Out-of-state control cities in non-neighboring states

Started by KCRoadFan, December 01, 2021, 08:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

When it comes to control cities, the vast majority of them are either within the state or in an adjacent state; however, on occasion you'll find one that's in a non-neighboring state. For me, the example that comes to mind most readily is the signage in Maryland for New York on I-95 northbound past Baltimore. (It seems as though MDOT thought that Philadelphia didn't exist, or something like that...)

Further down I-95, in Petersburg, VA at the junction with I-85, you have the somewhat famous signs for Miami and Atlanta (not sure if they're still there or not).

Throughout the country, what other examples are there of control cities in another state - one that's not adjacent to the state in which the sign is located?

1995hoo

Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 01, 2021, 08:49:31 AM
When it comes to control cities, the vast majority of them are either within the state or in an adjacent state; however, on occasion you'll find one that's in a non-neighboring state. For me, the example that comes to mind most readily is the signage in Maryland for New York on I-95 northbound past Baltimore. (It seems as though MDOT thought that Philadelphia didn't exist, or something like that...)

Further down I-95, in Petersburg, VA at the junction with I-85, you have the somewhat famous signs for Miami and Atlanta (not sure if they're still there or not).

Throughout the country, what other examples are there of control cities in another state - one that's not adjacent to the state in which the sign is located?

The signs you reference in Petersburg have been replaced, although as of my most recent trip through the area there was still one LGS just south of I-85 that listed Miami. September 2021 Street View image shows it was still there as of that time (bad sun glare mars image, but I think you can read the sign).

There is also a sign listing "New York City" on northbound I-95 in Fairfax County.

Edited to add: There are also the famous signs listing "New York City" in the general vicinity of Youngstown, Ohio (here's one; there are others).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Pennsylvania features both New York and Baltimore as a control cities on I-95, even though one needs to drive thru NJ and DE first, respectively.

That said, does it meet the merit of this thread, since both NY and MD border PA...just not along the route the control cities reference?

SkyPesos

St Louis on I-70 WB in Indiana, and I-64 WB in Indiana and Kentucky.

On the flipside, MoDOT doesn't mention Indianapolis at all, so that's out, but Louisville on I-64 EB in IL makes it.

JayhawkCO

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2021, 09:25:37 AM
That said, does it meet the merit of this thread, since both NY and MD border PA...just not along the route the control cities reference?

On a similar note, since OH & PA do directly border north of where the Ohio River swings east for Pittsburgh:

Washington PA at the beginning of I-470 in OH, with I-470 (and I-70 beyond) briefly passing thru WV first.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ilpt4u

Illinois using Memphis (I-57, I-255), Nashville (I-24), and Tulsa (I-255)

I think Toledo still exists on a sign for I-80 at the I-57 interchange

GaryV

Michigan uses Duluth on US-41 at the northern end of US-141:
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.5840272,-88.4706907,3a,75y,341.74h,85.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slzlU_wSPUyYOhuEDh7_QmQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Note that both control cities on that sign are NOT on US-141!

Edit: MI and MN technically touch in the waters of Lake Superior - does that invalidate this example?

SP Cook

There is a single sign at the split of I-64 E and I-77 S on the WV Turnpike that states "Richmond use 64 / Charlotte use 77"  although it isn't really a traditional control city sign and the local (and grossly unhelpful, thus the auxiliary signage) control cities of Lewisburg and Bluefield are used for the rest of the time. 

Flint1979

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 01, 2021, 10:17:00 AM
Illinois using Memphis (I-57, I-255), Nashville (I-24), and Tulsa (I-255)

I think Toledo still exists on a sign for I-80 at the I-57 interchange
I can't remember since it's been so long ago but isn't Rolla a control city west of St. Louis? If so I'm wondering why Illinois wouldn't use it too.

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 01, 2021, 09:40:55 AM
St Louis on I-70 WB in Indiana, and I-64 WB in Indiana and Kentucky.

On the flipside, MoDOT doesn't mention Indianapolis at all, so that's out, but Louisville on I-64 EB in IL makes it.

Doesn't count, as Missouri borders Kentucky (although there's no direct highway access, only a ferry), and Illinois borders Kentucky as well, although I-64 goes through Indiana between the two states.

Not technically a control city, but there's a sign on VA 127 eastbound after you turn onto it from US 522 in Virginia that lists mileage to Cumberland. This also technically doesn't count, since Virginia and Maryland border one another, but you have to go through West Virginia and take other routes to get to Cumberland.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jaehak

I-10 in Tucson uses El Paso (correctly, imo) although once in New Mexico it's Lordsburg, Deming, and Las Cruces.

