News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

(reply to deleted post)

Do we need to add a disclaimer like on railfan sites that we don't have employee records? :bigass:

Nothing against you, but you'd want to check with AHTD.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stratuscaster

As someone that's made the drive from Chicagoland to Hoxie more than a few times over the last 30 years, just 4-laning the section between Poplar Bluff and Pocahontas (along with a well-placed Pocahontas bypass) would improve things greatly.

I-39

Quote from: Stratuscaster on February 22, 2015, 12:19:06 AM
As someone that's made the drive from Chicagoland to Hoxie more than a few times over the last 30 years, just 4-laning the section between Poplar Bluff and Pocahontas (along with a well-placed Pocahontas bypass) would improve things greatly.

I agree to a certain extent, but since they have already built the freeway to Hoxie/Walnut Ridge, I would build an expressway with the option to later convert to freeway/interstate. They wouldn't need to put in the interchanges and grade separations right away, only later if traffic warranted it. Upgrading the corridor into an extension of either I-30 or I-57 should still be the long term goal, but an interim expressway would be fine (considering funding restraints by both Arkansas and Missouri). It would cost a little less then building a full blown freeway. 

Although personally, I think Arkansas should focus on finishing I-49 before finishing this.

cbalducc

Is the new US 67 complete to Walnut Ridge yet?

Grzrd

IDriveArkansas is currently projecting a Mid-2016 completion date.

Grzrd

Quote from: cbalducc on March 25, 2015, 10:50:04 AM
Is the new US 67 complete to Walnut Ridge yet?

This May 8 TV video includes some construction footage, reports that 2.5 miles of the project remain to be paved and also reports that everything should be completed by Fall 2016:

Looking toward the project for the Highway 67 at Hoxie it doesn't look like there has been much improvement.
However, Resident Engineer of the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department Shannon Luke said a lot of work has been done.
Luke said the reason people in the area may start seeing more equipment near the Hoxie area is because the project is actually making it's way closer there.
He said they have been working from south to north for the project and over the past year alone they have covered around 5 miles.
"The first 7 miles of the job have been paved, and the remaining two and a half miles there is what you're seeing the activity on," Luke said.
While two and a half miles remain, Luke said the remaining work will take some time and with weather permitting the project should be done by Fall 2016.

Bobby5280

QuoteI agree to a certain extent, but since they have already built the freeway to Hoxie/Walnut Ridge, I would build an expressway with the option to later convert to freeway/interstate. They wouldn't need to put in the interchanges and grade separations right away, only later if traffic warranted it.

They can do that if they just secure enough right of way and mandate set-backs for new businesses and residences be far enough off the road to provide room any future upgrades. If they don't manage the corridor properly it will just get boxed in with development right up to the edge of the highway. Then any future freeway would have to be built on an entirely new alignment.

I-39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 27, 2015, 11:52:14 PM
QuoteI agree to a certain extent, but since they have already built the freeway to Hoxie/Walnut Ridge, I would build an expressway with the option to later convert to freeway/interstate. They wouldn't need to put in the interchanges and grade separations right away, only later if traffic warranted it.

They can do that if they just secure enough right of way and mandate set-backs for new businesses and residences be far enough off the road to provide room any future upgrades. If they don't manage the corridor properly it will just get boxed in with development right up to the edge of the highway. Then any future freeway would have to be built on an entirely new alignment.

That's where mapping and corridor protection comes in

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 02, 2014, 08:22:44 PM
AHTD's Sept. 30 presentation to the Blytheville Lions Club includes a slide providing a Feb 2015 completion date for the Cash Bypass (page 13/41 of pdf)

This July 24 AHTD presentation to the Jonesboro Exchange Club indicates that the four remaining sections of AR 226 under construction between US 67 and US 49 are estimated to be completed in December, 2015 (p. 46/57 of pdf):

KamKam

The 2015-2016 Map shows HWY 226 between U.S. 67 and 49 be completed as a divided highway

The Ghostbuster

Somehow, I think the likelihood of the US 67 freeway getting an Interstate designation anytime soon is slim to none.

codyg1985

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2015, 07:31:46 PM
Somehow, I think the likelihood of the US 67 freeway getting an Interstate designation anytime soon is slim to none.

