News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 11 Tollway begins in San Diego

Started by ARMOURERERIC, December 10, 2013, 04:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Any chance they might consider proposing to build a fourth border crossing in the San Diego area, either east of CA 11, or somewhere between Interstate 5 and CA 905? They probably wouldn't propose building one west of Interstate 5.

oscar

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 31, 2021, 09:51:49 PM
Any chance they might consider proposing to build a fourth border crossing in the San Diego area, either east of CA 11, or somewhere between Interstate 5 and CA 905?

Why would another crossing be needed?

One limiting factor is Tijuana's international airport, which is just south of the border and occupies much of the space between the I-5 and CA 905 crossings. The airport has its own pedestrian-only border crossing, so U.S. residents can use Tijuana's airport, while leaving their cars on the U.S. side. That can be a convenient way to travel from Tijuana to other Mexico cities, with more limited or expensive flight connections from U.S. airports.

East of the new crossing to be built along with the CA 11 extension, there seems not to be much population or development on either side of the border, until you reach the existing Tecate crossing (served by CA 188). There's also a wilderness area on the U.S. side between the new crossing and Tecate.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

The Ghostbuster

My question was a hypothetical "what-if" question. Suppose someday, having three border crossings in the San Diego area will prove to be insufficient to meet demand that a fourth border crossing would need to be proposed and constructed.

oscar

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 31, 2021, 11:01:27 PM
My question was a hypothetical "what-if" question. Suppose someday, having three border crossings in the San Diego area will prove to be insufficient to meet demand that a fourth border crossing would need to be proposed and constructed.

But, hypothetically, where could you put a fourth crossing? As explained above, with the new third crossing (CA 11) in the pipeline, we're starting to run out of good places for additional crossings. You might have to settle for expanding one or more of the existing crossings.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

theroadwayone

Quote from: oscar on December 31, 2021, 11:59:58 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 31, 2021, 11:01:27 PM

But, hypothetically, where could you put a fourth crossing? As explained above, with the new third crossing (CA 11) in the pipeline, we're starting to run out of good places for additional crossings. You might have to settle for expanding one or more of the existing crossings.
There was a plan to build the 905 west of the 5 to Border Field, but that's unlikely if not impossible at this time.

ARMOURERERIC

There had been some rumblings about a Jacumba Hot Springs crossing, freeway to freeway, when 8 lived in boulevard.

rshrsh

Not sure if this is really the right thread, but since there was a lot more discussion about the 125/905/11 interchange here and not the 125 thread, I'll post it here.

Press ceremony and ribbon cutting of the 125SB to 905WB interchange was this morning, though when I drove by it around 1pm today the ramp was still blocked off. Hopefully though it'll be open by the time I have to drive it next Tuesday.

Source: https://twitter.com/SDCaltrans/status/1551954543440670720

pderocco

I've been unable to find any detailed plans on the web for the CA-11 project. I go down there now and then to see what's going on, and they've been working at a leisurely pace on the Siempre Viva interchange, but it doesn't look like they're actually going to connect it to the rest of that road. The Alta overpass has been sitting there half finished for over a year. Does anyone know where a detailed map can be found for the whole project?

andy3175

Update on the final segment of SR 11 and the connection to the soon to be constructed port of entry and border crossing leading into Mexico.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/transportation/story/2022-10-14/san-diego-inks-deal-with-mexico-over-tolling-at-new-otay-mesa-border-crossing

QuoteOfficials from across the San Diego-Baja California region on Friday celebrated a painstakingly negotiated binational agreement for collecting tolls at the envisioned new Otay Mesa border crossing.

The deal – unanimously approved by the San Diego Association of Governments board of directors – calls for one tolling facility located north of the border. The revenue would be split evenly with Mexico, pulling in an estimated $3.4 billion for each country over the next four decades. ....

The roughly $1.47 billion project is aimed at dramatically reducing wait times as well as emission-spewing idling at the two current ports of entry in Otay Mesa and San Ysidro.

The new facility, dubbed Otay Mesa East, is expected to open in 2024, providing 10 lanes in both directions serving passenger and commercial traffic, according to SANDAG. Average crossing times at the new facility are projected to be from five to 25 minutes for passenger vehicles and 15 to 45 minutes for freight traffic.

The project reached a milestone this summer with the completion of the connecting highway network, which included work on state routes 125, 905 and 11. ...

However, the new port of entry is not yet fully funded. While SANDAG has secured $719 million for the project, the agency is still looking for another $418 million, largely through loans and grants.

Likewise, Mexico has ponied up $315 million but still needs to find another $20 million to complete the deal.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

andy3175

Quote from: pderocco on July 26, 2022, 10:07:36 PM
I've been unable to find any detailed plans on the web for the CA-11 project. I go down there now and then to see what's going on, and they've been working at a leisurely pace on the Siempre Viva interchange, but it doesn't look like they're actually going to connect it to the rest of that road. The Alta overpass has been sitting there half finished for over a year. Does anyone know where a detailed map can be found for the whole project?
Does this Sandag link help?

https://www.sandag.org/uploads/projectid/projectid_56_27817.pdf
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

pderocco

Quote from: andy3175 on October 17, 2022, 11:12:27 PM

Thanks, but I've seen that. Interesting info, but often it's possible to find really detailed maps showing the intended striping on the roads, etc.

