News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Preparations for 70 MPH speed limit in Maryland

Started by mcmc, August 19, 2015, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 22, 2015, 05:45:18 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on August 21, 2015, 07:01:17 PM
I-95: ...maybe between the Beltways, but traffic counts concern me (prevailing speeds are definitely above 70 though).

Wasn't this area one of the last to receive the 65 mph signage?  I really don't see stretch of highway being signed for 70. 

North of White Marsh though - definitely (other than the Susquahanna bridge area).

I see no reason to not sign I-95 from DE to 695 as 70mph. The bridge itself can have a lower limit due to crosswinds. There are worse sections of roads in other states that are signed as 70.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mcmc

Any idea if or when SHA will begin speed limit studies? Has SHA hinted that it likes or dislikes the statutory 70 MPH maximum?

MASTERNC

I-95: ...maybe between the Beltways, but traffic counts concern me (prevailing speeds are definitely above 70 though).

Wasn't this area one of the last to receive the 65 mph signage?  I really don't see stretch of highway being signed for 70. 

North of White Marsh though - definitely (other than the Susquahanna bridge area).

As far as major stretches of road?  Yes.  However, if you're technical, the last section to receive a 65 MPH speed limit was the stretch between I-695 and White Marsh (when the ETLs were completed).  Also, I-68 had a recent revision to 65 MPH (last couple of years) at the top of the hill east of Cumberland.

noelbotevera

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 22, 2015, 06:19:01 PM

As far as major stretches of road?  Yes.  However, if you're technical, the last section to receive a 65 MPH speed limit was the stretch between I-695 and White Marsh (when the ETLs were completed).  Also, I-68 had a recent revision to 65 MPH (last couple of years) at the top of the hill east of Cumberland.
I didn't really care and decided that just 20 miles of I-95 could be 70 MPH (between I-495 and I-195) - however, the portion between I-195 and I-395 I hesitated about - I think I-95 could be 70 through Baltimore.

1995hoo

The operative word in the final clause of the post immediately above mine is "could"!!!!!! I-95 through Baltimore will not be posted at 70 mph, even after the current construction is done.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 22, 2015, 09:43:08 PM
The operative word in the final clause of the post immediately above mine is "could"!!!!!! I-95 through Baltimore will not be posted at 70 mph, even after the current construction is done.

The Maryland Transportation Authority maintains all of I-95 through Baltimore City, and they tend to be very conservative when it comes to setting speed limits (consider the amount of time and hassle it took to increase the posted limit on Md. 200 from 55 MPH to 60 MPH).

Even if it stays at 50 MPH (or maybe 55), it's not a very long ride to get from one side of the city to the other. 

Beyond that, I do not think the interchanges are designed for speeds much higher than 55 MPH.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mcmc on August 22, 2015, 05:28:07 PM
Any idea if or when SHA will begin speed limit studies? Has SHA hinted that it likes or dislikes the statutory 70 MPH maximum?

No.  Keep in mind that the head of SHA is a new hire, who has not started yet (his first day is September 16).

But he comes to SHA from the Michigan Department of Transportation, a state that has long had (higher) posted speed limits on its freeway system than Maryland does, even in urban areas.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bsmart

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 20, 2015, 11:14:15 PM
Quote from: bsmart on August 20, 2015, 10:01:47 AM
I suspect that I-70 west of Exit 82 (Where it becomes 3 lanes where US 40 splits off) all the way to the PA state line could become 70 mph.  Right now it is 65 that whole way.

I am not so enthused about raising the speed limit on I-70 between Md. 66 (Boonsboro, Exit 35) and the half-interchange at U.S. 40 Alternate (Braddock Heights, Exit 49).

The grades there are (by Maryland standards) pretty long and steep, and the eastbound side descents (especially between the crest of the Blue Ridge [South Mountain], the rest area and down to Md. 17 (Myersville, Exit 42)) should probably not have a limit higher than 65.

Funny thing though that section was 70 mph back before 1973/4 :-)

Rothman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 22, 2015, 10:08:45 PM

No.  Keep in mind that the head of SHA is a new hire, who has not started yet (his first day is September 16).

But he comes to SHA from the Michigan Department of Transportation, a state that has long had (higher) posted speed limits on its freeway system than Maryland does, even in urban areas.

I'd imagine that like in NY, that the new head of SHA would be following the governor's lead.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on August 22, 2015, 11:42:32 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 22, 2015, 10:08:45 PM

I'd imagine that like in NY, that the new head of SHA would be following the governor's lead.
I imagine that is how DOT heads get selected for the job.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 22, 2015, 07:59:31 AM

I see no reason to not sign I-95 from DE to 695 as 70mph. The bridge itself can have a lower limit due to crosswinds. There are worse sections of roads in other states that are signed as 70.

"Between the beltways" I assumed meant inside of I-695, or south of Baltimore, between I-695 & I-495. But either way, it wasn't referring to the area north of Baltimore, which I would expect to be mostly 70.  If they went a little conservative, they would post 70 mph north of MD 24 to the DE State Line.

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 22, 2015, 06:25:02 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on August 22, 2015, 06:19:01 PM

I didn't really care and decided that just 20 miles of I-95 could be 70 MPH (between I-495 and I-195) - however, the portion between I-195 and I-395 I hesitated about - I think I-95 could be 70 through Baltimore.

