News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtd67

Quote from: US 41 on September 07, 2016, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 01, 2016, 10:56:50 AM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 31, 2016, 10:19:23 PM
If they can have various disconnected segments of I-69 across the country then I see no problem with US-67 North of Little Rock being designated as I-57. There is a much better chance of it being completed between Walnut Ridge and Sikeston than I-69 getting built through Arkansas and Mississippi.

IF Missouri goes along. Otherwise, it's just political grandstanding.

I know this is completely fictional, but I think it would be better if AR 226 was upgraded to interstate quality and then a new interstate were built from Jonesboro over to I-155. Then just sign it as I-69 so it can get finished within the next 20 years. At Texarkana it can just follow US 59 down to Laredo.

It may be fictional, but it makes more since than what they are trying to do with with I-69 now.  They could extend the freeway from Walnut Ridge and head directly east on a new alignment north of Paragould to connect over to 412 then to I-155.   Another option would be as you suggested, upgrade 226 to interstate.  This could loop around the south and east of Jonesboro and connect to the east of Paragould to 412 to I-155.  It could tie into the industrial area east of Jonesboro by going this way.

codyg1985

Quote from: US 41 on September 07, 2016, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 01, 2016, 10:56:50 AM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 31, 2016, 10:19:23 PM
If they can have various disconnected segments of I-69 across the country then I see no problem with US-67 North of Little Rock being designated as I-57. There is a much better chance of it being completed between Walnut Ridge and Sikeston than I-69 getting built through Arkansas and Mississippi.

IF Missouri goes along. Otherwise, it's just political grandstanding.

I know this is completely fictional, but I think it would be better if AR 226 was upgraded to interstate quality and then a new interstate were built from Jonesboro over to I-155. Then just sign it as I-69 so it can get finished within the next 20 years. At Texarkana it can just follow US 59 down to Laredo.

Generally the US 412 corridor between Walnut Ridge and Kennett would be what I would take between I-155 and US 67 as an alternative to I-55 and I-40 to get between Dallas and Chicago (or Indianapolis or points northeast). If/when US 412 is improved between those two areas, then it would provide an even better alternative. It would certainly take trucks off of clogged I-40 between West Memphis and North Little Rock
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

chays

Now that US 67 is on its new alignment between AR 226 and Hoxie, are the old US 67 signs taken down?  Or is that old alignment now signed as "Old US 67"?

sparker

Quote from: chays on September 11, 2016, 05:10:53 PM
Now that US 67 is on its new alignment between AR 226 and Hoxie, are the old US 67 signs taken down?  Or is that old alignment now signed as "Old US 67"?
Last I heard, it will be redesignated as AR 367 south of Walnut Ridge, like the original US 67 alignment to the south.

Tomahawkin

Anyone have pics of the new extension to Hoxie? Walnut Ridge? I haven't been on that road in 8 years

US71

Quote from: sparker on September 11, 2016, 05:46:25 PM
Last I heard, it will be redesignated as AR 367 south of Walnut Ridge, like the original US 67 alignment to the south.

AR 367 to US 412/AR 34 in Walnut Ridge (also replacing 67B from Hoxie to Walnut Ridge)

Was going to look this weekend, but was running late so skipped it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

chays

Quote from: US71 on September 12, 2016, 11:52:55 AM
Quote from: sparker on September 11, 2016, 05:46:25 PM

AR 367 to US 412/AR 34 in Walnut Ridge (also replacing 67B from Hoxie to Walnut Ridge)

Was going to look this weekend, but was running late so skipped it.
Thanks guys

KamKam

Yep AR 367 is what it'll be called. Makes More sense that way

US71

Quote from: KamKam on September 15, 2016, 07:33:39 PM
Yep AR 367 is what it'll be called. Makes More sense that way
367 up to US 412, then 67B (field verified)

New signs north of AR 226 are FHWA and not Clearview :)

US 63 is one exit NB, 2 exits SB (Hoxie and Jonesboro)

The Ghostbuster

Now if only they can decide whether or not the freeway will continue north of Walnut Ridge.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 13, 2016, 05:42:35 PM
Now if only they can decide whether or not the freeway will continue north of Walnut Ridge.
I just noticed, but north of the US 67/Byp US 63/US 412 interchange and south of the US 67/AR 34 bridge is stubs for the freeway continuation. There's even a couple of bridges where there's just grading.

I also just checked Wikipedia's Unused highways page, and these stubs aren't listed...
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

edwaleni

It is more likely that the following will occur. 

MoDOT is more interested in the US60 corridor between Springfield and Sikeston.

With the I-66 plan across Kentucky, Illinois and Missouri via Cape Girardeau dead in the water, MoDOT wants to continue to elevate the US60 route to interstate standards.

Most of the route east of Springfield is four-lane divided and several stretches are freeway-grade. On July 9, 2010, The Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) finished the process of upgrading US 60 to four lanes along a 59-mile (95 km) segment between Willow Springs and Van Buren. The completion of this project means that US 60 is now a four-lane facility from Springfield to Charleston, a distance of approximately 240 miles (390 km). A stretch of US 60 from east of US 65 in Springfield to Rogersville has been in long range plans to be upgraded to freeway status, removing all at-grade crossings, installing overpasses and interchanges, and access roads.

