News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Funny words

Started by bandit957, April 29, 2015, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 12, 2015, 07:51:32 PM
Negatives with no positive:

Dismantle
Demolish
Disgruntle

I guess if something is built instead of demolished, it's "molished". For instance, "They just molished a new building up the street."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

empirestate

Quote from: bandit957 on May 13, 2015, 09:20:57 AM

Dismantle
Demolish
Disgruntle

I guess if something is built instead of demolished, it's "molished". For instance, "They just molished a new building up the street."

I'm very gruntled that you pointed this out!

iPhone

national highway 1

Pneumono­ultra­microscopic­silico­volcano­coniosis- an artificial long word said to mean a lung disease caused by inhaling very fine ash and sand dust.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

route17fan

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 13, 2015, 11:43:37 PM
Pneumono­ultra­microscopic­silico­volcano­coniosis- an artificial long word said to mean a lung disease caused by inhaling very fine ash and sand dust.

I learned that one when I was in fifth grade! That's a classic!  :biggrin:
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

CNGL-Leudimin

I really like the German words for a freeway interchange: autobahnkreuz and autobahndreieck (The later is used when there are only three legs). I also find amusing the Dutch equivalent knooppunt (Literally knot-point).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jakeroot

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 15, 2015, 09:46:02 AM
I really like the German words for a freeway interchange: autobahnkreuz and autobahndreieck (The later is used when there are only three legs). I also find amusing the Dutch equivalent knooppunt (Literally knot-point).

There's always the German equivalent of "exit": ausfahrt.

Big John

Dismantle
Demolish
Disgruntle
or a near miss in discombobulated

Zeffy

Quote from: jakeroot on May 15, 2015, 01:59:06 PM

To this day, I will never forget the countless snickering of everyone in the class when they had to use fahrt. Not that fährt was any better, but I personally could not say it without laughing. And when I started laughing - everyone did, including the teacher.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: jakeroot on May 15, 2015, 01:59:06 PMThere's always the German equivalent of "exit": ausfahrt.

Thanks for remind me about the largest city in Germany :sombrero:. It's exactly the opposite of Bielefeld.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bandit957

Other funny words include 'luncheon' and 'forfeit'.

roadman65

Is that the one word that Alice asked Ralph to spell on the classic Honeymooners when Ralph thought he would win 99K for being an expert at songs?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on May 15, 2015, 08:34:48 PM

Is that the one word that Alice asked Ralph to spell on the classic Honeymooners when Ralph thought he would win 99K for being an expert at songs?

Did you bring this up because of the opening line of "Old Folks at Home" in the other thread?  I can't think of that line without finishing Norton's piano warm-up in my mind.

bandit957

And there are few words funnier than 'postpone'.

J Route Z

I have to say bubble or bubbly are always funny to say.

bandit957

Quote from: J Route Z on May 16, 2015, 10:50:43 AM

The phrase 'bubble gum' is funny because it has a funny ring to it. It even looks funny in print, at least in lowercase. The way the 'e' and the 'g' are facing each other is funny, and the 'g' even appears to be laughing.

bugo

Words with two L's in the middle like mullet, ballad, and dollar are always funny.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bugo on May 16, 2015, 09:32:43 PM
Words with two L's in the middle like mullet, ballad, and dollar are always funny.

Even better, put it at the beginning (llama).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Molandfreak

Quote from: Zeffy on May 15, 2015, 02:17:18 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 15, 2015, 01:59:06 PM
To this day, I will never forget the countless snickering of everyone in the class when they had to use fahrt. Not that fährt was any better, but I personally could not say it without laughing. And when I started laughing - everyone did, including the teacher.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

empirestate

Chumble spuzz.

iPhone

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on May 16, 2015, 01:01:57 PM

The phrase 'bubble gum' is funny because it has a funny ring to it. It even looks funny in print, at least in lowercase. The way the 'e' and the 'g' are facing each other is funny, and the 'g' even appears to be laughing.

This also brings to mind the funniest possible sentence in the entire English language.

Are you ready for it? Here it comes...

"The bubble gum got ruined."

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on May 18, 2015, 02:58:16 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on May 16, 2015, 01:01:57 PM

This also brings to mind the funniest possible sentence in the entire English language.

Are you ready for it? Here it comes...

"The bubble gum got ruined."

"The bubble gum got ruined because some vivvlyvoover pooed on it."

national highway 1

Triskaidekaphobia - fear of the number 13.
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia - fear of the number 666.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

national highway 1

Skeuomorph - a physical ornament or design on an object made to resemble another material or technique. e.g. the design used by Apple's iOS before iOS 7.

empirestate

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.