated that much in such a short period of time.

Also I-80 from Minooka to US30 in New Lenox is looking terri-bad as of late.  As of this year I've declared it downright atrocious...as just over the past year it's deteriorated surprisingly badly.  It's only going to get worse as IDOT takes their time deciding just what exactly they want to do with it (aka Phase I and Phase II then procuring the actual project).  I cross the Des Plaines River bridge every day for work, and ...hoo boy even the concrete pavement is getting sizeable chunks punched out of it.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

GeekJedi

Quote from: kphoger on October 10, 2018, 12:49:21 PM
Do you think about the things you say before you type them?

You must be lots of fun at parties.

If IDOT had constructed a three-level stack interchange instead, wouldn't you say that's a waste of money?

Not if the studies showed that it was the least expensive alternative to improve the flow for a given intersection.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

kphoger

Quote from: GeekJedi on October 10, 2018, 02:53:21 PM

Not if the studies showed that it was the least expensive alternative to improve the flow for a given intersection.

But that's not what he said.  He said "any construction project that helps with the flow of traffic."  And he said so in response to a post specifically about the intersection of Route 47 & Plato Road.

Please tell me you don't actually think a three-level stack interchange at Route 47 & Plato Road wouldn't be a waste of money.  It would fit his two original criteria:  (1) it's a construction project, and (2) it would improve the flow.  But it would still be a massive waste of money.

I am trying to drive home a serious point with this.  Just because something improves the flow of traffic, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a waste of money.  In your most recent comment that I quoted, you mention two factors side-by-side:  "least expensive" and "improve the flow".  But those two are not binary factors.  Often, the most expensive alternative improves traffic the most, the cheapest improves traffic the least, and the others fall somewhere in the middle.  The key question to ask about any given project is this:

Is it worth $x million to improve the traffic flow at this intersection by xx%?  Or better yet...
Is it worth taking $x million away from other projects to improve the traffic flow at this intersection by xx%?

If the improvement in traffic flow is negligible, then nearly any construction project should be called a waste of money.

Don't get me wrong:  I love roundabouts.  But what paulthemapguy was referring to is Wisconsin's habit of installing roundabouts where there was nothing wrong with the existing intersection design.  You might like what there ends up being, and so might I, and there might even be a slight improvement to traffic flow.  But, if they had just left well enough alone, then maybe they could have used that unspent money to do some of that resurfacing he was talking about.
Male pronouns, please.

paulthemapguy

I had an overall skepticism about roundabouts at first, but I'm very convinced now that they are the best decision in certain circumstances.  Putting them in the middle of nowhere on a high-speed road with a low ADT really doesn't make any sense to me.  Now that I've thought about it more, IL-47 can get pretty crowded.  So if that 4-way stop creates long queues on IL-47, maybe a roundabout would be a better alternative.  Not entirely convinced IL-47 and Plato will improve after roundabout installation, but I can be convinced otherwise--and I WILL be convinced if the realtime result improves, obviously.

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 10, 2018, 04:44:51 PM
I had an overall skepticism about roundabouts at first, but I'm very convinced now that they are the best decision in certain circumstances.  Putting them in the middle of nowhere on a high-speed road with a low ADT really doesn't make any sense to me.  Now that I've thought about it more, IL-47 can get pretty crowded.  So if that 4-way stop creates long queues on IL-47, maybe a roundabout would be a better alternative.  Not entirely convinced IL-47 and Plato will improve after roundabout installation, but I can be convinced otherwise--and I WILL be convinced if the realtime result improves, obviously.

My region has several roundabouts at highway intersections in rural areas.  In my experience, they're a great improvement over the high-speed T-bone and rear-end accidents that used to happen before they were converted to roundabouts.  And honestly, isn't anything an improvement over a four-way stop?
Male pronouns, please.

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 10, 2018, 02:30:56 PM

Also I-80 from Minooka to US30 in New Lenox is looking terri-bad as of late. 

If you're not riding the left lane between Minooka and at least 55, you're just begging for your car to get destroyed.  EB just before the 2 Mile I-55 BGS is a HUGE deteriorating spot in the pavement. No sir, not riding on it.

inkyatari

Have I told you I hate you yet?   :-D

Yes I-55 is in horrible shape especially considering how recently it was reconstructed. 
I really hate the piecemeal patching they're currently doing on I-55.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on October 10, 2018, 05:00:20 PM

Yes I-55 is in horrible shape especially considering how recently it was reconstructed. 
I really hate the piecemeal patching they're currently doing on I-55.

Damn, the patching is almost as bumpy as the rotten pavement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

GeekJedi

Putting them in the middle of nowhere on a high-speed road with a low ADT really doesn't make any sense to me. 

Actually, those are some of the *best* places to put them. They all but eliminate high-speed accidents and fatalities, without the inconvenience of a 4-way stop.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: GeekJedi on October 10, 2018, 06:38:26 PM
Putting them in the middle of nowhere on a high-speed road with a low ADT really doesn't make any sense to me. 

Actually, those are some of the *best* places to put them. They all but eliminate high-speed accidents and fatalities, without the inconvenience of a 4-way stop.

