News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Rhode Island News

Started by southshore720, April 21, 2015, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: doogie1303 on February 17, 2016, 08:39:13 PMThe other question that hasn't been answered is are they allowed to toll only one class of vehicle? I've heard of multi-tiered toll amounts for different class vehicles, but I never heard of a case of one class of vehicle being tolled whereas all other classes get a free pass.
Along the NYS Thruway (I-87/287), north/west of the Garden State Parkway exit (Exit 14A), there is one gantry/plaza along the northbound lanes (Spring Valley Plaza) that only charges tolls for trucks, busses & trailers but not for passenger vehicles.

Approach signage for Spring Valley Plaza

NYS Thruway toll schedule for Spring Valley and Tappan Zee Bridge

Quote from: From Above-Schedule in small printNo tolls are collected from Class 2L vehicles or 2 axle Motorhomes with the Motorhome plan at the Spring Valley Toll Barrier.

Long story short, there can be a precedent for such tiered-tolling.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

abqtraveler

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 18, 2016, 09:25:16 AM
Quote from: doogie1303 on February 17, 2016, 08:39:13 PMThe other question that hasn't been answered is are they allowed to toll only one class of vehicle? I've heard of multi-tiered toll amounts for different class vehicles, but I never heard of a case of one class of vehicle being tolled whereas all other classes get a free pass.
Along the NYS Thruway (I-87/287), north/west of the Garden State Parkway exit (Exit 14A), there is one gantry/plaza along the northbound lanes (Spring Valley Plaza) that only charges tolls for trucks, busses & trailers but not for passenger vehicles.

Quote from: From Above-Schedule in small printNo tolls are collected from Class 2L vehicles or 2 axle Motorhomes with the Motorhome plan at the Spring Valley Toll Barrier.

I do remember the toll plaza on the New York Thruway that only charges trucks/trailers.  It was between the Tappan Zee Bridge and the split for I-87 North/287 South (into N.J.).  That's a nice memory jogger.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

NoGoodNamesAvailable

[/quote]

Random question, but what would be to stop a truck without ezpass from going through the gantry?

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on February 26, 2016, 05:45:56 PM

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on February 26, 2016, 05:46:29 PM

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on February 26, 2016, 05:45:56 PM

Random question: what would stop a truck without ezpass from going through the gantry?

PHLBOS

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on February 26, 2016, 05:47:39 PMRandom question: what would stop a truck without ezpass from going through the gantry?
Cameras mounted on the gantry would take a photograph of the truck's license plate.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

It appears RIDOT, unlike MassDOT, is able to admit its plans for their exit number conversion project. Link to article by Providence TV station:
http://wpri.com/2016/03/29/ri-set-to-renumber-all-its-highway-exit-signs/

mariethefoxy

we down to just Delaware, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York, something tells me New York is going to be the last one to change over.

AMLNet49

Sounds like all interchanges are going to be numbered on several roads that currently have no exit numbers. RI-99, RI-146, RI-403, US-6

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: bob7374 on March 29, 2016, 10:28:00 PM
It appears RIDOT, unlike MassDOT, is able to admit its plans for their exit number conversion project. Link to article by Providence TV station:

Will the Henderson Expy stub get exit numbers? haha
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

Quote from: mariethefoxy on March 29, 2016, 10:34:40 PM
we down to just Delaware, New Hampshire, Vermont, the New Jersey Turnpike and New York, something tells me New York is going to be the last one to change over.
FTFY.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

we down to just Delaware, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York, something tells me New York is going to be the last one to change over.

With Delaware, will they be converting the kilometer-post system on DE 1 to use miles?

abqtraveler

Looks like the FHWA is telling the remaining sequential numbering hold-outs to "get it done."  Wonder how long it will be until Vermont and New Hampshire announce their plans to convert to mile-based exit numbering, and I'm also curious as to whether the FHWA will make Connecticut speed up its 20-year timetable to complete its renumbering.  Lawmakers in New York have been fighting over exit renumbering for nearly the past decade, and I don't see that being settled anytime soon.  So New York may be the "last man standing" when it comes to sequential exit numbering.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

NE2

California may be the last when it comes to getting mile-based numbers up :D
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

abqtraveler

Quote from: NE2 on March 30, 2016, 11:09:13 AM

It's been 5 years since the last time I was in California, but they're making steady progress on adding exit number tabs to their freeways.  My recollection was that I-5 from Sacramento to the Oregon border and all of I-80 from the Nevada line to San Francisco all had exit numbers.  New signs had the exit number within the sign, while a new exit number tab was added to older signs on these routes.  Not sure how progress is going on other routs in California.