I think it can be easily assumed that any highway signed at 55 mph today isn't suddenly going to be 70 mph.

Zeffy

When I took my trip down to DC a month ago, mostly everyone was doing 70+ already on I-95 north of Baltimore. Even as you approached the Fort McHenry Tunnel, people were still doing well above the speed limit. North of MD 275 can easily be 70 MPH, and so can everything south of the Susquehanna River bridge to MD 152. As you approach the (Baltimore) beltway, where congestion is much more frequent, 55 (while ignored regardless) is fine there.

On the Capital Beltway, I don't think that'll ever get higher than 65. The Capital Beltway is nuts as it is.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on August 23, 2015, 06:20:39 PM
When I took my trip down to DC a month ago, mostly everyone was doing 70+ already on I-95 north of Baltimore.

Honestly, I think free-flowing traffic on nearly every interstate tends to average greater than 70 mph, regardless of the speed limit.

1995hoo

Heh. On my way up I-270 last Sunday en route to Gettysburg, I set my cruise control at 65 and I was pretty much the slowest car on the road. Didn't matter to me one bit. Had to cancel the cruise control when we hit the 65-mph zone and the road narrowed, but we didn't get above 65 after that due to traffic volumes.

roadman65

If MD is raising the speed limit on the most rural freeways to 70, are they ever going to consider raising US 301 from US 50 to the Delaware border to at least 60?  Or how about the section of US 15 from Frederick to the PA Line as well?

Both roads are expressway grade and its because of the at grade intersections (none are fully signalized on both) its kept at 55 under MD Law, but could easily handle an increase and really should have one.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

As you said, it's because of MD law.  The state legislature would have to change the law to allow non-freeways to be posted higher than 55.  The other option would be for SHA to spend the tens of millions (but more likely into 9-digit territory) of dollars to upgrade both routes to freeway, after which they could be posted up to 65.  And it could be strongly argued that there is more pressing need/higher priority elsewhere than 301.

Buffaboy

Congratulations MD, hopefully these kinds of initiaties will start to snowball over the next few years in the NE. NY for example, nobody goes at 65 on I-90/New York Thruway.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

mattpedersen

Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2015, 10:01:33 PM
If MD is raising the speed limit on the most rural freeways to 70, are they ever going to consider raising US 301 from US 50 to the Delaware border to at least 60?  Or how about the section of US 15 from Frederick to the PA Line as well?

Both roads are expressway grade and its because of the at grade intersections (none are fully signalized on both) its kept at 55 under MD Law, but could easily handle an increase and really should have one.

The 2014 Legislative session had a bill that would have permitted a 65 MPH speed limit on these types of roads. As with the 70 MPH bill introduced that session, it was left in a drawer by the head of the State Senate judiciary committee. Now that he is Attorney General, something like this may be tackled in the 2016 legislative session.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mattpedersen on September 09, 2015, 06:02:42 PM
The 2014 Legislative session had a bill that would have permitted a 65 MPH speed limit on these types of roads. As with the 70 MPH bill introduced that session, it was left in a drawer by the head of the State Senate judiciary committee. Now that he is Attorney General, something like this may be tackled in the 2016 legislative session.

I suspect he was heavily lobbied by the Montgomery County Sierra Club to not go along with any increase in highway speed limits.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on September 09, 2015, 07:56:47 AM
.... And it could be strongly argued that there is more pressing need/higher priority elsewhere than 301.

I might go a step beyond that to say "few people would dispute there is more pressing need/higher priority elsewhere than 301"!

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 10, 2015, 07:19:56 AM
.... And it could be strongly argued that there is more pressing need/higher priority elsewhere than 301.

I might go a step beyond that to say "few people would dispute there is more pressing need/higher priority elsewhere than 301"!
I take MD has more other pressing road issues than 301 LOL!  Anyway, most of US 301 are either Shunpikers or those looking to bypass Baltimore who are not Maryland natives, so the demand is strictly for the passers through who have to stay at 55 on a road that could more than easily handle a speed increase.  Hey I bet before Nixon implemented the national 55 law, it was at least 60 from Queenstown to the Delaware Line.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kj3400

Quote from: roadman65 on September 10, 2015, 03:35:42 PM

I take MD has more other pressing road issues than 301 LOL! 
cough*western Capital Beltway*cough
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: kj3400 on September 10, 2015, 09:17:50 PM

Don't hold your breath on an outer Beltway. A second Rosslyn rail tube complex is probably going to be the first new crossing, whenever that comes. There aren't any philosophical objections to that. A new bridge upriver would be a political battle and not generate enough traffic to justify it, along with environmental considerations.

kj3400

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 10, 2015, 09:21:40 PM

Don't hold your breath on an outer Beltway. A second Rosslyn rail tube complex is probably going to be the first new crossing, whenever that comes. There aren't any philosophical objections to that. A new bridge upriver would be a political battle and not generate enough traffic to justify it, along with environmental considerations.
I was just hoping for the widening actually.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

noelbotevera

Quote from: kj3400 on September 10, 2015, 09:41:26 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on September 10, 2015, 09:21:40 PM

I was just hoping for the widening actually.
Everywhere in MD has to be widened. I-81 has to be widened through Hagerstown to the PA state line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.