News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why don't people use ALL the doors?

Started by empirestate, April 09, 2015, 12:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When you come a building entrance/exit with two or more doors across, do you…

Follow the crowd and use the one door that everyone else is using?
1 (4%)
Go to any of the other doors that nobody is using?
14 (56%)
Intend to use one of the other doors, but decide against it because you expect it's locked?
6 (24%)
Other?
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Duke87

I... can't say this is something I've ever really thought about.

But I feel like I just do whatever is easiest in a given circumstance. If someone has opened a door in front of me, I will follow them through it and hold it for anyone behind me. But if there is for whatever reason a minicrowd of people trying to cram through one door, I will open another and go around them.

The exception is if there is a revolving door. When there is a revolving door I must use it, even if opening the non-revolving door is faster. Why? A lot of places that have a revolving door (including my office!) explicitly prefer you use it unless you are carrying some item that cannot fit through it or are handicapped and require the door to be opened for you - reason being, revolving doors let less air out than regular doors, and therefore save the building on cooling and heating costs.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brian556

Quote from Duke 87:
QuoteThe exception is if there is a revolving door. When there is a revolving door I must use it, even if opening the non-revolving door is faster. Why? A lot of places that have a revolving door (including my office!) explicitly prefer you use it unless you are carrying some item that cannot fit through it or are handicapped and require the door to be opened for you - reason being, revolving doors let less air out than regular doors, and therefore save the building on cooling and heating costs.

That got me thinkin'...if you farted in a revolving door, how many times could the fart go around?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Brian556 on April 10, 2015, 11:58:34 PM
quote from Pete From Boston:
QuoteI would definitely use whatever door the monkey used.

If the monkey threw his feces, would you throw yours too?

That's a different thread.

jakeroot

Quote from: Brian556 on April 11, 2015, 12:17:40 AM
That got me thinkin'...if you farted in a revolving door, how many times could the fart go around?

Depends on your diet, I suppose.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: NE2 on April 09, 2015, 07:04:18 AM
I always pee in the center urinal of three.

Oops, wrong thread.

You're definitely a dick.  Pun intended.

Also, I always use a door that no one else is using, especially if it says exit and I'm entering or vice versa, because thug life, motherfuckers.

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

roadman65

I would like to know why Wal Mart has two sets of doors that one is supposed to be an entrance and the other an exit, despite the layout of the doors? Both are side by side and both sliding and not the old supermarket ones where it opens inward or outward, so it makes no sense to add words above the doors that no one pays attention too anyway.

In this case everyone uses both doors and not one over the other. Plus the Exit door will open from the outside sensor and the In door will open automatically from out going shoppers.

I basically have really never seen anywhere where one doors used more than the other.  I have seen, though, where one person would use one door over another if there was a charity group at the other one soliciting.  Of course that one is obvious why they avoided that one and in some cases excusable.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

Quote from: roadman on April 09, 2015, 12:54:24 PM
My pet peeve is people who, when entering a building, walk up to a set of double doors and wait for somebody exiting the building to open the left door rather than opening the right one themselves.
Doesn't make much difference at Wal-Mart:people go in the OUT doors and out the IN doors.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on April 11, 2015, 06:39:28 PM
I would like to know why Wal Mart has two sets of doors that one is supposed to be an entrance and the other an exit, despite the layout of the doors? Both are side by side and both sliding and not the old supermarket ones where it opens inward or outward, so it makes no sense to add words above the doors that no one pays attention too anyway.

In this case everyone uses both doors and not one over the other. Plus the Exit door will open from the outside sensor and the In door will open automatically from out going shoppers.

I basically have really never seen anywhere where one doors used more than the other.  I have seen, though, where one person would use one door over another if there was a charity group at the other one soliciting.  Of course that one is obvious why they avoided that one and in some cases excusable.

The layout of the doors makes sense: The ones closest to the registers are the out; the ones further away, and most likely where the carts are located, are the in.  Unfortunately, the Walmartians that use the doors want to defy authority any which way they can, so they go thru the wrong doors and eventually walk further than they needed to.

1995hoo

I don't understand the people who, when you open a double door intending to enter a building, think you're opening it for their convenience as they leave and proceed to try to walk through as you're entering. I'm usually willing to hold the door for someone, but I resent the idea that people who don't want to open a door themselves think I should stand there holding a door open for them to exit on the wrong side.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

They probably have had people do just that and now it's difficult to tell.  I've encountered people who will stand outside for 10 seconds holding the door open for me and allowing me to go first (OK, so I've only really seen this with men who were born back when chivalry was still a thing).  I've also encountered people who won't hold the door open even when they're right in front of me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

corco

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 12, 2015, 11:25:20 AM
I don't understand the people who, when you open a double door intending to enter a building, think you're opening it for their convenience as they leave and proceed to try to walk through as you're entering. I'm usually willing to hold the door for someone, but I resent the idea that people who don't want to open a door themselves think I should stand there holding a door open for them to exit on the wrong side.

What I've decided is that there are few things that happen on a regular basis that are more consistently awkward than strangers encountering each other in the vicinity of a door. I now accept that anything that I do that relates to a door will be perceived as strange/overly polite/rude/something else by the other person (I tend to do as you do, for the record, at double doors), and roll with it.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: corco on April 12, 2015, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 12, 2015, 11:25:20 AM

What I've decided is that there are few things that happen on a regular basis that are more consistently awkward than strangers encountering each other in the vicinity of a door. I now accept that anything that I do that relates to a door will be perceived as strange/overly polite/rude/something else by the other person (I tend to do as you do, for the record, at double doors), and roll with it.

When there's a conflict, I step back and/or hold the door.  No need making a big deal about the obvious difficulty of passing several people, often with items in hand, through a small space.  These are good practice for real awkward moments.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2015, 10:52:05 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 09, 2015, 07:04:18 AM
I always pee in the center urinal of three.

Oops, wrong thread.

I secretly enjoy peeing in the urinal next to another bathroom-goer, avoiding open urinals farther away. . . just to freak him out. BWAHAHAHA!!

As for the topic at hand, I have neither noticed the phenomenon, nor do I have any opinion at all on the matter.
Annoying, but not as much as the people that want to stand there and make small talk with complete strangers while taking a whiz...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

I should start doing that. "So, have you ever tried pulling up your shorts leg and peeing out the bottom?"
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Or you could do as the Capitals' PA announcer notes:

"That awkward moment when you walk into a crowded men's room reading e-mail on your smartphone, but all anyone else notices is some pervert with a camera...."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on April 12, 2015, 10:18:31 PM
I should start doing that. "So, have you ever tried pulling up your shorts leg and peeing out the bottom?"

I tried REALLY hard, but I literally could not get all the words out through my laughter when I read this to my wife just now. And I ended up spitting all over my phone in the process. Definitely LOL! It cracked her up too.

For the record, I've been known to lift up my shorts leg and pee out the bottom.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JMoses24

I use whatever door is equipped either with an automatic opener or a button I can push because I need that with my wheelchair, if one is available. Otherwise I try to avoid the crowds because I don't want to hold them up struggling with the doors.

Another thing is that I don't encounter too many automatic revolving doors that slow down enough to use in my chair. The one that I know of, is being replaced with a traditional sliding door.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2015, 10:52:05 PM
I secretly enjoy peeing in the urinal next to another bathroom-goer, avoiding open urinals farther away. . . just to freak him out. BWAHAHAHA!!

As for the topic at hand, I have neither noticed the phenomenon, nor do I have any opinion at all on the matter.[/quote]

People who do this don't freak me out.  I just write them off as morons who can't even comprehend basic courtesies.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.