News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 29/US 129/US 441 Interchange

Started by Georgia Guardrail, August 01, 2022, 11:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia Guardrail

ran4sh

Yeah, just a bridge replacement. Supposedly they considered reconfiguring the interchange, but for whatever reason decided not to do so.

There are a few posts in the main Georgia topic about it
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Tom958

Bridge replacement, except the ramps will have to be regraded because the bridges are being raised because coming up with bridge designs that are appropriate to the site instead of using AASHTO beams out of a catalog is just too hard. I emailed them as part of their "virtual public hearing," but of course there was no reply.

GDOT arrogance and stupidity in action.

The Ghostbuster

Why was the Athens Perimeter converted to mileage-based exits in 2000 with the Interstates, when GA 400, the Stone Mountain Freeway, the Liberty Expressway, and the J.R. Allen Parkway all remained sequential? It makes no sense to me. In my opinion, those other routes should have been converted as well, and still should.

ran4sh

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 02, 2022, 06:40:48 PM
Why was the Athens Perimeter converted to mileage-based exits in 2000 with the Interstates, when GA 400, the Stone Mountain Freeway, the Liberty Expressway, and the J.R. Allen Parkway all remained sequential? It makes no sense to me. In my opinion, those other routes should have been converted as well, and still should.

It was never converted per se as it had never had sequential numbers. Before 1999 it had no exit numbering at all. In 1999 exit numbers were added beginning with 1 at SR 316 and increasing clockwise per the MUTCD.

In 2004 it was reversed to have the numbering increase counterclockwise, with GDOT never officially saying why, but I suspect it was to reduce confusion for the stretch of 10 Loop that is used by most visitors to Athens, i.e. from SR 316 to the College Station Rd and US 78 exits to access the UGA campus and/or downtown Athens. With the MUTCD-style clockwise numbers, that traffic would have seen exits 1 followed by 17, 15, 14, 13; with counterclockwise numbering those exits are 1 followed by 4, 6, 7, 8 which are actually in order.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.