News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 08:04:39 AM
I will admit, I thought for about a week in late September that Sam Darnold was really making a turnaround and becoming a solid franchise QB. Silly me. In hindsight, trading for Sam Darnold and thinking that he could make something out of this Panthers team ruined their season, and now they're right back into the rebuilding lottery before they really even left. Bad times to be a Panthers fan.

As a Panthers fan, I was unhappy when the Panthers made the trade for Darnold. He was a turnover machine not only for the Jets, but also when he was playing for the University of Spoiled Children (from which I took great comfort, as a fan of one of USC's intrastate rivals). He looked good at the start of this season, but it now seems like he and the Panthers needed more help than they could count on from the fragile Christian McCaffrey.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on October 21, 2021, 05:27:59 PM
Keep in mind that I'm trying to predict these games exactly - down to the point. If the line was Ravens -22 I would bet the Bengals as well. But I'm not simply trying to get close, I'm trying to get one exactly right  :-D

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 21, 2021, 05:40:42 PM
I think I'd personally switch the Ravens and Cowboys.  Ravens D this year isn't what they've been in the past. 

Looks like my thoughts were prescient, and I'm glad I threw a little bit of money on Burrow over 1.5 TDs and Bengals moneyline.

Chris

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on October 21, 2021, 04:05:25 PM
Chiefs 39, Titans 30
Packers 42, Washington 20
Ravens 35, Bengals 13
Giants 31, Panthers 26
Dolphins 34, Falcons 27
Patriots 27, Jets 21
Raiders 32, Eagles 28
Rams 27, Lions 6
Buccaneers 27, Bears 0
Cardinals 24, Texans 20
Colts 23, 49ers 19
Saints 20, Seahawks 17

The Buccaneers' #1 ranked run defense + the Bears' #32 ranked passing offense is as obvious of a recipe for a shutout as I've ever seen. This is a trap game for the Cardinals. Coming off a dominating win at Cleveland last week, with Green Bay looming large a week from today. Their talent gets them the win in a game that ends up being way closer than expected. The Giants manage to save Joe Judge's job for at least one more week, though in my opinion he should have been fired immediately after his post-week 17 press conference in January.
Well, I've picked the Chiefs to win every single week, and they're now 3-4. The Ravens' defense imploding made for an ugly prediction.

On the contrary, I was somewhat close on Bears/Bucs, Eagles/Raiders, and Colts/49ers.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 08:04:39 AM
Not going to bail on the Chiefs quite yet. The Titans, Cowboys, and Buccaneers are the only teams in the league that have offenses capable of controlling time of possession the way that Tennessee did yesterday.

The Chiefs have had a tough schedule so far, but it doesn't really get any better from here. After next week against the Giants, they run out of opportunities to get back on track against bad NFC East opponents. They've got the Packers, Raiders, and Cowboys back-to-back-to-back after that, plus the Bengals, the Chargers again, and the Raiders again down the stretch. And even the Broncos and Steelers are probably thinking they can beat the Chiefs at this point. I don't want to overreact in Week 7, but it's starting to look like 10-7 and a wild-card berth is a best-case scenario.

thspfc

Falcons 36, Panthers 21
Titans 31, Colts 23
Bills 28, Dolphins 19
Bengals 27, Jets 10
Browns 29, Steelers 23
Eagles 34, Lions 14
Rams 31, Texans 9
49ers 27, Bears 17
Patriots 19, Chargers 10
Jaguars 21, Seahawks 20
Saints 26, Buccaneers 14
Washington 29, Broncos 13
Cowboys 38, Vikings 31
Chiefs 27, Giants 20

Belichick and the Patriots defense destroyed Justin Herbert and the Chargers offense last time around. They won 45-0 despite Cam Newton only throwing for 69 yards. It won't be 45-0 this time, but I do expect the Patriots to pull off the upset.

