News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Trips You Want To Go On At Least Once In Your Life

Started by US 41, September 08, 2014, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

I'm going start by making a list of road trips I want to go on. If you want, just list trips you would like to make as well.

1) Terre Haute, IN - Muskogee, OK - Mazatlan, SIN (MEX).
2) Terre Haute, IN - Toronto, ON - Sudbury, ON - Terre Haute, IN
3) Terre Haute, IN - Montreal, QC
4) Lisbon, Portugal - Barcelona, Spain - Paris, France, - Warsaw, Poland
5) Brisbane, Australia- Perth, Australia
6) Drive around Botswana on A1, A2, and A3
7) Drive Chilean Route 5 from Santiago to northern Chile.
8) Terre Haute, IN - Anchorage, AK
9) Haifa, Israel - Tel Aviv, Israel - Jerusalem, Israel
10) Snowmobile in Antarctica  :-D
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

froggie

In no particular order:

1)  NC 12
2)  US 1 to Key West
3)  Los Angeles freeway system
4)  Pacific Coast Highway
5)  I-70 west of Denver
6)  Amtrak's California Zephyr (not a "road" trip per se, though railroads are a type of "road")
7)  Amtrak's Empire Builder

corco

1) I have a 3 week loop planned from Croatia to Germany to Romania to Bosnia to Croatia I have wanted to take for a while, just need the resources
2) Dempster Highway
3) Montana to Quebec, hoping to do that next year maybe in conjunction with the UP meet.
4) Trans-Laborador and Newfoundland
5) Paris to Istanbul
6) Clinch US 1, 6, and 62

Zeffy

Of the top of my head (in a loose order):

1. Hillsborough, NJ - Pittsburgh, PA
2. Hillsborough, NJ - Boston, MA
3. Hillsborough, NJ - Hartford, CT
4. Hillsborough, NJ - Chicago, IL
(you get this now?)
5. To Miami, FL
6. Pacific Coast Highway
7. To Denver, CO
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kkt

Hmm. 

Alaska Highway-Dalton Highway
Overseas Highway
Grande Corniche
Baja Highway
Cape Breton loop
Pan American Highway

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on September 08, 2014, 05:00:45 PM

An excellent first choice.  A playground for anyone interested in infrastructure.

I have so little flexibility to just take off anymore, but I really want to drive up to James Bay.  It would somehow tie the world together a little more for me.

Duke87

Planned near term:
- UK/London. Drive all over for one week, ride trains all over for another.
- cross country, northern tier - visiting the remainder of the lower 48 I have not been to

Planned longer term:
- cross country through Canada from Ontario west, then to Alaska
- Canadian maritimes/Labrador

Pipe dreams, may or may not happen someday:
- Japan
- Australia
- Italy
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 08, 2014, 08:32:50 PM
An excellent first choice.  A playground for anyone interested in infrastructure.
I just did this recently...great place to visit.  If you like bridges and tunnels, this place is for you.  If you want a tunnel all to yourself, drive the Wabash.

1995hoo

In no particular order:

–The Overseas Highway to Key West
–The Hana Highway (and the continuation around the south side)
–The entire Kahekili Highway (especially the super-narrow windy part)
–The Alaska Highway
–The Saddle Road and the Waipio Valley Road
–The Eyre Highway in Australia
–The Guoliang Tunnel Road
–A road trip around Scotland, including Campbeltown (Springbank Distillery!) and the Road to Applecross
–A road trip around Ireland

I think it'd be interesting to travel the Road of Bones to Magadan, but I'm not crazy or stupid enough actually to think I'd ever do it. I'd also love to be able to travel from Istanbul to Delhi via the historic route through the Khyber Pass, but I doubt that will be viable or even remotely safe in my lifetime.

The next major trip we're discussing, aside from our Christmas visit to see relatives in Florida, is a trip to Rome roughly a year from now, and if we make that trip we won't be renting a car or doing any road-tripping.

Regarding Hawaii, I've been to Oahu (did not rent a car) and Kauai (did rent a car and drove all over except for Polihale).

Of the trips listed above, obviously Key West is the most realistic in the short term, though I've struggled to figure out how to fit it into any of our Florida itineraries due to our desire to spend time with our relatives while their kids are still kids.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rainking75

I-70 Denver to western terminus
PCH
US 50 across Nevada
I-94 across Montana
US66
I-24 over Monteagle

There's more I'm sure I'll think of later...

US71

-Lincoln Highway
-Jefferson Highway
-Route 66
-US 71
-National Road
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

corco

QuoteI-94 across Montana

That...is an interesting choice. Mind if I ask why?

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on September 08, 2014, 04:37:33 PM
In no particular order:

1)  NC 12

I'm a bit surprised you haven't done this one. I know I've told the story of how I tricked my mom into taking US 70 east out of the Raleigh area instead of US 64 when she had taken over driving for my dad on a family vacation to the Outer Banks so we could ride the ferry. My dad didn't get too mad about that one; he was a bit of a roadgeek himself.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RoadWarrior56

I have already made the ultimate road trip.  Atlanta to Anchorage, AK in 12.5 days back in 2005.