If this is the case then it is more likely that his route will be I-42 as a east-west interstate in some future.

What does this mean for US67/I-30?

If Arkansas chooses to extend the US67 express project to the state line then MoDOT will want to terminate the upgrade at Popular Bluff with a full exchange with the future E-W route.  If this would be considered an auxiliary route (like I-340) or a full route (like I-51 or I-53) is unknown as it is just so many years down the road.

MoDOT has been upgrading US67 between Poplar Bluff and Farmington, (south of St Louis) but most of this have been safety related upgrades, not a desire to take it to interstate standards. Any serious thoughts to further upgrades of US67 in this space would have to follow many years of I-55 capacity updates from Sikeston to Festus and is just not likely.

MoDOT has other issues at the moment as they can't get funding to connect to the Bella Vista Bypass and Arkansas had to pass a local tax to finish their end.

If Arkansas had extra money it would go into other plans, like the I-49 Bypass at Fort Smith, I-69 from McGehee to the I-69 bridge on the Mississippi and the AR-530 South extension to the future I-69 connecting with the Monticello bypass south of Wilmar. The US71 upgrades from Texarkana north to DeQueen.

Wayward Memphian

This article is mostly about Ark 18 but has a tidbit on US 67. It states an increase in truck traffic has been noticed with the new openings.

sparker

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on November 19, 2016, 09:30:35 AM
This article is mostly about Ark 18 but has a tidbit on US 67. It states an increase in truck traffic has been noticed with the new openings.

Wish a link to the article had been included.  In any case, it would be interesting to see if that increased truck traffic on US 67 turns east on US 412 to access the I-155 bridge into TN or if it continues into MO to (ostensibly) turn east on US 60 as a "shortcut" to I-57 -- or maybe even continues north on 67 into the St. Louis metro area.  With all the talk about Interstate "pick-a-number" being extended over US 67 and possibly 60, determining where the heavier traffic patterns exist today might be a reasonable next step in the process.   

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: sparker on November 19, 2016, 02:36:20 PM

Wish a link to the article had been included.  In any case, it would be interesting to see if that increased truck traffic on US 67 turns east on US 412 to access the I-155 bridge into TN or if it continues into MO to (ostensibly) turn east on US 60 as a "shortcut" to I-57 -- or maybe even continues north on 67 into the St. Louis metro area.  With all the talk about Interstate "pick-a-number" being extended over US 67 and possibly 60, determining where the heavier traffic patterns exist today might be a reasonable next step in the process.   

http://talkbusiness.net/2016/11/significant-highway-project-connecting-jonesboro-to-blytheville-set-to-begin-bridge-work-in-pocahontas-ongoing/

Bobby5280

Quote from: sparkerIn any case, it would be interesting to see if that increased truck traffic on US 67 turns east on US 412 to access the I-155 bridge into TN or if it continues into MO to (ostensibly) turn east on US 60 as a "shortcut" to I-57 -- or maybe even continues north on 67 into the St. Louis metro area.

It all depends on the destination.

Traffic coming from Little Rock heading to St. Louis would likely stay on US-67 past Poplar Bluff and take it all the way to Festus, MO where US-67 merges into I-55, about 25 miles South of St. Louis. The highway is completely 4-laned between Poplar Bluff and Festus and has some freeway quality segments along the way. It's not a perfectly straight route, but it is by far the shortest route.

I can't see traffic coming up through Walnut Ridge taking a right on US-412 to pick up I-155 unless it is headed to a destination in TN, KY or some other spot in the Ohio River Valley. It's about 75 miles between Walnut Ridge and the I-55/I-155 interchange in Hayti, AR. That compares to 52 miles between the US-60/US-67 interchange in Poplar Bluff and the I-55/I-57 interchange in Sikeston.

Overall, I think this future I-30 or I-57 corridor is more about building another direct link between the giant Chicago and Dallas-Fort Worth metro areas rather than perhaps providing a faster way to St. Louis or farther North along the Mississippi.

edwaleni

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on November 20, 2016, 07:09:17 PM
Quote from: sparker on November 19, 2016, 02:36:20 PM

http://talkbusiness.net/2016/11/significant-highway-project-connecting-jonesboro-to-blytheville-set-to-begin-bridge-work-in-pocahontas-ongoing/

US67 bridge upgrade in Pocahontas was a kind of "had to" upgrade. The north span was built in the early 50's and used a deficient rated steel truss while the south span used reinforced concrete and appears to have been built in the late 1970's.  With all the traffic lights in town, its no wonder driving here is called "Pokey". This was strictly an ageing structure replacement, not really an enhancement to traffic. If/when US67 Express reaches this area, a full bypass with a span over the Black River will be needed.

With the 2 lane road north of Pocahontas to Corning, I can't see this as being very optimal just yet.  MoDOT has US67 updated as far south as US160 south of Poplar Bluff.  If and when they (AR and MO) decide to close the gap, it will be a few years from now.