Seems like the Lions are on an every-other-week basis of losing close and being blown out; week 1 was close, week 2 was a blowout, week 3 was close, week 4 was a blowout, etc.

I expect the Saints to upset the Buccaneers. Tom Brady has one "is this actually Tom Brady?" game every season, and it will be this one. Probably not as bad as two weeks short of a year ago vs. the Saints. The media panic on Monday (could the Saints be the best team in the NFC South?) will be hilarious, only for the Bucs to clinch the division by week 15.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 28, 2021, 11:26:48 AM
The media panic on Monday (could the Saints be the best team in the NFC South?) will be hilarious, only for the Bucs  Falcons to clinch the division by week 15.

FTFY!  :-D :-D

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 28, 2021, 11:37:57 AM
The media panic on Monday (could the Saints be the best team in the NFC South?) will be hilarious, only for the Bucs  Falcons to clinch the division by week 15.

FTFY!  :-D :-D
I wish. I want the Falcons to be good because Matt Ryan is one of my favorite players and I feel bad for their fans, but I'm not buying into a team that has gone 3-3 against a schedule of opponents with a combined record of 14-27.

JayhawkCO

Falcons 36, Panthers 21
Titans 31, Colts 23
Bills 28, Dolphins 19
Bengals 27, Jets 10
Browns 29, Steelers 23
Eagles 34, Lions 14
Rams 31, Texans 9
49ers 27, Bears 17
Patriots 19, Chargers 10
Jaguars 21, Seahawks 20
Saints 26, Buccaneers 14
Washington 29, Broncos 13
Cowboys 38, Vikings 31
Chiefs 27, Giants 20

To be contrary, I'll take the Colts over the Titans, the Steelers over the Browns, the Chargers over the Pats, the Bucs over the Saints, and the Vikings over the Cowboys.

Chris

triplemultiplex

Jeez that was the most entertaining Thursday night game I've seen in many years.  What a 4th quarter roller coaster!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

gr8daynegb

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 29, 2021, 03:32:01 PM
Jeez that was the most entertaining Thursday night game I've seen in many years.  What a 4th quarter roller coaster!

Albeit AJ Green for the last Arizona offensive snap looked like a Madden character that just glitched at the worst possible time if you were a cards fan.  As a Packer fan I'll take it as we've seen Packers lose that way often enough
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

The Ghostbuster

How about them Packers! GO PACK GO!

snowc

Carolina wins! FINALLY! After 4 game loss, they come back!  :ded: :wow: :colorful:

1995hoo

The Redskins signed a new kicker before last week's game. Chris Blewitt.

Perhaps appropriately, three of his first five field goal attempts, including two today, have been blocked.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

plain

Troy Aikman near the end of Bucs vs Saints:
There's nobody you would want to have the ball in this type of situation more than Tom Brady

Tom Brady:
**Throws a Pick 6**
Newark born, Richmond bred

thspfc

The Bengals blowing a 31-20 late fourth quarter lead to the Jets and letting Mike White (who?) complete 37 of 45 passes for 405 yards and 3 touchdowns is a meltdown so bad it's meme-worthy. Lol

thspfc

I expect the Saints to upset the Buccaneers. Tom Brady has one "is this actually Tom Brady?" game every season, and it will be this one. Probably not as bad as two weeks short of a year ago vs. the Saints. The media panic on Monday (could the Saints be the best team in the NFC South?) will be hilarious, only for the Bucs to clinch the division by week 15.
Higher scoring than I expected, but nonetheless, the clown show of "Saints gonna win the division"  begins?

The gap between Jameis Winston and Trevor Siemian is small. Not saying that Siemian should be the long-term solution, but I am saying that barring a major improvement, Jameis should not get any sort of significant contract this offseason.

JayhawkCO

Some rumblings the Saints might look at Cam.