KG909

This is long and going to last 7 weeks but here:
Starting point: Fontana, CA
2. Flagstaff, AZ
3. Albuquerque, NM
4. Dallas, TX
5. Memphis, TN
6. ATL, GA
7. St. Louis, MO
8. Chicago, IL
9. Detroit, MI
10. Cleveland, OH
11. Ashland, PA
12. NYC, NY
13. Philadelphia, PA
14. Washington DC
15. Savannah, GA
16. Miami, FL
17. Key West, FL
18. Tallahassee, FL
19. New Orleans, LA
20. Houston, TX
21. San Antonio, TX
22. Las Cruces, NM
23. Yuma, AZ
24. Julian, CA
25. Perris, CA
End
~Fuccboi

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on September 08, 2014, 08:51:17 PM
I just did this recently...great place to visit.  If you like bridges and tunnels, this place is for you.  If you want a tunnel all to yourself, drive the Wabash.

I describe Pittsburgh as a region-sized machine for the production of primarily one product, one which it doesn't make much of anymore.  It is still fascinating to look at the massive scale of organization that exists around this one goal, both extant and vestigial.  Any lover of the built environment can keep busy for days. 

Zeffy

Well, Boston was originally a number one destination, but then I saw the view of the Pittsburgh skyline from the Fort Pitt Tunnel and was mesmerized. Once I get everything I need for the trip, I will make it as soon as I can. My route basically utilizes I-70 from the Pennsylvania Turnpike and goes to I-79 to get to I-376 so I can hit the tunnel (I believe that was it).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

I have a lot planned, so here are the unplanned:
* Dalton Highway (I'll drive one way, not both)
* PEI remaining route clinch
* HI remaining route clinch
* Pan-Am Highway
* Cross country and back on non-freeways
* US 61

CNGL-Leudimin

I'd like to go from home all the way to China :sombrero:. Also at least one road trip in the US.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 41

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 09, 2014, 04:32:17 AM
I'd like to go from home all the way to China :sombrero:. Also at least one road trip in the US.

Just go through Belarus and you'll be fine. (Stay away from Ukraine.)

english si

For Spain-China, across to Turkey and then through Iran (then through the ex-soviet -stans) is a better bet than Russia. Especially given Russia-EU tensions over Ukraine (and Belarus will support Russia more than Russia does!). Also not as much driving across boring plains as a more northern route.

A few people have mentioned the Future People's Republic of Scotland. While there's lots of roads I want to do there, this grand tour I've made up seems to cover a lot of the more scenic routes on the mainland (though I do use two ferries in order to see Skye), including most of most National Tourist Routes.

US 41

Quote from: english si on September 09, 2014, 09:50:43 AM
For Spain-China, across to Turkey and then through Iran (then through the ex-soviet -stans) is a better bet than Russia. Especially given Russia-EU tensions over Ukraine (and Belarus will support Russia more than Russia does!). Also not as much driving across boring plains as a more northern route.

A few people have mentioned the Future People's Republic of Scotland. While there's lots of roads I want to do there, this grand tour I've made up seems to cover a lot of the more scenic routes on the mainland (though I do use two ferries in order to see Skye), including most of most National Tourist Routes.

I'd rather chance it through Russia, than through Iran and Pakistan. Isis is also in the area and they are beheading captured Americans.

NE2

I'd like to drive over a bridge that collapses while I'm on it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 41

Quote from: NE2 on September 09, 2014, 10:12:20 AM
I'd like to drive over a bridge that collapses while I'm on it.

This comment is so off topic and stupid. And this is exactly why most people haven't missed you not being on here.

1995hoo

Quote from: US 41 on September 09, 2014, 09:59:07 AM
Quote from: english si on September 09, 2014, 09:50:43 AM

I'd rather chance it through Russia, than through Iran and Pakistan. Isis is also in the area and they are beheading captured Americans.

ISIS is certainly a valid concern, but I wouldn't necessarily be worried about Iran per se. I'd be more worried about the US government's retaliation against any of its citizens who might travel to Iran–I'd be concerned that I'd probably wind up on a no-fly list or the like. With all that said, though, I've read the crossing from Iran to Pakistan is particularly dangerous and should be avoided. Unfortunately, the alternative is probably worse because it requires going through Afghanistan. From Tehran you could always turn northeast towards Turkmenistan and on to China through the former Soviet Central Asian republics (the old Silk Road).

Regarding Russia, I've long wanted to travel the Trans-Siberian Railway, taking a few days to see parts of the country at the western end before or after the train trip, but since I don't speak more than a very few words of Russian and I can't read their alphabet (again other than a few words I recognize, like "PECTOPAH" being "restaurant") I don't think it's a practical idea. There's so much history in Russia I'd love to see and I know we didn't even really scratch the surface during our brief two days in St. Petersburg in 2007.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.