PHLBOS

Quote from: dgolub on March 30, 2016, 09:02:28 AM

With Delaware, will they be converting the kilometer-post system on DE 1 to use miles?
It's worth noting (and yes, this is a tad off-topic) but in DE 1's earliest days; the interchange numbers (those that existed back then) were indeed originally mile-marker-based; Exit 161 was originally Exit 100.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

AMLNet49

Quote from: NE2 on March 30, 2016, 11:09:13 AM
There are mileage based numbers at most of California's interstate interchanges. This at the same time that California does not keep track of mileage, so they are not official numbers, just estimates.

bob7374

The news report stated RIDOT hadn't yet supplied a list of the new exit numbers, but since the RIDOT website has a list of interstate exits that include the closest milepost, I don't think it would be too hard to come up with a probable list. So here's mine for I-95, I-195 and I-295 based on RIDOT's exit lists:

I-95
Exit 1 RI 3 stays Exit 1
Exit 2 Alton Rd becomes Exit 5
Exits 3A/B RI 138 become Exits 8A/B
Exit 4 RI 3 (NB) becomes Exit 10
Exits 5A/B RI 102 becomes Exits 14A/B
Exit 6 RI 3 becomes Exit 19
Exit 6A Hopkins Hill Rd becomes Exit 20
Exit 7 New London Turnpike becomes Exit 22
Exits 8A/B RI 2 become Exits 24A/B
Exit 9 RI 4 (SB) becomes Exit 25
Exits 10A/B RI 117 become Exits 27A/B
Exit 11 I-295 (NB) becomes Exit 28 as does Exit 12 (SB) RI 113 to I-295 North
Exit 13 for the TF Green Airport becomes Exit 30
Exit 14 RI 37 becomes Exit 31
Exit 15 Jefferson Blvd. becomes Exit 32
Exit 16 RI 10 becomes Exit 33
Exit 17 US 1/Elmwood Ave (SB) becomes Exit 34 (this is fudged both 16 and 17 are at Mile 34 according to RIDOT)
Exit 18 US 1A/Thurbers Ave. becomes Exit 35
Exit 19 I-195 East (NB) becomes Exit 36 as does Exit 10 Eddy St. (SB)
Exit 20 Point St (NB) and I-195 East (SB) become Exit 37A
Exit 21 Broadway/Atwells Ave becomes Exit 37B
Exit 23 RI 146 (NB) and RI 7 (SB) become Exit 38
Exit 24 Branch Ave. becomes Exit 39
Exit 25 US 1/RI 126 becomes Exit 40
Exit 26 RI 122 becomes Exit 41
Exit 27 George St becomes Exit 42 (42A NB)
Exit 28 RI 114 (NB) becomes Exit 42B
Exit 29 US 1/Broadway becomes Exit 43A
Exit 30 Roosevelt Ave. becomes Exit 43B

I-195
Exit 1A Point St (WB)stays Exit   1A
Exit 1B Eddy St., (WB) stays Exit 1B   
Exit 1 India St./Gano St. (EB) stays Exit 1   
Exit 2 South Main St.  (WB) becomes Exit   1C
Exit 3 Gano St., India Point (WB) becomes Exit   2A
Exit 4 U.S. Rte. 44/Taunton Ave. (EB) becomes Exit    2A
Exit 5 RI 103/Warren Ave. becomes Exit 2B
Exit 6 RI 103/Broadway, becomes Exit 3
Exit 7 RI 114 (EB) becomes Exit 4
Exit 8 US 6, US 1A, RI 114  (WB) becomes Exit 4

I-295
(I-95 not listed as an exit)
Exit 1 RI 113 becomes Exit 1A
Exit 2 RI 2 becomes Exit 1B
Exit 3 RI 37 (To RI  2) Stays Exit 3
Exit 4 RI 14 becomes Exit 5
Exit 5 Scituate Ave. becomes Exit 8
Exit 6 US 6 East becomes Exit 10A
Exit 6C US 6 West, US 6A East becomes Exit 10B
Exits 7A/B US 44 become Exits 13A/B
Exits 8A/B RI 7 become Exits 16A/B
Exits 9A/B RI 146 become Exits 19A/B
Exit 10 RI 122 becomes Exit 21
Exit 11 RI 114 becomes Exit 22

KEVIN_224

What happened to Exit 22 in your above I-95 exit list? (US 6 West/RI 10 South/Mall)

Rothman

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 30, 2016, 10:18:06 AM
So New York may be the "last man standing" when it comes to sequential exit numbering.

