News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What Type of Music do Y'all Listen to?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 11, 2010, 02:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Kind?

Classic Rock.
27 (58.7%)
Metal.
6 (13%)
Country.
5 (10.9%)
Rap/Hip-hop.
3 (6.5%)
Other.
12 (26.1%)
1, 2, and 3.
3 (6.5%)
R&B.
3 (6.5%)
Jazz.
4 (8.7%)
All of the Above.
5 (10.9%)
None of the Above.
1 (2.2%)
Alt. Rock. happy? ;)
6 (13%)
Religious. (forgot about that) :pan:
2 (4.3%)
Oldies.
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

joseph1723

I mostly listen to classic rock and alternative the most but I also listen to some country rock, a little classical, and maybe some jazz.

Quote from: hm insulators on August 11, 2010, 07:05:29 PM
Music is like candy: You have to throw away the rappers. :-D
Haha, funniest thing I read online today  :D

KEK Inc.

Quote from: BigMatt on August 11, 2010, 04:53:14 PM
OK, I'm not gonna make 1,000,000 different genres just so that everyone's happy. It's not that hard to select "other" is it? Dang.
BigMatt
Alternative rock is a pretty broad genre that's huge.  :P 

http://www.last.fm/user/KEK_INC

You guys can check out my specifics here.  :P
Take the road less traveled.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 11, 2010, 05:51:44 PM
I pretty much like general rock, classic and modern. Though, here are my favorite bands...

-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Pink Floyd
-Queen
-Jimi Hendrix
-Van Halen
-Alice in Chains
-Rolling Stones
-Foo Fighters
-Kings of Leon
-The Doors
-Metallica
-Beastie Boys
-Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers
-Pearl Jam

'MMR, 'YSP or 104.5 (which I just discovered)?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

kurumi

I like progressive rock, jazz, alternative, funk, 70s stuff. I listen to a heck of a lot of autotune hipGaga (wife) and Disney pop (kids) :-|
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Ian

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 11, 2010, 08:26:24 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 11, 2010, 05:51:44 PM
I pretty much like general rock, classic and modern. Though, here are my favorite bands...

-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-Pink Floyd
-Queen
-Jimi Hendrix
-Van Halen
-Alice in Chains
-Rolling Stones
-Foo Fighters
-Kings of Leon
-The Doors
-Metallica
-Beastie Boys
-Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers
-Pearl Jam

'MMR, 'YSP or 104.5 (which I just discovered)?

All of them ;)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Stephane Dumas

For others, it's music performed in French, power ballads, disco. But it's hard to classify Sam Roberts, with his songs like Detroit '67 and Bridge to Nowhere who can span 2 categories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNenEe0VcE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtG8kdfM1xw

allniter89

YAY, classic rock leads the poll 2 to 1  :clap: :spin:
That's about all I listen to, obviously  :). It's not that I havent listen to the other genres, I just havent found anything I like except Classic R&R and some Bluegrass and the Blues. Alot of memories in Classic R&R I guess.
Actually my preference is the more obscure classic R&R, like you hear on Deep Tracks on Sirius/XM sat rad or a good classic R&R fm station, ohhh yay!!!  :-D
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Bryant5493

Here's one of my favorite country artists -- the "Man in Black."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq344ks1i

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

BigMattFromTexas

TRUE MEN DON'T KILL COYOTES!
Dang I've listened to Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria 5 times in a row with the volume at 20. That song has one of the best guitar riffs I've heard.
BigMatt

golden eagle

I like all of the above, though I'm not really into country.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: BigMatt on August 12, 2010, 12:06:49 AM
Dang I've listened to Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria 5 times in a row with the volume at 20. That song has one of the best guitar riffs I've heard.

That song is the most epic thing ever... and since I just read that I must now play it.

---

I listen to pop, electronica, alt rock, techno, trance, hip hop, dance, modern rock, whatever. I even have some instrumental tracks in there, as well as movie soundtracks.

I hate classifying music into specific genres, however, because my tastes are so varied. My iPod can easily go from Journey to Lady Gaga to Bullet for my Valentine to David Guetta.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

Quote from: Duke87 on August 11, 2010, 02:42:57 PM
Probably the most unusual thing I'm into is video game music.

I get a kick out of some slot machine music. Aristocrat machines generally have the best (and the most video-gamey you can get outside of Konami slot machines), though I'm rather partial to the IGT Huge Fucking Win Theme. It gets kind of annoying when the machine starts playing a song you kind of like and the customer cuts it off and keeps playing. Dude, you just won $500, bask in it!

(first person to get me a copy of the Aristocrat hand pay song in the clear gets a regional modship :sombrero:)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawmustard

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2010, 12:21:12 PM

I get a kick out of some slot machine music. Aristocrat machines generally have the best (and the most video-gamey you can get outside of Konami slot machines), though I'm rather partial to the IGT Huge Fucking Win Theme. It gets kind of annoying when the machine starts playing a song you kind of like and the customer cuts it off and keeps playing. Dude, you just won $500, bask in it!

