News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 28, 2011, 07:39:19 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on June 28, 2011, 07:34:05 PM
I know the shield gallery has an I-530 from Washington, but IIRC, it's not really an error shield.  It was done as a joke at the DOT shop, and is posted at the exit of said shop.

I have never been able to find that.  You'd imagine 530 isn't all that long of a route, too...

is it visible from mainline 530?

I've never seen it myself, I was just going from memory of what I read on the site the photo was originally posted on.  My guess is that if it still exists, it's within the shop, and was never visible to the public.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ftballfan on June 29, 2011, 10:12:04 PM
I have yet to find an error shield in Michigan.

at one point, there was a Pennsylvania state route 31 (!) posted on US-31 in Michigan.  I do not have a picture. 

I do have a picture of this circle being used for M-10.

there are also certain US-10 shields which were put up well after the truncation in 1986.

both are from Detroit.  there are also MICHIGAN/US/10 shields left, but I do believe even the city installs are from before 1986. 

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

D-Dey65

Remember when I told you people about this picture in rural Pasco County, Florida?

Still there, incorrect as usual.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 29, 2011, 11:05:26 PM
at one point, there was a Pennsylvania state route 31 (!) posted on US-31 in Michigan.  I do not have a picture. 

I saw it in my rear-view mirror while driving south on I-196 after the Grand Rapids meet a few years ago. I know there are some photos of it floating around out there because I have seen them. It was in the northbound lanes of I-196.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Quote from: hbelkins on June 30, 2011, 12:36:47 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 29, 2011, 11:05:26 PM

I saw it in my rear-view mirror while driving south on I-196 after the Grand Rapids meet a few years ago. I know there are some photos of it floating around out there because I have seen them. It was in the northbound lanes of I-196.

Both assemblies are pictured in the PA Shield in MI thread.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

Scott5114

Speaking of erroneous shields...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

xonhulu

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ftballfan

In my defense, I have never been to the city of Detroit and I have not been down I-196 south of Holland in years.

Scott5114

Quote from: xonhulu on June 30, 2011, 04:03:45 PM
Here's another from OK:

How old is that? There was a circle there when I went in 2007.

xonhulu

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 01, 2011, 12:58:14 AM
How old is that? There was a circle there when I went in 2007.

I took it July last year.

nyratk1

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 30, 2011, 01:57:51 PM
Speaking of erroneous shields...
***US 9 shield in Oklahoma***
Now I know parts of upstate NY are backwoods and rural but since when did it literally become Oklahoma? Welp, enjoy all those tornadoes, guys.  :-P

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

WahooBill

I found this one in my files from 2002.

Bill

rickmastfan67

national highway 1

Here I-69 is shown as 'I-96'.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

NE2

Quote from: national highway 1 on July 04, 2011, 11:49:03 PM
[snip map image]
Here I-69 is hown as 'I-96'.
Here shown is shown as 'hown'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadfro

Quote from: national highway 1 on July 04, 2011, 11:49:03 PM
(snip Wikipedia map image)
Here I-69 is hown as 'I-96'.

This thread is supposed to be about signs, not maps... In any event, I have requested this map image be corrected--the Wikipedia USRD Maps Task Force doesn't always see activity, so it could be a while before it is changed.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

It's an SVG. Why not fix it yourself?

Brandon

What went here?

I don't think it just blew off into the Iowa cornfields either.  The other signs for this exit were like that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Brandon

Been trying to catch this one unsuccessfully for years (either no camera, traffic, or I just dropped the ball).

Note how IDOT District 3 is following IDOT District 1's approach to signage by making both signs the same height.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Scott5114

And that's a perfect example of why making all the signs on one gantry the same height is ridiculous.

deathtopumpkins

I usually think that practice is very aesthetically pleasing if done correctly.
It would look much better if the spacing on the right sign was adjusted, i.e. move the shield up a bit and bring the arrow down under the text.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

myosh_tino

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2011, 11:53:55 PM
And that's a perfect example of why making all the signs on one gantry the same height is ridiculous.
Not really.  Why not put the control cities on the advance guide sign (exit 75) next the route shield instead of under it.  That will prevent the exit direction sign (exit 77) from having too much wasted space.  Kind of like this...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.