My gut reaction is that, despite glimpses to the contrary (every now and then, NY produces a policy document that mentions it, but nothing ever happens), NY will proudly be the last state standing in this regard for quite a while to come.

Then again, I wonder if the "We're the only stupid state out there that doesn't have them" argument would persuade anyone to spend the money and deal with the push-back from businesses (if any...this is what everyone puts out there as one of the boogeymen to keep the conversion from happening here, other than "we have more important things to spend our money on"...except NYSDOT has a hard time spending its HSIP money and MassDOT certainly used that for their project!).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Rothman on March 31, 2016, 09:35:12 AMThen again, I wonder if the "We're the only stupid state out there that doesn't have them" argument would persuade anyone to spend the money and deal with the push-back from businesses (if any...this is what everyone puts out there as one of the boogeymen to keep the conversion from happening here, other than "we have more important things to spend our money on"...except NYSDOT has a hard time spending its HSIP money and MassDOT certainly used that for their project!).
Many businesses went through a similar change issue when new area codes (mainly geographic splits) sprouted left and right during the 1980s & 90s.  Same old-same old IMHO.

On the surface, the biggest issue regarding the use of mile-marker based interchange numbers (with the Interstate route numbers given priority as opposed to a particular (toll) facility) is how would one number the interchanges along the NYS Thruway?  At present, the sequential interchange numbers and mile markers start near NYC.  While such is MUTCD compliant (pre-2009) along the I-87 stretch; it's the reverse/opposite along the I-90 stretch.  If the numbers along the facility take priority; the wrong-way numbering scenario would still exist along the I-90 portion of the Thruway.  OTOH, if the Interstate numbering takes precedence; the possibility of having duplicate sets of Exit(s) XX along the Thruway in the future is possible.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

spooky

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 31, 2016, 10:36:04 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 31, 2016, 09:35:12 AMThen again, I wonder if the "We're the only stupid state out there that doesn't have them" argument would persuade anyone to spend the money and deal with the push-back from businesses (if any...this is what everyone puts out there as one of the boogeymen to keep the conversion from happening here, other than "we have more important things to spend our money on"...except NYSDOT has a hard time spending its HSIP money and MassDOT certainly used that for their project!).
Many businesses went through a similar change issue when new area codes (mainly geographic splits) sprouted left and right during the 1980s & 90s.  Same old-same old IMHO.

On the surface, the biggest issue regarding the use of mile-marker based interchange numbers (with the Interstate route numbers given priority as opposed to a particular (toll) facility) is how would one number the interchanges along the NYS Thruway?  At present, the sequential interchange numbers and mile markers start near NYC.  While such is MUTCD compliant (pre-2009) along the I-87 stretch; it's the reverse/opposite along the I-90 stretch.  If the numbers along the facility take priority; the wrong-way numbering scenario would still exist along the I-90 portion of the Thruway.  OTOH, if the Interstate numbering takes precedence; the possibility of having duplicate sets of Exit(s) XX along the Thruway in the future is possible.

Don't mile markers and exit numbers reset on I-87 once you leave NYC and enter the Thruway proper? I believe I-87 has three different Mile 0 points along its length - one in NYC, one at the entrance to Westchester County, and one at the beginning of the Northway.

If NYSDOT were to adopt mileage-based exit numbering, IMHO they would maintain it along their current mile marker reference system.

vdeane

If NYSDOT was going to do that, we would have already done it by now.  The Thruway and NYC are basically the reasons why we haven't covered already.

There was a plan to convert a while ago that would have flipped the mileage on the Thruway and changed the free 90 and Northway mileage to have one set of exit numbers on I-90 and a continuous set on I-87 on the Deegan and Northway (with the Thruway's flipped numbers taking over on that section).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: spooky on March 31, 2016, 11:13:29 AM
Since this is a RI thread; I'll PM you my reply regarding NY's exit numbering.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.