If/when I-69 through Arkansas is ever done, I wonder how much traffic it will leech off of US67 Express.

Tomahawkin

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 21, 2016, 02:31:07 PM
Quote from: sparkerIn any case, it would be interesting to see if that increased truck traffic on US 67 turns east on US 412 to access the I-155 bridge into TN or if it continues into MO to (ostensibly) turn east on US 60 as a "shortcut" to I-57 -- or maybe even continues north on 67 into the St. Louis metro area.

It all depends on the destination.

Traffic coming from Little Rock heading to St. Louis would likely stay on US-67 past Poplar Bluff and take it all the way to Festus, MO where US-67 merges into I-55, about 25 miles South of St. Louis. The highway is completely 4-laned between Poplar Bluff and Festus and has some freeway quality segments along the way. It's not a perfectly straight route, but it is by far the shortest route.

I can't see traffic coming up through Walnut Ridge taking a right on US-412 to pick up I-155 unless it is headed to a destination in TN, KY or some other spot in the Ohio River Valley. It's about 75 miles between Walnut Ridge and the I-55/I-155 interchange in Hayti, AR. That compares to 52 miles between the US-60/US-67 interchange in Poplar Bluff and the I-55/I-57 interchange in Sikeston.

Overall, I think this future I-30 or I-57 corridor is more about building another direct link between the giant Chicago and Dallas-Fort Worth metro areas rather than perhaps providing a faster way to St. Louis or farther North along the Mississippi.

I agree. I wanted to see this happen 15 years ago when I lived in backwards Jonesboro AR. That area needs the revenue. Hell they should toll the road to fund I-49 and help state interstate and state route improvements. Especially since I 40 needs them...

Bobby5280

I think I-40 is an important enough route that it can get by on its own. It's easily one of the most critical long distance routes in the entire Interstate highway system. As the needs come I-40 will be expanded to meet them. It's a more difficult go for I-49. That route is not fully built out yet and still subject to a lot of political second guessing. I think Arkansas will have a good slog of a battle to get the leg between Texarkana and Fort Smith built. Heck, just getting the bridge over the Arkansas River South of Alma has turned into a serious challenge.

The idea of tolling the super highway between Little Rock and Poplar Bluff is a risky one. For one thing the traffic levels would have to be high enough for the toll road to pay for itself. Another problem is most people really hate toll roads, despite the fairness one could argue that toll roads provide. Any turnpike has to be built and/or maintained on what it takes in from the toll revenue, rather than tax dollars. Any "conservative" should just absolutely love that, right? Not. Everyone is looking for a free ride in some respect, regardless of political ideology. We're all inherently selfish. That's the one big thing we all have in common. Some true leader just has to be willing to grow a big enough backbone to call us on all our contradictory B.S.

yakra

With the relocation of US67, US67Bus as hitherto known no longer connects to its parent at the south end. AHTD's Lawrence County map has it labeled as AR367 as far north as US412. Based on my GMSV adventures around the state, I'm betting that the state of affairs on the ground is as shown in OSM: AR367 has its north end at US412, and US67Bus now has its south end at US412. Which wouldn't surprise me in the least, as Arkansas is no stranger to bannered routes only connecting to the parent at one end.

Can anyone out there confirm whether this is the case?

Also, if anyone could point me to a link to AASHTO's approval of the US67 relocation (if there actually was one) and save me a little time searching for it myself on AASHTO's site, I'd be much obliged. :)
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

mvak36

Quote from: yakra on January 11, 2017, 03:05:15 PM

Also, if anyone could point me to a link to AASHTO's approval of the US67 relocation (if there actually was one) and save me a little time searching for it myself on AASHTO's site, I'd be much obliged. :)
See page 29 of the following link:http://route.transportation.org/Documents/Arkansas%20AM2013.pdf. That's the application.

Here's the approval: http://route.transportation.org/Documents/Report%20to%20SCOH%20USRN%20AM2013%20Oct18%20-%20Addendum%20Oct28.pdf

Is this what you were looking for?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

US71

Field research confirms AR 367 replaces 67B to US 412 at Walnut Ridge.  US 67B resumes 3 blocks west at US 412 and heads north.

yakra

Excellent! Thanks for the replies.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Grzrd

For what it's worth, AHTD has submitted the completion of US 67 to the Missouri state line as a 2023 letting for the Trump infrastructure plan (p. 9/132 of pdf):

sparker

Quote from: Grzrd on April 26, 2017, 06:11:48 PM
For what it's worth, AHTD has submitted the completion of US 67 to the Missouri state line as a 2023 letting for the Trump infrastructure plan (p. 9/132 of pdf):

Wonder if they coordinated anything with MO (state line-Poplar Bluff) regarding the US 67 project?  In any case, that's some wish list!  With the Monticello-McGehee (the $ figure quoted seems like a relative bargain -- maybe it's only for an initial 2-lanes) and Great River Bridge listed, it looks like ADOT is prepared to go pretty much "all in" on I-69.  Not surprising that widening I-40 between LR and Memphis would require $1B with all the structures required to cross the various floodplains along the route.     

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.