I'm having a hard time believing this, but if I got some real-time experience with a roundabout in the middle of nowhere, I could be convinced.  When you have a yield on a high-speed road instead of a stop sign, it creates ambiguity in what you need to do as a driver.  With a stop sign, you stop--no question.  With a yield sign, you have to look to your left to decide whether to stop or proceed.  I can see drivers failing to make that decision of whether to stop or proceed based on traffic activity from the left.

I guess that if a spot is *TRULY* middle-of-nowhere, you wouldn't have conditions warranting a 4-way stop anyway.  If an intersection is a 4-way stop recommended by traffic study, it might be true that ALL of those could be improved with roundabout installation (depending on the resources you'd want to invest).  But if it's just a 4-way stop in the middle of nowhere because of precedent with a tiny ADT, no one is going to invest in upgrading that intersection in ANY way, shape or form  :-D  So it depends on what we're defining as "middle of nowhere."  I just drove through North Dakota this year so I have reshaped my perspective on how "nowhere" a place can really be!

Quote from: inkyatari on October 10, 2018, 05:00:20 PM

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Quote from: inkyatari on October 10, 2018, 04:58:29 PM
If you're not riding the left lane between Minooka and at least 55, you're just begging for your car to get destroyed.  EB just before the 2 Mile I-55 BGS is a HUGE deteriorating spot in the pavement. No sir, not riding on it.

Westbound from I-55 to Minooka is almost as bad.  But yeah that eastbound segment in particular is atrocious.  Agreeing to ride that section of I-80 is a pact of automobile destruction.

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 11, 2018, 10:35:51 AM

I'm having a hard time believing this, but if I got some real-time experience with a roundabout in the middle of nowhere, I could be convinced.  When you have a yield on a high-speed road instead of a stop sign, it creates ambiguity in what you need to do as a driver.  With a stop sign, you stop--no question.  With a yield sign, you have to look to your left to decide whether to stop or proceed.  I can see drivers failing to make that decision of whether to stop or proceed based on traffic activity from the left.

I guess that if a spot is *TRULY* middle-of-nowhere, you wouldn't have conditions warranting a 4-way stop anyway.  If an intersection is a 4-way stop recommended by traffic study, it might be true that ALL of those could be improved with roundabout installation (depending on the resources you'd want to invest).  But if it's just a 4-way stop in the middle of nowhere because of precedent with a tiny ADT, no one is going to invest in upgrading that intersection in ANY way, shape or form  :-D  So it depends on what we're defining as "middle of nowhere."  I just drove through North Dakota this year so I have reshaped my perspective on how "nowhere" a place can really be!

Here's a good example in my area.  US-400 has an AADT of around 4000 at this location (30% of which is trucks), while K-47 has an AADT of only one-third that figure.  Almost nobody drives into Fredonia itself who isn't local.  It used to be controlled by a two-way STOP, which on the surface seems like it should suffice.  However, that gas station on the east side of the road is a hugely popular pit-stop for people traveling from Wichita to Missouri, as it is the only gas station for miles and miles along 400 that doesn't have a distinctly "rural" (read: grungy) atmosphere.  Not only does that mean a lot of turning trucks, but also a lot of Branson-bound and Lake of the Ozarks-bound RVs and camping trailers.  Rear-end and T-bone collisions were common, what with all the turning traffic.  Now, with the roundabout, accidents are fewer and less severe.  The main design failure is the hard curbs, which are not exactly truck- and RV-friendly and have apparently led to tire blowouts.
Male pronouns, please.

GeekJedi

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 11, 2018, 10:35:51 AM

I'm talking about a 2-way stop (though even a 4-way could be considered). The issue here is that you can't "blow through" a roundabout. Any accident at one would be at a low speed. That's why they're favored in remote locations where you have two fairly significant roads connect (even if they don't have a ton of traffic).

But, alas, I'm getting off-topic. There are a bunch of threads dedicated to roundabouts. Sorry for the derail!

kphoger

Quote from: GeekJedi on October 11, 2018, 02:04:48 PM
The issue here is that you can't "blow through" a roundabout.

Yes you can.  Just ask tradephoric for examples of people driving straight into the central island.
Male pronouns, please.

Crash_It

Hmm, I drove I55 down to Springfield as recently as August and didn't notice anything unacceptably rough, there were a couple of failing patches here and there but nowhere near as bad as WIS32 from the State line to Racine or US12 through Walworth county or even US20 through LaPorte County IN before they resurfaced it.

Revive 755

List of projects for the January 18, 2019 Letting is up.  Of note:

* Item 93 is a "[r]ealignment and widening project on US 30 at the intersections with Harvey Rd. and Treasure Drive" in Kendall County.

* Item 113 involves a high friction surface treatment and traffic signal upgrades on Kirk Road between IL 56 and Cherry Lane in Kane County.

* Item 118 is for an intersection improvement for the Randall Road/Stearns Road intersection in Kane County.  The pay item list has signal masts arms with lengths of 78 and 80 feet.

* Item 133 involves construction of two roundabouts in Highland:  One at the Broadway/St. Rose Road intersection, and another at the Iberg Road/ Veterans Honor Parkway intersection.

* Item 143 is for modifications at 27 intersections in southern Kane County.  Appears to be a lot of signal work.

* Item 144 is for improvements to the Kirk Road/Fabyan Parkway intersection in Kane County.

* Item 151 involves reconstruction of "Prospect Avenue from Curtis Road to Windsor Rd. in the City of Champaign."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.