(first person to get me a copy of the Aristocrat hand pay song in the clear gets a regional modship :sombrero:)

I think I've only heard the Aristocrat handpay song once. As I generally don't bet enough to induce handpays, it certainly wasn't mine. :no: But I generally like the MIDIness of Aristocrat's music.

BigMattFromTexas

I like Metallica ;). Liked Slipknot and Disturbed but not so much anymore, too much cussing.. I get enough of that in football haha.
BigMatt

Duke87

Disturbed's first album had a lot of profanity, but subsequent albums not so much ("Liberate" notwithstanding).

I didn't know slot machines played music...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Bryant5493

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Ian

Here are a few more bands that I like...

-Deep Purple
-Dave Matthews Band
-Lynyrd Skynyrd
-The Beattles
-Stone Temple Pilots
-Soundgarden
-Staind
-Eric Clapton
-The Who
-Nirvana
-Blue Oyster Colt
-The Clash
-Collective Soul
-Aerosmith
-The Goo Goo Dolls
-Guns N' Roses
-Led Zeppelin
-The Police
-R.E.M.
-Peter Gabriel
-Styx
-Them Crooked Vultures
-Van Halen
-Yes
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

BigMattFromTexas

Here's the list directly from facebook. Not sure if any are listed twice or not. I'm too lazy to check ;). List:
Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Dio, Foreigner, ACϟDC, Stryper, Scorpions, KISS, Eagles, Project 86, Europe, As Frail As Breath, Elton John, Coheed and Cambria, Steve Harris, Aerosmith, Brian Johnson, T. Rex, Nightwish, Demon Hunter, Shotgun Rebels, Quiet Riot, Buckethead, Van Halen, Survivor, The Police, Dragonforce, Twisted Sister, Slade, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Mötley Crüe, Winger, Duran Duran, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, The Beatles, The Doors, Queen, Alice Cooper, Boston, The White Stripes, Slaughter, Pat Benatar, Cinderella, Ratt, 38 Special, Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Great White, Poison, Accept, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Human League, Billy Squier, Bruce Springsteen, George Thorogood, The Cars, Bachman—Turner Overdrive, Meat Loaf, Bad Company, The Kinks, Turtles, Sweet, Steely Dan, David Glen Eisley, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Tommy Tutone, Korn, Jefferson Airplane, Supertramp, Huey Lewis and the News, Danger Danger, Anberlin, Zac Brown Band, Metallica, Drowning Pool, Steam, Motörhead, Joe Walsh, Telsa, The J. Geils Band, April Wine, Charlie Daniels Band, Eddie Money, Kansas, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Billy Thorpe, Decoy, Steppenwolf, Heart, Robert Palmer, Jethro Tull, Triumph, Grand Funk Railroad, Nazareth, Manfred Mann, Michael Sembello, Journey, *Styx*, U2, AC/DC, Aaron Wagner, Klaus Meine, Eddie Van Halen, Family Force 5, I Love Music!, Muse, RUSH   
BigMatt

Scott5114

Quote from: Duke87 on August 12, 2010, 06:58:11 PM
I didn't know slot machines played music...

They're pretty much just computers now. The button panel just hooks up with a bog-standard USB connection. I'm guessing the reels do too (for some reason it's against policy for floor attendants to touch the reels). Hell, VGTs and Multimedias run as an application on top of Windows XP!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Duke87

Sort of the same idea as Matt's list... here's every band I have at least one full album by:

*NSYNC, 3LW, 1905, Andrew W.K., Avril Lavigne, The B-52's, B*Witched, Backstreet Boys, Barry Manilow, The Beach Boys, Beyond Pink, Billy Joel, Bowling for Soup, Brian Wilson, Britney Spears, Choking Victim, Christina Aguilera, Chumbawamba, Dead Kennedys, Deep Purple, Descendents, Dire Straits, Disturbed, The Doors, Eiffel 65, Elton John, Evanescence, The Everly Brothers, Fucked Up, Genesis, Hilary Duff, Hüsker Dü, Iron Maiden, Jan Hammer, Jason Mraz, Jay & The Americans, Joy Division, Killswitch Engage, Led Zeppelin, Leftover Crack, Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Megadeth, Metallica, Michelle Branch, Nirvana, Operation Ivy, P.O.D., P!nk, The Partridge Family, Pet Shop Boys, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, The Police, The Protomen, Puffy Amiyumi, R.E.M., Rage Against the Machine, The Rolling Stones, Rush, Semisonic, Simple Plan, Smash Mouth, Stabbing Westward, Star Fucking Hipsters, Static-X, Sugar Ray, Sum 41, System of a Down, Talking Heads, They Might Be Giants, Third Eye Blind, Train, U2, The Verve, Whack, The Who, Witch Hunt, Yellowcard

Of course, there are some pretty large contributors with no "albums"... Apogee Software, Capcom, Disney Interactive, Inti Creates, Maxis, Nintendo.... you know, the video game music I mentioned before?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

KEK Inc.

