News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Call it I-140 or I-157

Or split the difference and call it 43 1/2 ;)  :spin:

cjk374 has a point though: if the road does get promoted to Interstate status,  the 64/64/167 multiplex signs would disappear.

Also: would 67B disappear as well in favor of BL 30 ?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

There are several milage signs on the way north out of LR that list St. Louis as the 3rd destination. I think the first ones show St. Louis as over 300 miles away. Just my useless 2 cents worth of opinion:  that shows me that AHTD has been planning to make this an interstate for many years. They could have chosen a more local (read "in Arkansas") 3rd destination for US 67. "Big city" destinations have always seemed more befitting of interstates.

That's just me... I can be crazy sometimes.  :)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

Quote from: cjk374 on August 04, 2015, 04:45:01 PM
There are several milage signs on the way north out of LR that list St. Louis as the 3rd destination. I think the first ones show St. Louis as over 300 miles away. Just my useless 2 cents worth of opinion:  that shows me that AHTD has been planning to make this an interstate for many years. They could have chosen a more local (read "in Arkansas") 3rd destination for US 67. "Big city" destinations have always seemed more befitting of interstates.

I have noticed that too. Plus, the freeway has its own mileposts and exits starting in LR at the I-40 interchange.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cjk374

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 04, 2015, 06:11:29 PM

I have noticed that too. Plus, the freeway has its own mileposts and exits starting in LR at the I-40 interchange.

I forgot about the exit numbers starting at I-40 interchange. Definitely supports my theory about AHTD's thoughts on the future of the US 67 corridor.

US71

Who can forget when Exit 2 was EXIT 2 ? ;)

Road Hog

If and when a continuous freeway is built from Sikeston to Little Rock, it will be given an odd number for the simple fact it runs more of a north-south vector than an east-west one. Since the existing US 60 freeway continues directly from I-57, the entire freeway should continue that number. The impetus behind naming it I-30, Mike Beebe, is out of office and I doubt Asa Hutchinson, who is from NWA, cares either way.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on August 04, 2015, 09:46:48 PM

I remember that. Has something happened to exit 2 since I last drove through there?

US 41

If US 67 is ever labeled as an interstate I think it should be I-57 based on an idea I just thought of. I-57 could be routed on the existing I-530 to Pine Bluff. Maybe eventually it could run all the way south to I-69 and maybe even Louisiana.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: Road Hog on August 05, 2015, 01:40:17 AM
If and when a continuous freeway is built from Sikeston to Little Rock, it will be given an odd number for the simple fact it runs more of a north-south vector than an east-west one. Since the existing US 60 freeway continues directly from I-57, the entire freeway should continue that number. The impetus behind naming it I-30, Mike Beebe, is out of office and I doubt Asa Hutchinson, who is from NWA, cares either way.

NWA has pretty much taking over state wide offices, even on the Washington DC level. Oh, and Akansas has turned burning red.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on August 05, 2015, 06:04:57 AM

I remember that. Has something happened to exit 2 since I last drove through there?

It's now Trammel Rd

capt.ron

Quote from: US 41 on August 05, 2015, 10:00:57 AM
If US 67 is ever labeled as an interstate I think it should be I-57 based on an idea I just thought of. I-57 could be routed on the existing I-530 to Pine Bluff. Maybe eventually it could run all the way south to I-69 and maybe even Louisiana.
I'm definitely in favor of it being called I-57 and there is a short 2 lane section of AR 530 that is south of I-530 that could be 4 laned which I think it's supposed to tie in with future I-69, if / when the AR portion gets built. And then have future I-57 parallel US 425 to Monroe, LA.

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on August 06, 2015, 11:36:20 AM

It's now Trammel Rd

I guess they just had to put a label on it.   :-D

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on August 07, 2015, 03:09:32 PM
Quote from: US71 on August 06, 2015, 11:36:20 AM

It's now Trammel Rd

I guess they just had to put a label on it.   :-D

I-90 in South Dakota has several Exit Exits ;)

cjk374

I-40 in New Mexico does also. They seem to be locations of former businesses that were located along what was then US 66.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 27, 2015, 06:50:14 PM
This May 8 TV video includes some construction footage, reports that 2.5 miles of the project remain to be paved and also reports that everything should be completed by Fall 2016

This August 27 article reports that the AR 226 to Walnut Ridge section should be open to traffic in spring or summer 2016, and that AHTD is still studying alternatives for the Walnut Ridge to Missouri state line section:

