News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 1 Shoreline Highway

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 06, 2021, 08:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Recently I had an opportunity to drive the entire Shoreline Highway segment of California State Route 1 from US 101 in Marin County looping back to US 101 in Leggett of Mendocino County 210 miles to the north.  The Shoreline Highway tends to get somewhat pushed out of the spotlight given the most frequently documented part of California State Route 1 is in Big Sur.  Nonetheless the Shoreline Highway offers a large array of scenic terrain in addition a diverse set of communities which still largely resemble what one would expect out of the 19th Century or early 20th Century.  Part 1 of the three part blog series examines the history of the Shoreline Highway and features a tour of California State Route 1 in Marin County. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/02/california-state-route-1-shoreline.html

Max Rockatansky

Part 2 of the Shoreline Highway series features a drive on California State Route 1 through Sonoma County.  Like Part 1 the Sonoma County segment features historical briefs about places of interest in Sonoma County such as; Fort Ross, Bodega Bay, Duncans Railroad and others.  Part 3 of the Shoreline Highway series when completed will feature California State Route 1 in Mendocino County. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/02/california-state-route-1-shoreline_11.html

nexus73

Early in the 21st century I visited a friend who lived in a beach cottage in Stinson Beach.  That gave me a chance to do the drive all the way to Leggett on 1.  The part that surprised me the most was the northernmost stretch as it heads from the coast to 101.  What a classic redwoods drive this part of 1 is!

You sure do find a lot of interesting routes to talk about Max.  I always enjoy reading what you have to say!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on February 12, 2021, 09:17:16 AM
Early in the 21st century I visited a friend who lived in a beach cottage in Stinson Beach.  That gave me a chance to do the drive all the way to Leggett on 1.  The part that surprised me the most was the northernmost stretch as it heads from the coast to 101.  What a classic redwoods drive this part of 1 is!

You sure do find a lot of interesting routes to talk about Max.  I always enjoy reading what you have to say!

Rick

Mendocino County is probably the sole reason I broke this up into a three parter.  We stayed out in Fort Bragg for a couple days which gave me some time to really explore the segment of 1 north to Leggett.  There a crap ton of interesting ghost towns in Mendocino County like Rockport which I want to really hit on.

Occidental Tourist

I haven't been to Mendocino or up the Shoreline Highway in over 20 years.  And it drizzled on us the whole time.  Thanks for posting these.

Max Rockatansky

Part 3 of the California State Route 1 Shoreline Highway series features a drive through Mendocino County.  The Mendocino County portion of the Shoreline Highway is probably the sole reason that I decided to do a series instead of a singular blog.  Mendocino County carries a beautiful segment of California State Route 1 but the amount of history and interesting places to be found is massive.  If you're a fan of the outdoors, railroads, ghost towns and scenic driving they can all be found on the Shoreline Highway in Mendocino County. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/02/california-state-route-1-shoreline_14.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.