National Boards > General Highway Talk

"The highway where trucks work like electric trains"

(1/3) > >>

SkyPesos:
Found this video in my Youtube sub box today, and the topic seems pretty interesting, about trucks using an overhead line and pantograph on a German freeway to power it (similar to a train), instead of a battery or other sources of fuel. From the video, it seems like the main goal of this is to reduce emissions and fuel usage.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3P_S7pL7Yg

SSR_317:
Interesting. I know several U.S. cities where they have so-called "trolley buses" or streetcars which still use overhead contact system (OCS) wires to provide power to the vehicles, and of course it's common on electrified rail and transit systems, but this is this is the first I've ever seen trucks powered this way. I wonder how they handle billing the trucking companies for use of that system?

MikieTimT:

--- Quote from: SSR_317 on November 26, 2021, 07:21:13 PM ---Interesting. I know several U.S. cities where they have so-called "trolley buses" or streetcars which still use overhead contact system (OCS) wires to provide power to the vehicles, and of course it's common on electrified rail and transit systems, but this is this is the first I've ever seen trucks powered this way. I wonder how they handle billing the trucking companies for use of that system?

--- End quote ---

They would likely need some sort of transponder in the pantograph itself, or just use the Qualcomm system that the companies themselves use to track the trucks.  It's really kind of a no-brainer, century-old technology that gets us past the need to put an enormous battery in the truck itself, like Tesla is attempting to do.  There would only need to be a much smaller battery for the parts of the route off the interstate system.  After regenerating a battery back to full on downhill runs, the truck could regen into the wire to put power back into the system as well.

bwana39:
The city busses in  San Francisco operate like this.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Muni-trolley-wire-visual-pollution-electrifies-5056671.php

MikieTimT:

--- Quote from: bwana39 on November 27, 2021, 11:17:19 AM ---The city busses in  San Francisco operate like this.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Muni-trolley-wire-visual-pollution-electrifies-5056671.php

--- End quote ---

Seattle has some routes with electric buses as well.  I seem to never see more than a couple of people on them at a time, albeit, I may not be seeing them at peak times when I visit my brother.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version