It's nice to hear they think they're making progress. Maybe they'll give the one guy with the shovel some co-workers and some heavy equipment one of these days, and we'll start seeing some actual progress.

theroadwayone

Quote from: pderocco on October 18, 2022, 12:08:55 AM
Quote from: andy3175 on October 17, 2022, 11:12:27 PM

Thanks, but I've seen that. Interesting info, but often it's possible to find really detailed maps showing the intended striping on the roads, etc.

It's nice to hear they think they're making progress. Maybe they'll give the one guy with the shovel some co-workers and some heavy equipment one of these days, and we'll start seeing some actual progress.
It's still going to be interesting to see how much just that one guy can do by himself in the meantime.

theroadwayone

Apparently Google has published updated Street View footage of the SB 125/905/11 direct connectors and some of the 11/Enrico Fermi Dr. DDI.

pderocco

As usual, you can see more recent imagery in Google Earth if you turn on Historical Imagery. Not top quality, but later.

I go down there every few weeks, and it looks like they're getting ready to lay concrete and rebar to connect Paseo De La Fuente to Siempre Viva Rd by its new interchange at the end of the 11 freeway, which has had traffic lights set up for a couple months now. They're also finishing the Alta Rd bridge over the freeway, because there are a couple of commercial properties on the south side that look like they're ready to be developed.

But still no trace of closing the Siempre Viva Rd gap. That's probably years away. (Not to mention the other Siempre Viva Rd gap west of La Media Rd, which is probably 30 years old.)

I'm also interested in the connection between Otay Valley Rd and Otay Mesa Rd, just west of the airport. There's a quarter-section that was filled with junk cars, which has now been cleared out, and the slabs of concrete have been dug up, ground up, and left in piles to be hauled away. I'm wondering if they'll extend Otay Valley Rd through a nice S curve into the light at Otay Mesa Rd, and then rename the whole thing Heritage Rd. They could rename the existing Heritage Rd through the remaining junk yards Heritage Ln or something. I've been unable to track down any plans for that area online.

pderocco

The Alta Rd overpass is complete, and the road continues a quarter mile south of the freeway, providing access to a couple of new industrial buildings, although traffic is constrained to the two lanes on the east side of the road for now.

Pavement now connects Paseo De La Fuente to the Siempre Viva Rd interchange, and it looks like they'll be striping it any time now. I have no idea if they'll actually open it up for a while, but industrial property seems to be going fast down there, and those new roads looks like they will serve several new businesses. So it looks like CA-11 may be a mile longer pretty soon.

On the Mexican side, GE historical imagery makes it look like a couple of salvage yards are gradually being cleared out where the new customs facility is likely to be located.

At the west end of Brown Field, it looks like more of the junk yards are slowly moving out, to make room for modern industrial development, along Heritage Rd north of Datsun Rd. Is there anywhere in California that has more auto and truck salvage yards than Otay Mesa?

brad2971

Quote from: pderocco on February 26, 2023, 10:38:51 PM
The Alta Rd overpass is complete, and the road continues a quarter mile south of the freeway, providing access to a couple of new industrial buildings, although traffic is constrained to the two lanes on the east side of the road for now.

Pavement now connects Paseo De La Fuente to the Siempre Viva Rd interchange, and it looks like they'll be striping it any time now. I have no idea if they'll actually open it up for a while, but industrial property seems to be going fast down there, and those new roads looks like they will serve several new businesses. So it looks like CA-11 may be a mile longer pretty soon.

On the Mexican side, GE historical imagery makes it look like a couple of salvage yards are gradually being cleared out where the new customs facility is likely to be located.

At the west end of Brown Field, it looks like more of the junk yards are slowly moving out, to make room for modern industrial development, along Heritage Rd north of Datsun Rd. Is there anywhere in California that has more auto and truck salvage yards than Otay Mesa?

Where else would you have put them in San Diego County? Or would you have recommended that those auto and truck salvage yards be placed right around the SR 98 exit on I-8?

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: pderocco on February 26, 2023, 10:38:51 PMIs there anywhere in California that has more auto and truck salvage yards than Otay Mesa?

Possibly Wilmington.

pderocco

Quote from: brad2971 on February 27, 2023, 07:31:08 AM
Where else would you have put them in San Diego County? Or would you have recommended that those auto and truck salvage yards be placed right around the SR 98 exit on I-8?

That's Imperial Co. But I wasn't complaining. It will be interesting to see where they all go, now that they're being priced out of that area. I don't understand the economics of junk yards, but it feels like proximity to Mexico is somehow meaningful, as if that's where a lot of customers come from. Indeed, there are a lot of junk yards in Tijuana, too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.