National Boards > General Highway Talk

Highway construction question

(1/4) > >>

XamotCGC:
Can the existing shoulders on a two lane highway be converted to or widen enough for use as another driving lane?

Rothman:
Yes.

Bruce:
Don't see why it would be any different from a parking lane that is converted for thru traffic during peak hours (tons of those in cities).

A slightly different case in Kenmore, WA, where this street has a marked shoulder/parking lane that opens as a long queue lane for a right turn during afternoon peak.

Scott5114:
I think in some states, a shoulder may not be built to the same thickness or durability level as the travel lanes, due to the expectation of lower wear. I seem to recall there being a discussion on here of afreeway work zone where the travel lanes were realigned outward so that the right lane partially rode on the shoulder, and trucks were directed to use the left lane because, unlike the mainlines, the shoulder wasn't built to withstand heavy truck traffic.

Bruce:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on November 29, 2021, 12:06:02 AM ---I think in some states, a shoulder may not be built to the same thickness or durability level as the travel lanes, due to the expectation of lower wear. I seem to recall there being a discussion on here of afreeway work zone where the travel lanes were realigned outward so that the right lane partially rode on the shoulder, and trucks were directed to use the left lane because, unlike the mainlines, the shoulder wasn't built to withstand heavy truck traffic.

--- End quote ---

We had a similar situation in the Seattle area when adding bus-only shoulders. They had to be reconstructed a bit to move weaker drainage equipment and junction boxes that wouldn't be able to handle the weight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version