News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

A place where there is one good erronious road sign is On US 10 near Ludington, MI for US 31.  Just east of Ludington US 10 and US 31 duplex for a few miles, but a mile west of the two route concurrency, US 10 intersects with Business US 31.  At that intersection the trailblazing for US 31 for those departing the Cross Lake Ferry that has TO US 31 shields all the way from the ferry dock, shows SB US 31 Business as the way to go to access both directions of US 31.

I have a photo that I will upload to here, but for now take my word or check google street view.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SSOWorld

A series from Wisconsin - the Sign Goof State.

I don't recall a WIS 61, but I know US 61 is ahead of us.  (Side note, the third assembly should be right at the stop sign.)

Such large numbers - not standard for sure

MUTCD Yellow?  Don't these get the new neon green?

More of a vintage sign, the "I" fell off, seems the dash did too.  Also the pic isn't standard.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cu2010

Quote from: Master son on October 16, 2011, 10:32:59 PM

I don't know if it's MUTCD-standard, but New York uses numbers that size in it's new Speed Zone Ahead signs...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

agentsteel53

a Wisconsin error gantry going the other way:

and one which cannot make up its mind:

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 17, 2011, 12:32:57 AM
...and one which cannot make up its mind:

At least they made the effort...

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on October 17, 2011, 09:43:23 AM

At least they made the effort...

having either "WIS" or "US" above the number was a standard until 1982 or so.  This makes it a different situation than, say, here:

the sign, while a tad non-standard, does illustrate that US-3 is ahead, but is in New Hampshire.

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Looks like the sign maker painted that sign :/ :pan: :eyebrow:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

okroads

Here's a tricky one: This is on the Dallas North Tollway northbound; U.S. 380 is signed as Business U.S. 380 here.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Master son on October 17, 2011, 11:16:13 AM

that is surprisingly commonly done

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Looks more like sharpie marker.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ian

Quote from: deanej on October 18, 2011, 07:00:38 AM
Looks more like sharpie marker.

I was thinking the same thing.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

sp_redelectric

That's not a goof, that's Oregon making its presence known in the rest of the nation!  Wisconsin adds the word "Limit" to make it a Wisconsin sign.

codyg1985

Quote from: cu2010 on October 16, 2011, 11:51:10 PM

I don't know if it's MUTCD-standard, but New York uses numbers that size in it's new Speed Zone Ahead signs...

So does Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Although, with that said I don't think the numbers that those states use are quite as large as the ones in your original picture, but they are larger than on a standard speed limit sign.

Sign W3-5 in the MUTCD 2009 shows larger numerals as well:

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rickmastfan67

Somebody either forgot to take these US-150 signs down, or just put them up, because they look rather new.  And this isn't US-150 (at least now, but I think it was before US-150 was put on I-64 here).

http://g.co/maps/7xfy8
http://g.co/maps/824hb

hbelkins

The infamous "PA 97" signs at the intersection of WV 97 and US 52/WV 80 in Wyoming County are still there. Saw them yesterday. Got photos.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ftballfan

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 19, 2011, 07:37:03 AM
Quote from: cu2010 on October 16, 2011, 11:51:10 PM

So does Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Although, with that said I don't think the numbers that those states use are quite as large as the ones in your original picture, but they are larger than on a standard speed limit sign.

Sign W3-5 in the MUTCD 2009 shows larger numerals as well:

Michigan has signs like those now, especially on state highways.

hbelkins

I suspect this is misspelled. From Oceana, WV:

national highway 1

What shield is that '961'?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

NE2

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 25, 2011, 07:54:53 PM
What shield is that '961'?
"Home access road program", basically a shared driveway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

adt1982

This should be an Illinois sign.  And it's even worse how all each sign overlaps the one below it.

It's at the intersection of Farmersville Road and Illinois 4 in Girard.  I'm guessing this assembly came from the county highway department.  I didn't see any type of IDOT markings.

CL

Utah usually does well in keeping signage errors to a minimum. Once in a blue moon, a state highway shield may be installed where a U.S. highway shield was called for. Once in a hundred blue moons...

This is on Bangerter Highway at SR-201. That interchange was just reconfigured to a diverging diamond. The stunning thing about this is that there are several correct SR-201 shields that were installed at the same time, as part of the same project. I don't know how two US-201 shields were produced alongside several SR-201 signs. This is only one of two instances I know of where a U.S. highway shield was installed in place of a state highway shield. The other is SR-210 at SR-190 (and it still stands).

On the plus side, UDOT chose to use a three-digit width shield...
Infrastructure. The city.

hbelkins

Quote from: CL on October 30, 2011, 02:21:04 AM
On the plus side, UDOT chose to use a three-digit width shield...

Not a plus in m book.

Central Avenue

This temporary guide sign along I-71 southbound in Columbus has an Ohio 40 shield instead of a US 40 shield.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

hbelkins

Temporary signage, in Clearview no less.

Quillz

Is Ohio a state that classifies all numbered highways, regardless of actual class, as state routes? If so, that would not technically be an error shield.

Some states, like California, do that. That is, I-5 is actually maintained as "CA-5."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.