Regional Boards > Mid-South

Austin: Loop 360 improvement program

(1/4) > >>

MaxConcrete:
The recommended approach appears to remove all traffic lights by adding overpasses and add one lane in each direction, but not add frontage roads. So this could be a so-called "superstreet" or "New Jersey freeway" (not sure if that term is suitable), a freeway-type facility without access control. This would be similar to US 90 (South Main) in Houston. But nothing is going to happen anytime soon. I lived along Loop 360 near 2222 for six years in the late 1990s into the early 2000s. and traffic was definitely horrible during the high-tech boom.

The cost is very affordable, only $337 million. I think this is a suitable solution for the corridor, even though traffic congestion will still probably exist if/when the project ever gets done.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/txdot-report-foresees-overpasses-added-lanes-for-l/ns2d2/

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2016/11/01/more-lanes-overpasses-suggested-to-improve-capital.html

--- Quote ---Loop 360ís grinding congestion would be best addressed by building overpasses at most of its 20 traffic signals and by adding a lane to each side, according to a two-year Texas Department of Transportation study of the highway released Wednesday.

That recommended plan, which the study says could take up to 20 years to fund and build, should also include flyover bridges connecting Loop 360 to MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1) at the south end and to U.S. 183 at the north end, TxDOT concluded in the 51-page report. The report says there is room to add a lane in each direction to the Pennybacker Bridge over Lake Austin, but officials would have to add a companion bridge alongside to handle bike and pedestrian traffic that now uses the main bridge.

The estimated cost for the entire project would be $337 million in 2016 dollars, the report says, or $385 million if the two added lanes are tolled.
--- End quote ---

In_Correct:
I hope they provide room for frontage roads to be added later.

TXtoNJ:

--- Quote from: In_Correct on November 02, 2016, 02:20:40 PM ---I hope they provide room for frontage roads to be added later.

--- End quote ---

I doubt this will ever happen, nor does it need to - frontage will be maintained with the superstreet/NJ freeway setup. You can be certain that the plans as quoted will be fought tooth and nail to begin with, leading to many relatively unusual solutions for Texas, such as SPUIs and underpasses, to minimize the visual impact of the infrastructure, and keep footprints as small as possible.

In_Correct:
I don't know Austin. And can somebody explain in very simple terms because I don't know the difference between an overpass, underpass, and flyover?  :confused:

Is it (the highway) going to be dug like a trench similar to El Paso, or is it a very large bridge going over everything similar to Wichita Falls?

MaxConcrete:

--- Quote from: In_Correct on November 03, 2016, 03:41:06 PM ---I don't know Austin. And can somebody explain in very simple terms because I don't know the difference between an overpass, underpass, and flyover?  :confused:

Is it (the highway) going to be dug like a trench similar to El Paso, or is it a very large bridge going over everything similar to Wichita Falls?

--- End quote ---

You would need to reference the study report to get those details, and I don't see the report on the TxDOT or Campo sites (but I did not google for it). I'm thinking most grade separations would take the Loop 360 lanes above grade level to go over cross streets, but some intersections may warrant an underpass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version