News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What Type of Music do Y'all Listen to?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 11, 2010, 02:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Kind?

Classic Rock.
27 (58.7%)
Metal.
6 (13%)
Country.
5 (10.9%)
Rap/Hip-hop.
3 (6.5%)
Other.
12 (26.1%)
1, 2, and 3.
3 (6.5%)
R&B.
3 (6.5%)
Jazz.
4 (8.7%)
All of the Above.
5 (10.9%)
None of the Above.
1 (2.2%)
Alt. Rock. happy? ;)
6 (13%)
Religious. (forgot about that) :pan:
2 (4.3%)
Oldies.
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

BigMattFromTexas

I listen to 1, 2, and 3. I can't stand rap and whatnot. I listen to metal with the computer volume at 20, I can't listen to metal/rock at a low volume. It just doesn't work for me.

But what music do y'all like? I know there's an old music thread somewhere, but it wasn't a poll, so... Here. ;)
~Edit~ Haha it's poll not pool.
BigMatt

agentsteel53

mainly classic rock, metal, industrial, 50s and 60s rock, punk, new wave ... smidgens of old-school rap on occasion.  Various things like Frank Sinatra and Lady Gaga sometimes pop in.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

No option for non-rap R&B and jazz, except "other"?  :hmmm:  :-P
Chris Sampang

BigMattFromTexas

There, I made those two an option. heh heh.
BigMatt

Duke87

I'll listen to pretty much anything so long as the mood strikes me, although I generally don't do classical or jazz.

Probably the most unusual thing I'm into is video game music.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Truvelo

I selected rap/hip hop. I listen mainly to late 80s/early 90s tunes and if I'm in North America and my rental car has Sirius XM it's tuned into Backspin virtually all the time.
Speed limits limit life

agentsteel53

Quote from: Truvelo on August 11, 2010, 02:46:58 PM
I selected rap/hip hop. I listen mainly to late 80s/early 90s tunes and if I'm in North America and my rental car has Sirius XM it's tuned into Backspin virtually all the time.

I tend to machine-gun-swap between Boneyard, First Wave, Liquid Metal, and Hair Nation.  Despite the lack of traditional advertising, in-between-song jingles somehow manage to be extra infuriating, thus the extremely quick change of stations. 

the best part of satellite radio is at night, when they eliminate the DJs and the yakking and the other noise, and just play the damn songs already. 

jake@aaroads.com

rawmustard

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 02:50:26 PM
the best part of satellite radio is at night, when they eliminate the DJs and the yakking and the other noise, and just play the damn songs already. 

Heck, even some terrestrial radio stations have gone sans DJ overnight. Some don't even bother to use them for the entire broadcast day.

agentsteel53

Quote from: rawmustard on August 11, 2010, 03:26:10 PM

Heck, even some terrestrial radio stations have gone sans DJ overnight. Some don't even bother to use them for the entire broadcast day.

this sounds like an excellent development.  Given that song and artist information can be transmitted out-of-band and displayed on a radio's LCD readout, the DJ has become entirely superfluous.

if you want to listen to talk, there is talk radio available everywhere.  I for one tune into classic rock to hear classic rock, not some yutz asking if I'd heard the latest about Lindsay Lohan.

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

What about modern rock? I usually keep my radio on Sirius 21 - Alt Nation (modern rock) and Sirius 24 - Lithium (90's rock).

agentsteel53

Quote from: realjd on August 11, 2010, 03:29:30 PM
What about modern rock? I usually keep my radio on Sirius 21 - Alt Nation (modern rock) and Sirius 24 - Lithium (90's rock).

about the most modern stuff I tend to like is Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains - it is with some dismay that I note that it is officially considered classic rock now.

jake@aaroads.com

Truvelo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 03:32:28 PM
it is with some dismay that I note that it is officially considered classic rock now.

Stuff from the early 90's is getting on for 20 years now although it seems like only yesterday when it came out. Doesn't time fly :-o
Speed limits limit life

Brandon

Only select 2!?!  OK, I went with the top 2.  Here goes for me: classic rock/pop, classic R&B (Motown, Stax), crossover country (stuff that can be rock/pop or country), some classical (Vivaldi comes to mind), zydeco, some modern rock/pop, a bit of other stuff here and there that sounds good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

KEK Inc.

Where's alternative rock (indie/electronic/grunge/punk/prog)? 

I generally listen to alt rock, classic rock, and jazz hip hop.
Take the road less traveled.

triplemultiplex

Classic Rock     yes
Metal               absolutely
Country           very little
Rap/Hip-hop    sure
R&B                not really
Jazz                meh

Most of what I like would fall into that enormous "alternative" category; the alt rock station here in Milwaukee covers it pretty well.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

BigMattFromTexas

OK, I'm not gonna make 1,000,000 different genres just so that everyone's happy. It's not that hard to select "other" is it? Dang.
BigMatt

Bryant5493

I'm into country, rap, R&B, rock, jazz, techno -- anything that gets my feet moving. :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

agentsteel53

Quote from: BigMatt on August 11, 2010, 04:53:14 PM
OK, I'm not gonna make 1,000,000 different genres just so that everyone's happy. It's not that hard to select "other" is it? Dang.
BigMatt

you forgot communist electro-polka.  all music in all reality is communist electro-polka.  except Black Dog, which is clearly not polka.

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: BigMatt on August 11, 2010, 04:53:14 PM
BigMatt

you forgot communist electro-polka.  all music in all reality is communist electro-polka.  except Black Dog, which is clearly not polka.

Would that be like a electro-polka version of the Russian nat'l anthem? :D
BigMatt

Ian

I pretty much like general rock, classic and modern. Though, here are my favorite bands...

-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Pink Floyd
-Queen
-Jimi Hendrix
-Van Halen
-Alice in Chains
-Rolling Stones
-Foo Fighters
-Kings of Leon
-The Doors
-Metallica
-Beastie Boys
-Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers
-Pearl Jam
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

what, no mention of Red Hot Chili Peppers?

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 05:53:00 PM
what, no mention of Red Hot Chili Peppers?

D'oh! Post edited. I totally forgot about them :banghead:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cu2010

I like music with vocalists actually singing, and being played by real instruments (not synthesizers).

Which means no rap, no hip-hop, no electronica...you get the idea.

I'm a rock guy myself- both classic and modern.  There's nothing like driving to really loud rock music. :D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cu2010 on August 11, 2010, 06:05:38 PM
There's nothing like driving to really loud rock music. :D

indeed.  though last week Ministry commanded me to do 124mph.  :sombrero:

jake@aaroads.com

hm insulators

Quote from: cu2010 on August 11, 2010, 06:05:38 PM
I like music with vocalists actually singing, and being played by real instruments (not synthesizers).

Which means no rap, no hip-hop, no electronica...you get the idea. :D

Music is like candy: You have to throw away the rappers. :-D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.