Mapmikey

The Miami LGS past I-85 Petersburg VA was still there 3 weeks ago...

Jacksonville FL from Hardeeville SC - https://goo.gl/maps/pBTXShbiW4DBtCS4A

Roanoke VA from Hagerstown MD (have to pass through WV here) - https://goo.gl/maps/NstVLu8NMUQTFkFT8

Winchester VA from Hancock MD (have to pass through WV here) - https://goo.gl/maps/i47SiyhZoq4YbK5H8

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 01, 2021, 02:34:16 PM
Winchester VA from Hancock MD (have to pass through WV here) - https://goo.gl/maps/i47SiyhZoq4YbK5H8

It's a shame the PennDOT advance signage on I-70 omits Winchester - if it were listed, then it'd be Winchester VA from Warfordsburg PA passing thru both MD & WV!

Which reminds me of another example nearby in Breezewood - Washington DC, which of course requires passing thru MD first.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

KCRoadFan

A point of clarification: even if two states do border otherwise, they are treated as non-neighboring for the purposes of this thread if the route in question passes through other states en route to the control city (as is the case with the signs for Louisville on I-64 in Illinois, because you would be going through Indiana).

SkyPesos

^ In that case, St Louis on I-55 NB in TN, and Memphis on I-55 and 270 SB in MO would count too, as I-55 goes through AR in between.

gonealookin

Related to the thread with three different states represented on mileage signs:  "Boise" on US 95 in downtown Winnemucca, NV.  US 95 passes through about 120 miles of emptiness in Oregon on the way.

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on December 01, 2021, 02:54:31 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on December 01, 2021, 02:34:16 PM

It's a shame the PennDOT advance signage on I-70 omits Winchester - if it were listed, then it'd be Winchester VA from Warfordsburg PA passing thru both MD & WV!

Which reminds me of another example nearby in Breezewood - Washington DC, which of course requires passing thru MD first.

I find it peculiar how they have "D.C." incorrectly spaced out as "D. C." on that sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US20IL64

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 01, 2021, 03:38:04 PM

I find it peculiar how they have "D.C." incorrectly spaced out as "D. C." on that sign.

Seen sign long time ago and couldn't remember if just said 'Washington'. Should say 'DC', as the Postal Service and shipping companies use.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: GaryV on December 01, 2021, 10:22:40 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.5840272,-88.4706907,3a,75y,341.74h,85.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slzlU_wSPUyYOhuEDh7_QmQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Those control cities are for M-28, which swaps between US 41 and US 141 here.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ran4sh

Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 01, 2021, 03:02:15 PM
A point of clarification: even if two states do border otherwise, they are treated as non-neighboring for the purposes of this thread if the route in question passes through other states en route to the control city (as is the case with the signs for Louisville on I-64 in Illinois, because you would be going through Indiana).

Birmingham for the exit from I-75 SB to I-24 (the sign lists both Chattanooga and Birmingham). Similarly, Chattanooga along I-59 in AL north of Gadsden.

These are actual control cities and not novelty destination listings like some of the other provided examples
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

US 89

Mobile, AL appears to be a control on I-10 in parts of eastern Louisiana:

https://goo.gl/maps/qxjyLJM1bY9i6A8S7

Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 01, 2021, 03:02:15 PM

In that case, then any instance of Las Vegas in Utah. That's a lot of I-15 south of SLC and the westernmost parts of I-70, as you're going through Arizona on I-15 to get there.

The reverse also qualifies, with Salt Lake City as the northbound control from Vegas.

Molandfreak

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 01, 2021, 04:57:13 PM
Quote from: GaryV on December 01, 2021, 10:22:40 AM

Those control cities are for M-28, which swaps between US 41 and US 141 here.
And if you want to get really persnickety, Michigan technically borders Minnesota through Lake Superior, but obviously there's no road connection.

Edit: I checked a random point on I-95 in Rhode Island expecting to see New York as a control city, but nope... Westerly? Who knows where Westerly is? Clear example of in-state bias...
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

ilpt4u

Along the "water borders"  line, surprised no one has mentioned Chicago being signed in Michigan and Detroit

Of course, Illinois and Michigan share a water border out on Lake Michigan

jmacswimmer

Quote from: US20IL64 on December 01, 2021, 04:06:48 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 01, 2021, 03:38:04 PM
Seen sign long time ago and couldn't remember if just said 'Washington'. Should say 'DC', as the Postal Service and shipping companies use.

What I find equally interesting is how the PTC has handled the "DC" compared to PennDOT...previous signs also spaced out the letters while omitting periods, but after sign replacements that removed DC from the main signage, this auxiliary sign now does it per the Postal Service.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.