News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

El Camino East/West Corridor

Started by golden eagle, October 11, 2009, 07:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I saw a sign for this while driving on U.S. 84 just west of Laurel, MS today. I looked this up a moment ago and I see that it's a project to four-lane the entire stretch of 84 from Texas to Georgia. Has this project been completed yet? Also, isn't there talk of an interstate from Texas to Georgia? If that's the case, it could render four-laning 84 useless in the future (though a new interstate could be light years away from happening).

Greybear

Are you referring to a second Texas-to-Georgia interstate?

The last time I looked, there was already one running between Texas and Georgia, called Interstate 20.

UptownRoadGeek

I've seen the El Camino Corridor signs in Mississippi and Alabama, but I don't see Louisiana doing anything to U.S. 84 soon.  Up until recently they've only been focused on I-10 and now that they are starting to get serious on I-49, I still don't expect to live to see i completed.

Alex

I always thought of the El Camino East/West Corridor more as an Auto Trail designation rather than anything else. There are signs sporadically placed along its route.

UptownRoadGeek

Read about some future highway a while back.  It basically sounded like a pipe dream.

froggie

El Camino is one of two multi-state compacts I'm aware of in the region.  One compact pledges to 4-lane US 82 east of Texarkana.  The El Camino Corridor compact, as mentioned, pledges to 4-lane US 84.

The "future highway" mentioned is a proposed "I-14".  Legislation for the route (but not specifically the route number) was included in SAFETEA-LU back in 2005.

golden eagle

Quote from: Greybear on October 11, 2009, 09:36:13 PM
Are you referring to a second Texas-to-Georgia interstate?

Froggie's post just mentioned the proposed interstate. The original plan is for it to run from Natchez, MS to Augusta, GA, but there is a plan by Congress to extend it westward from Natchez to Austin, TX and eastward from Augusta to Myrtle Beach.

UptownRoadGeek

Is this route really worthy of interstate status?

Revive 755

Quote from: Annunciation70130 on October 12, 2009, 02:30:45 PM
Is this route really worthy of interstate status?

Would be nice to have a good east-west route that bypasses Atlanta, so IMHO the Augusta to Montgomery, AL part of the proposed I-14 would be justified.  I can't see something along most of the US 84 corridor yet, but I don't know how bad traffic on I-10 is getting.

froggie

Not bad enough to where building a new Interstate is justifiable.  Would still be more cost-effective to just widen I-10.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.