Chris

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on October 31, 2021, 07:48:39 PM
The Bengals blowing a 31-20 late fourth quarter lead to the Jets and letting Mike White (who?) complete 37 of 45 passes for 405 yards and 3 touchdowns is a meltdown so bad it's meme-worthy. Lol
The Jets dialed back the long game and were content to just complete passes and get first downs. They should do this more often.

TheHighwayMan3561

Back in winter 1997, 7-year old me watched the Vikings pull out a miracle playoff win over the NY Giants. I thought "Wow! That's my team!" They got blown out the next week to end their season, but the 49ers were way better, so...whatever. Then came 1998, which we will never speak of again. We went into 1999 with mostly the same players, so 9-year old me thinks, this is a championship team soon! Then 2000, then some crappier years, and ups and downs since then, and still waiting.

31-year old me wonders if they hadn't pulled off that crazy win over the Giants, I would have just gone "that team stinks" and found a different team...and not hate everything now.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on November 01, 2021, 12:28:06 AM
The Jets dialed back the long game and were content to just complete passes and get first downs. They should do this more often.
I haven't watched any Jets games, but I wonder if Zach Wilson has been ignoring the type of throws that made White successful yesterday and trying to bomb it on every play like he could do last year at BYU playing against Southeast Northwest Carolina State.

Wilson will probably return in week 10 against the Bills. White is going to start again on Thursday. If he plays well again, he should be the starter in week 10 and thereafter.

thspfc

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 01, 2021, 01:33:53 AM
Back in winter 1997, 7-year old me watched the Vikings pull out a miracle playoff win over the NY Giants. I thought "Wow! That's my team!" They got blown out the next week to end their season, but the 49ers were way better, so...whatever. Then came 1998, which we will never speak of again. We went into 1999 with mostly the same players, so 9-year old me thinks, this is a championship team soon! Then 2000, then some crappier years, and ups and downs since then, and still waiting.

31-year old me wonders if they hadn't pulled off that crazy win over the Giants, I would have just gone "that team stinks" and found a different team...and not hate everything now.
Thankfully, giving up 325 yards and a game-winning touchdown drive to Cooper Rush is only the second most embarrassing defensive performance this week.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 28, 2021, 12:28:59 PM
To be contrary, I'll take the Colts over the Titans, the Steelers over the Browns, the Chargers over the Pats, the Bucs over the Saints, and the Vikings over the Cowboys.

Chris

Colts - Wentz choked
Steelers - Nailed it
Chargers - Didn't play well
Bucs - Brady choked
Vikings - Went all Vikingy.  Being a Vikings fan is like zipping up too fast. (I am deciding whether or not I want my son-to-be to be a Vikings fan.  I wouldn't choose it had I not been born into it).

Chris

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on November 01, 2021, 08:43:40 AM
Quote from: Alps on November 01, 2021, 12:28:06 AM
I haven't watched any Jets games, but I wonder if Zach Wilson has been ignoring the type of throws that made White successful yesterday and trying to bomb it on every play like he could do last year at BYU playing against Southeast Northwest Carolina State.

Wilson will probably return in week 10 against the Bills. White is going to start again on Thursday. If he plays well again, he should be the starter in week 10 and thereafter.
Disagree. Wilson can be given the same game plan. He has the talent and flexibility to do more. When he hits it's great (Titans). I don't think White is the answer if he can't pass over 20 yards.

thspfc

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 01, 2021, 12:05:06 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on October 28, 2021, 12:28:59 PM

Chris

Colts - Wentz choked
Steelers - Nailed it
Chargers - Didn't play well
Bucs - Brady choked
Vikings - Went all Vikingy.  Being a Vikings fan is like zipping up too fast. (I am deciding whether or not I want my son-to-be to be a Vikings fan.  I wouldn't choose it had I not been born into it).

Chris
You and the Vikings is clearly a toxic relationship. Drop it. My advice is to pick a team that is not good right now but has the potential to be, so that you don't get called a bandwagoner  :-D. I will shamelessly admit that that was my main reasoning in picking the Cowboys several years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.