At least not until it connects with Poplar Bluff.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 29, 2015, 07:30:52 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 28, 2015, 07:31:46 PM

At least not until it connects with Poplar Bluff.

Worry about the road, not the designation, like US 71, AR 540 , I-540, I-49
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Road Hog

Quote from: KamKam on July 28, 2015, 04:25:42 PM
The 2015-2016 Map shows HWY 226 between U.S. 67 and 49 be completed as a divided highway

They did jump the gun, but the map does include 2016, by when 226 will be complete.

I-39

If they ever finish the US 60/67 corridor between Sikeston and Little Rock as a freeway, it should become I-53, since it fits in with the numbering system and it is not a used interstate number yet.

Road Hog

Quote from: I-39 on August 01, 2015, 11:45:02 PM
If they ever finish the US 60/67 corridor between Sikeston and Little Rock as a freeway, it should become I-53, since it fits in with the numbering system and it is not a used interstate number yet.

It will tie in directly with I-57 in Sikeston. Seems kind of silly to give it a different number when you have a direct connection between Chicago and Little Rock. Diagonal interstates break the grid regularly.

Extend the connection to between Dallas and Chicago and it's better to have just two numbers –30 and 57 – than a needless three.

US 41

Quote from: Road Hog on August 02, 2015, 08:43:11 AM

It will tie in directly with I-57 in Sikeston. Seems kind of silly to give it a different number when you have a direct connection between Chicago and Little Rock. Diagonal interstates break the grid regularly.

Extend the connection to between Dallas and Chicago and it's better to have just two numbers –30 and 57 – than a needless three.

Or just leave it alone and call it US 67.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

US71

Quote from: US 41 on August 02, 2015, 11:11:43 AM

Makes sense to me, but if they call it an Interstate, maybe they can get more Federal money to waste?

Rothman

Quote from: US71 on August 02, 2015, 12:45:57 PM

Makes sense to me, but if they call it an Interstate, maybe they can get more Federal money to waste?

As has been mentioned multiple times on here, there is no additional federal funds for interstates any longer and hasn't been since MAP-21 was signed.  The only major division of federal fund eligibility is between funds to be used on the National Highway System (NHS) and those that can be used on all federal-aid highways.  There are no major federal fund sources specifically tied to interstate highways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Quote from: Rothman on August 02, 2015, 01:58:23 PM

As has been mentioned multiple times on here, there is no additional federal funds for interstates any longer and hasn't been since MAP-21 was signed.  The only major division of federal fund eligibility is between funds to be used on the National Highway System (NHS) and those that can be used on all federal-aid highways.  There are no major federal fund sources specifically tied to interstate highways.

Then an Interstate designation would serve no useful purpose (like I-49 north of Carthage ;) )

Rothman

Quote from: US71 on August 02, 2015, 04:20:13 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 02, 2015, 01:58:23 PM

Then an Interstate designation would serve no useful purpose (like I-49 north of Carthage ;) )

We're only talking funding-wise.  FHWA now only blesses highways adhering to certain engineering specifications and standards with the holy interstate shield.

Also donned on me over the weekend that this is another opportunity to point out another reason why the NY 17/I-86 conversion has come to a standstill.  Although there are politicians out there convinced that interstates stimulate economy -- I mean, just look at Binghamton, NY!  Three interstate highways has made it the economic engine of the State! </mega sarcasm> -- the weaker incentives can be a factor in such capital program decision-making.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cjk374

If they ever label US 67 as an interstate, you can kiss those US 167 & US 64 overlap signs good bye.   :no:  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on August 02, 2015, 06:38:29 PM
If they ever label US 67 as an interstate, you can kiss those US 167 & US 64 overlap signs good bye.   :no:  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Good point!

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the subject headline should just say US 67, since there is no guarantee that the corridor will become Interstate 30, nor whether it will become an Interstate at all.

codyg1985

I think AHTD has referred to the corridor in the past as a future extension of I-30, hence the thread title. I would prefer it to be I-57, but for now that is fantasy land until the freeway is completed.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.