News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Does anybody still eat at Cafaterias?

Started by Brian556, June 17, 2014, 12:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Brothers Deli Restaurant in Wakefield (MA) serves their food cafeteria-style.  It also is one of the best home-food restaurants in Eastern Massachusetts (especially for breakfast), with good portions at reasonable prices.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

I remember restaurants in Kmart. I also remember them in the old Grant's department stores. The Grant's in Richmond, Ky. used to occasionally have an all-you-can-eat fish night or fried clams night. We would occasionally go there to partake when I was very young.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: iowahighways on June 17, 2014, 11:07:47 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on June 17, 2014, 12:18:42 AM
Back in the 80's-early 90's, my parents both loved to eat at cafeterias; it was the only type of resteraunt that my mother would take us to. Now, they are all gone (in my area, anyway).
In Texas, we would eat at Luby's and Furr's
in Florida, my father would take us to Morrison's

There was also Bishop's in the Midwest, where my mother worked for a few years when I was growing up. They had over 30 cafeterias in the mid-1980s but their last two -- in Dubuque, IA, and Moline, IL -- closed in 2012. (However, some supermarkets in Iowa now sell their pies, including their signature chocolate ambrosia pies.)
We had Bishop's here too. My grandparents loved to eat there. I ate there when I was little-last time I remember eating there was probably the mid 80s. Ours closed sometime around the early 90s I think. I didn't know they had survived until just 2 years ago in other places.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on June 17, 2014, 08:48:14 PM
Cafeterias give you pre-measured items, you select them as you go through the line, and you pay for each one individually. Everything is a la carte. Say you get a bowl of cole slaw, a meat, two vegetables and a dessert. You'll pay a certain amount. The person with you gets a bowl of cole slaw, a meat, three vegetables and a dessert. He will pay more because he got an extra side. If he only got one vegetable, he would pay less than you did.

Buffets are typically pay one price and eat as much of whatever you want. The person who will only get a salad, one entree and a couple of vegetables is charged the same as a person who gets three meats, six veggies and three different desserts. And you typically serve yourself and make as many trips to the food bar(s) as you want.

thanks for the info!

based on those definitions - the last time I ate at a cafeteria was at a hospital in Tijuana.  (LASIK followup visit.)  a cafeteria independent of a hospital or school?  nope; can't remember having done so.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

OracleUsr

Statesville has a K&W that is often pretty busy.  My fiancee and I like to eat there from time to time.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

roadman65

Quote from: Brian556 on June 17, 2014, 01:48:39 PM
quote from roadman65:
QuoteSelf serve is much appreciated over waiting for a server to finally get to you.

Agreed .especially when it comes to drinks. Wait staff does not give you enough attention, and lets your drink run dry. Then you have to stop eating for at least 5 minutes before they bring you a refill. It's really annoying.

Also, wasn't there a Morrison's on SR 50 near Downtown Orlando?

We have Golden Corral Here in Texas, too. I consider it a buffet, not a cafeteria. I really don't care for their food. Also, there seems to be a lot of very overweight people in there.
I think Morrison's did have one on FL 50.

Golden Corral is known as Olden Corral by one member here as many seniors go there in the South- West Florida area.  As far as overweight people go, yes I think you are right.  You pay one price so many out there overstuff themselves just  for the sake of eating the most for their dollar.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

We always called Golden Corral the "Golden Hog Trough".

formulanone

I've found Golden Corral to have rather bland food. It's okay when my kids have no idea what they'd like to eat.

Pete from Boston

Golden Corral just makes me think that a lack of consequences is what's going to finally kill us off.   At least a price proportional to amount of food limits intake. A ridiculously cheap all-you-can-eat insulates people from either the true cost of that food or the fact that eating everything you feel like eating is not a good way to live long.  There should be a health insurance waiver required before eating in those places. 

Brandon

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 19, 2014, 11:35:07 AM
Golden Corral just makes me think that a lack of consequences is what's going to finally kill us off.   At least a price proportional to amount of food limits intake. A ridiculously cheap all-you-can-eat insulates people from either the true cost of that food or the fact that eating everything you feel like eating is not a good way to live long.  There should be a health insurance waiver required before eating in those places. 

Tell that to the sports team that just finished a game.  Sometimes personal responsibility, not waivers, not laws, and certainly not dictates from a bunch of know-nothings at the top of the government, is the way to go.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brandon on June 19, 2014, 11:48:33 AM

Tell that to the sports team that just finished a game.  Sometimes personal responsibility, not waivers, not laws, and certainly not dictates from a bunch of know-nothings at the top of the government, is the way to go.

I'm right there with you, as long as that includes the government stepping out of the way of insurance companies soaking policyholders who destroy their own health willfully.  The market can do wonderful things with (a lack of) personal responsibility. 

jeffandnicole

At least a price proportional to amount of food limits intake.

