Beaver State Blog: Ruthton Point Viaduct HCRH Segment

Started by JasonOfORoads, December 28, 2019, 11:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonOfORoads

Shellrock Mountain wasn't the only Historic Columbia River Highway segment I investigated in November. I just completed another blog entry about the second segment I visited: The Ruthton Point Viaduct segment near Hood River. Constructed in 1917-18, it too was bypassed by the construction of I-80N in the 1950s. However, this segment also has some more recent history to it, as well as some interesting features.

http://blog.beaverstateroads.net/2019/12/28/ruthton-point-viaduct-hcrh-segment/

I also took photos of this segment, so here's a sneak peek:

Let me know what you think.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Alps

I think I'd like to see more of this and I should have seen it in person. Also, the exit right there appears to be completely unsigned?

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Alps on December 28, 2019, 05:38:28 PM
I think I'd like to see more of this and I should have seen it in person. Also, the exit right there appears to be completely unsigned?

Completely unsigned. No BGSes, no gore signs, no nothing. The only indicator that it's there is an EXIT 25 MPH sign. It looks like a truck pull-out to the untrained eye. The unnumbered Service Rd. exit ½ mile down the freeway is better signed. AFAIK this might be the only fully unsigned Interstate exit remaining in the state.

ErmineNotyours

There's some question in the article about who owns what property there, but this makes things more clear: Hood River County Map Viewer.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 05, 2020, 06:04:28 PM
There's some question in the article about who owns what property there, but this makes things more clear: Hood River County Map Viewer.

Thank you. I'm going to update the entry with the new data, which will go in with some other info I need to add.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.