If you look close enough, construction crews are visible along the second to last section of Highway 67 needed to connect Little Rock to St. Louis ....
The plan for the highway was created decades ago. Once this latest section is finished, there's only about 40 miles left of highway to construct before a Little Rock to St. Louis corridor is complete.
Though construction crews are visible, it will still be awhile before Hwy 67 from Hwy 226 to Walnut Ridge opens ....
The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department anticipates the road to be open sometime next spring or summer. Originally, AHTD expected the road to be open this fall.
Even though there's only about 3 miles left to pave, the base of the road must be constructed first.
As for the remainder of the Highway 67 route, it's still being decided on. Multiple routes have been proposed to connect Walnut Ridge to the Missouri line but AHTD is still looking into which will work best.

Anthony_JK

But...I-57 west of I-55???

If anything, make it I-53 and possibly extend it to meet I-55 at Festus, MO...then around St. Louis to the US 61/US 218/Avenue of The Saints corridor.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: Anthony_JK on August 28, 2015, 04:43:37 PM
If anything, make it I-53 and possibly extend it to meet I-55 at Festus, MO...then around St. Louis to the US 61/US 218/Avenue of The Saints corridor.
We'll survive if I-57 goes a bit west of I-55. The world won't end. Remember, I-55 falls east of I-57 towards the north end.

I-39

Quote from: Grzrd on August 28, 2015, 03:07:19 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 27, 2015, 06:50:14 PM
This May 8 TV video includes some construction footage, reports that 2.5 miles of the project remain to be paved and also reports that everything should be completed by Fall 2016

This August 27 article reports that the AR 226 to Walnut Ridge section should be open to traffic in spring or summer 2016, and that AHTD is still studying alternatives for the Walnut Ridge to Missouri state line section:

If you look close enough, construction crews are visible along the second to last section of Highway 67 needed to connect Little Rock to St. Louis ....
The plan for the highway was created decades ago. Once this latest section is finished, there's only about 40 miles left of highway to construct before a Little Rock to St. Louis corridor is complete.
Though construction crews are visible, it will still be awhile before Hwy 67 from Hwy 226 to Walnut Ridge opens ....
The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department anticipates the road to be open sometime next spring or summer. Originally, AHTD expected the road to be open this fall.
Even though there's only about 3 miles left to pave, the base of the road must be constructed first.
As for the remainder of the Highway 67 route, it's still being decided on. Multiple routes have been proposed to connect Walnut Ridge to the Missouri line but AHTD is still looking into which will work best.

Wow, this is taking forever to get done. The AR 226 to Walnut Ridge portion has been under construction for the last 6 years, that's insane! It should not take that long.

And they STILL haven't figured out what the heck to do north of Walnut Ridge to the state line? Are they going Interstate (or upgradable expressway) or not? At this rate, this isn't getting done for 20-30 years (conservatively).

US71

Split the difference:  :bigass:

The Ghostbuster

There was once a proposal to make US 67 Interstate 740, according to http://www.kurumi.com/roads/3di/i740.html. If that number had been implemented, it would have been a rather long road for an odd-numbered 3 digit Interstate Highway.

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on August 31, 2015, 06:25:05 PM

:pan:  :pan:  :pan:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

noelbotevera

Quote from: US71 on August 31, 2015, 06:25:05 PM

I-38 anyone?

The Ghostbuster

Maybe we should wait until after the US 67 freeway connects Interstate 40 with Interstate 55/57 before discussing giving it an Interstate designation. When/if that will happen is unknown at this time.

SteveG1988

57 and 30 are both out of the grid, but I give non 0 and 5 routes a pass if they're diagonal ones, since they're connecting bits that are missed by other interstates. 57 serves places not served by 65 or 55. 30 to me should be extended not to the north, but to the north west. Have it meet the end of 44, or 27.

57 to me makes more sense as it is a more of a north/south routing once you get into AR.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

I-39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2015, 05:18:44 PM
Maybe we should wait until after the US 67 freeway connects Interstate 40 with Interstate 55/57 before discussing giving it an Interstate designation. When/if that will happen is unknown at this time.

Exactly. Even if Arkansas continues Interstate-grade construction north of Walnut Ridge (which they should, but it is not a guarantee at this point, does anyone know what's going on there?), it's unlikely Missouri would upgrade the US 60/67 corridor to full freeway between the state line and Sikeston anytime soon given their budget woes. So any Interstate designation is years (decades) away if ever.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.