I'm not sure what you mean there.  Does that mean someone eating a $4 Big Mac will eat more or less than someone eating a $15 burger?  Or someone eating $10 of pasta will eat heathier than someone eating $30 of steak? Or does that mean a more expensive buffet will produce better eating habits than a cheaper buffet?

Either way: I don't see how price has anything to do with how one may destroy their health.

Scott5114

Golden Corral just makes me think that a lack of consequences is what's going to finally kill us off.

Oh, no, there are consequences to eating at Golden Corral. Chief among them: you have to taste the food on offer at Golden Corral.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Crazy Volvo Guy

There is a truck stop in Hagerstown, MD that has a cafeteria-style eating establishment.  The AC&T at exit 5A off I-81, across from the Pilot.  Ate there once, they had good food.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Also: Hy-Vee grocery stores, the larger ones, generally have a good cafeteria.  The small ones in small towns lack this.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

pctech

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on June 17, 2014, 08:04:04 PM
My grandparents were pretty much weekly patrons of Piccadilly's. Fond memories from when I was young, but they have slipped a few notches since then. It appears they no longer use cloth napkins. The food is cheaper and blander than I remember (ate there last week for the first time in a couple years). Maybe it's just an issue limited to that specific restaurant (one of the oldest in the chain, though it has been remodeled since I was last through there).
Piccadilly is not nearly good as when when I was young. We used to go on Sundays about once a month or so.  It would be packed with people coming in after church. The years of mergers,buyouts and bankruptcy issues have taken their toll.

hbelkins

I've found that the quality of food at Golden Corrals can vary greatly from location to location. The one closest to me is at Winchester, Ky. I ate there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years and it was very good. This is in contrast to one I visited in Evansville a few years ago that was awful, and one in Chillicothe, Mo., (or whatever town along US 36 it was that both Brian Reynolds and I ended up spending the night in after the Lawrence, Kan. meeting) that was decidedly average.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: briantroutman on June 18, 2014, 12:43:57 AM
I'd say IKEA is the last bastion of true cafeterias inside retail stores.

Reasonably genuine Swedish food, too.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

formulanone

Not half-bad, either. Naturally, they call it a "restaurant".

roadman

Quote from: formulanone on June 20, 2014, 12:50:44 PM
Not half-bad, either. Naturally, they call it a "restaurant".
Shortly after they first opened, the IKEA in Randolph, Massachusetts (just south of Boston) actually petitioned MassHighway for Food LOGO signs on Route 24 on the basis they were a ful service restaurant.  Fortunately for the traveling public, their request was denied.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Laura

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 19, 2014, 12:15:14 PM
At least a price proportional to amount of food limits intake.

I'm not sure what you mean there.  Does that mean someone eating a $4 Big Mac will eat more or less than someone eating a $15 burger?  Or someone eating $10 of pasta will eat heathier than someone eating $30 of steak? Or does that mean a more expensive buffet will produce better eating habits than a cheaper buffet?

Either way: I don't see how price has anything to do with how one may destroy their health.

I think Pete means that there should be a scale there so that you pay by the pound?

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on June 19, 2014, 03:22:40 PM
There is a truck stop in Hagerstown, MD that has a cafeteria-style eating establishment.  The AC&T at exit 5A off I-81, across from the Pilot.  Ate there once, they had good food.

I will keep this in mind next time I am out that way.

The only cafeteria styled restaurant that I've been to (other than ones in schools and hospitals) is the K&W in Roanoke, Virginia.

roadman

Several years ago, there was a "mom and pop" deli-style restaurant (the exact name escapes me right now) in the food court on the ground floor of the State Transportation Buliding in Boston.  The food was self-serve, make your own portions format.  The rub was that you paid by the ounce, even for sandwiches.  I ate there once with a friend, who loaded up his plate with salad and was flabergasted at the final bill - $23.85.

formulanone

La Guardia has a salad bar with a "pay by weight" concept. (Don't know how it fares...had the pay-by-the-slice pizza instead.)

1995hoo

There's a chain of restaurants in the DC area called Soho Cafe Market (or something like that....we always just said Soho) where the sandwiches have fixed prices but the "hot food bar," "cold food bar," and "Mongolian Wok" areas are priced by how much you buy (you place the container on a scale at the register). As roadman suggests, newcomers are often quite surprised by the price. The sandwiches can be a decent deal, especially the cheeseburger whose price includes fries, but it's very easy to run up a big bill on the self-serve stuff. I stopped going to Soho after having too many problems getting my sandwiches made the way I wanted due to the employees not speaking English very well or being argumentative (e.g., I asked for a burger without lettuce, tomato, or mayo and the woman behind the counter started arguing with me because she couldn't understand why I didn't want a salad on my burger).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on June 23, 2014, 09:48:26 AM
La Guardia has a salad bar with a "pay by weight" concept. (Don't know how it fares...had the pay-by-the-slice pizza instead.)

That's how Golden Corral handles carry-outs. You can eat as much as you want as long as you stay in the restaurant, but if you take it with you, you pay by the ounce.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.