Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

US 58 -- Past, Present, and Future

<< < (10/10)

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: Alps on October 05, 2021, 05:59:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2021, 03:04:56 PM ---Might be straying into fictional territory here, but I think a logical extension of US 58 would be at least to US 25W. If necessary, it could run concurrent with 25W to I-75. This route is an ADHS corridor so the US designation would be appropriate.

--- End quote ---
Question is, does that serve anything that's worthy of a US Highway connection? I see various options for an extension but nothing that screams "connect me." I like US 58 being the longest single-state US highway except for the tiniest possible piece in TN.

--- End quote ---

Cumberland Gap, possibly. And it makes for a decent alternate truck route for I-75 if there are issues between the TN 63 exit and the state line, which have happened in the past with breaks and slides.

The tunnel eliminated US 58's single-state status, but it also did away with US 25E's status as having one of the shortest runs of a US route in a state. I think it was less than two miles in Virginia, but the intersection was fully signed with Virginia-standard signage back in the day. I remember it from the late 60s and early 70s. No cutouts, and I never saw updated signage between some of those family trips and the mid-1990s, by which time US 58 had already been extended into Tennessee.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version