Here's my Facebook list:
Everclear, M86, The National, Paul McCartney and the Wings, Billy Joel, Asia, Surfer Blood, The Rakes, Free Energy, Local Natives, The Morning Benders, Bloc Party, Hot Hot Heat, Papa Roach, Eels, The Cure, J. Geils Band, Pedro the Lion, System of a Down, Supertramp, Freelance Whales, Two Door Cinema Club, Carolina Liar, Manchester Orchestra, Band of Horses, MC Lars, Spoon, 30 Seconds to Mars, SR-71, Placebo, Finger Eleven (F11), Depeche Mode, Pet Lover, Cake, Interpol, R.E.M., Bear in Heaven, The Cinematics, American Hi-Fi, Blue Oyster Cult, A Tribe Called Quest, Moving Units, The Bravery, Cartel, Fountains of Wayne, Flobots, Crossfade, Chevelle, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Smashing Pumpkins, Seether, Bowling For Soup, Foreigner, Three Days Grace, Vampire Weekend, Passion Pit, Relient K, Def Leppard, The Offspring, Nirvana, EVE 6, White Rabbits, Coldplay, Black Sabbath, Sonata Arctica, Royskopp, Twisted Sister, The Classic Crime, Wolfmother, Silversun Pickups, A Silent Film, Sick Puppies, Rise Against, The Prodigy, Pendulum, Minus the Bear, Linkin Park, Kansas, Incubus, The Black Keys, Everlast, Broken Bells, Death Cab for Cutie, B.o.B., Us3, Modest Mouse, Stone Temple Pilots, King Crimson, Puddle of Mudd, Alice in Chains, Billy Idol, The Postal Service, Yellowcard, Tommy Tutone, The Killers, Cage The Elephant, Lenny Kravitz, Weezer, Queen, Audioslave, Jack Johnson, The Doors, The Beatles, Foo Fighters, Guster, 3 Doors Down, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Vince Guaraldi, Gorrilaz, Muse, Nightwish, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Koji Kondo, U2, Boston

Here's some last.fm charts (dynamic images):

Overall Top Artists:

Last Week's Top Artists: 

Last Week's Top Tracks:

Recent Tracks:

Take the road less traveled.

TheStranger

I think my tastes are pretty varied:

- rock and R&B from the 1960s on, though primarily 70s music
- late 1950s to mid-1970s jazz, particularly early jazz fusion
- certain types of novelty music (Wesley Willis!!!)

Favorite groups/musicians, a brief list:

Billy Joel
Aimee Mann
Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co./Jason Molina's solo work
The Isley Brothers
The Who
The Beatles (and in terms of post-breakup solo work, probably Paul McCartney's 1970s output)
Miles Davis
Phil Collins/Genesis
The Bee Gees (particularly the "disco" era band with Blue Weaver on keyboards and Dennis Bryon as their drummer)
Jonatha Brooke
Emily Haines (much more her solo stuff than anything from Metric)
Chris Sampang

rawmustard

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 13, 2010, 10:25:26 AM
They're pretty much just computers now. The button panel just hooks up with a bog-standard USB connection. I'm guessing the reels do too (for some reason it's against policy for floor attendants to touch the reels). Hell, VGTs and Multimedias run as an application on top of Windows XP!

I know a few of WMS's platforms run on top of Linux, because I've seen them reboot.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I like how the 14 year old thinks the world only extends to the horizon beyond his bedroom window.  :pan:
At least you included Jazz. Gospel, Blues, and Folk (and Jazz) is the foundation of 99.9% of music we hear today.  You'd think they could be included on your list.

That said, Classic rock, alternative rock, punk rock, fusion, Funk, Philly Sound, Stax, Southern Soul, Chicago Blues, Delta Blues, Swamp Blues, Outlaw Country, Americana (modern folk)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Roadgeek Adam

God if you ask me, I developed my taste from music from actually watching dozens of Time Life music collection infomercials. I am serious. I like everything but Heavy Metal, Rap, and Punk Rock. I know it works, considering I used the Classic Soft Rock one hosted by Air Supply's Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock and turned on a new song for me, "Jessie" by Joshua Kadison (1993). Now I've played it what, 45 times in the last 24 hours. (Dunno how already)

However, I also used those infomercials to expand my music interests. The earliest song I listen to is Hank Williams Sr.'s "Hey Good Looking" from 1951. The newest one is "Hey There Delilah" from the Plain White Ts in 2005.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.