News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Bradley Avenue overpass over I-57 in Champaign, IL to be replaced

Started by Aaron Camp, March 15, 2019, 05:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Camp

Per The News-Gazette, which is the local newspaper in the Champaign-Urbana, IL area, the Bradley Avenue overpass over I-57 in Champaign, Illinois (Google Street View of soon-to-be-demolished overpass here), located just north of the I-57/I-72 interchange, is going to be replaced starting Wednesday, with work scheduled to be completed sometime around Thanksgiving of this year, weather and other factors permitting.

The original overpass, built in the 1960's (if the N-G article is correct), is quite antiquated given that it serves a community college, a Kraft Heinz factory, and numerous residential/commercial developments nowadays (much of the area around the overpass was rural when it was originally built). The new overpass will be a couple feet higher over I-57 and considerably wider, albeit still one lane in each direction for vehicular traffic. Bradley Avenue is classified as a Minor Arterial at the I-57 overpass; there is no access to or from I-57 at Bradley Avenue either with the soon-to-be-demolished current overpass or the soon-to-be-built new overpass.

The plans for the Bradley Avenue overpass over I-57 are available here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.