News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Question about the speed limit on a road I *may* travel on

Started by ChimpOnTheWheel, December 23, 2020, 08:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChimpOnTheWheel

So I'm trying to get more info on the route between Chicago to Austin. I see that there are two routes.

Route 1 is:

I-55 to St. Louis -> I-44 to Big Cabin (Oklahoma) -> US-69 to Denison (Texas) -> US-75 to DFW -> I-35 to Austin

The mileage on Route 1 is 1,111 miles from my house to Austin. Of course, I don't know the address I'd be going to in Austin, so this is not exact.
(And considering I-55 deals with St. Louis, I might tack on an extra 6 miles to bypass downtown traffic via I-255.)

Route 2 is:

I-57 to Sikeston (Missouri) -> I-55 to W. Memphis (Arkansas) -> I-40 to Little Rock -> I-30 to DFW -> I-35 to Austin

The mileage on Route 2 is 1,167 miles. Once again, I don't know the address I'd be going to.

I have a couple questions about Route 1. What is the general speed limit, excluding towns, on US-69 between Big Cabin and Denison? Is it 65 mph? 70? 75?

My guess is US-69 is 70 mph but *I'm not positive*, as my very few trips south or west involved me taking Route 2 up til Texarkana then US-59, or Route 1 up til Tulsa or OKC.

Can anyone give me any pointers on what I'd expect if I take Route 1, including the section between Big Cabin and Denison?

Appreciate any responses!
Just a casual.

davewiecking

Knowing nothing about this area, but being bored, I pulled up a few street views on Google and see lots of 65 mph signs along US 69 and 75 (with 45 mph passing thru towns). Google wants you to take I-57 to 55 to 40 to 30 to 35. Google knows all. Usually.

ChimpOnTheWheel

Quote from: davewiecking on December 23, 2020, 10:58:33 PM
Knowing nothing about this area, but being bored, I pulled up a few street views on Google and see lots of 65 mph signs along US 69 and 75 (with 45 mph passing thru towns). Google wants you to take I-57 to 55 to 40 to 30 to 35. Google knows all. Usually.
Ok, thank you for the information. I'll keep note of the information you've said for if/when we go to Austin this springtime/summertime.
Just a casual.

mrsman

Quote from: davewiecking on December 23, 2020, 10:58:33 PM

I would agree with this advice.  The first routing puts you through one extra large city (St Louis) and its traffic.  The second routing gets close to Memphis, but doesn't ever enter the city.   There really is no major traffic problem most of the time in West Memphis, AR and would generally be an easier routing for a Chicago-Dallas trip.

Scott5114

The canonical roadgeek solution would be to take one route on the way there and the other on the way back.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

I drove on US-69 about 6 years ago and I seem to remember it being 70 mph most of the way. I was on my way back up north from Austin and wanted to pass through Mickey Mantle's hometown so I took a detour that way.

US-69 is at least two lanes in each direction as a freeway or expressway through most of Oklahoma from what I can remember of it. In the towns it passes through it's usually a multi lane street.

Honestly if it was me I'd take your route 2. Take I-57 to Sikeston, then I-55 to I-40 west to Little Rock, then I-30 west to Dallas, then I-635 to I-35E to I-35 mainline to Austin. That's an easier route IMO. I think your route 1 will save you about 45 miles but take about 20 minutes longer to complete. I can sometimes make up time on a shorter route that would usually take longer in time.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 28, 2020, 05:33:06 AM
The canonical roadgeek solution would be to take one route on the way there and the other on the way back.

:thumbsup:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.