Wade Avenue history

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, January 10, 2021, 01:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

Does anybody know if there was ever a proposal to route I-40 along Wade Avenue in Raleigh? I know about half of it is a freeway, but it also treads close to Meredith College and several neighborhoods. I'd imagine if 40 was proposed along the Wade, it would have gotten about the same treatment as the Sam Cooper Blvd. arrangement of 40 through Memphis
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

dfilpus

Before I-40, a freeway named the Raleigh-Chapel Hill Expressway was built from the current I-440 interchange to NC-147 in RTP. In 1971, the segment from NC-147 to the current Wade Avenue/I-40 was designated I-40 while the current I-40 from Wade Avenue to the US-1 interchange was being built ( opened in 1983 or 1984 ). There is no evidence that the remaining segment of the Raleigh-Chapel Hill Expressway was ever designated as I-40.

wdcrft63

Quote from: dfilpus on January 10, 2021, 02:46:12 PM
Before I-40, a freeway named the Raleigh-Chapel Hill Expressway was built from the current I-440 interchange to NC-147 in RTP. In 1971, the segment from NC-147 to the current Wade Avenue/I-40 was designated I-40 while the current I-40 from Wade Avenue to the US-1 interchange was being built ( opened in 1983 or 1984 ). There is no evidence that the remaining segment of the Raleigh-Chapel Hill Expressway was ever designated as I-40.
In the 1970s there were I-40 signs along the freeway from the Raleigh Beltline (I-440 today) to the Durham Freeway (then unnumbered, now NC 147). That is, I can testify that the Wade Avenue freeway between the modern I-440 and the modern I-40 was indeed signed as I-40. 

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the Wade Avenue Freeway could have been Interstate 340, assuming the roadway was brought up to Interstate Standards.

tolbs17

This is some fictional talk I see here.

I was thinking the same thing. I-40 could have went in this path

http://prntscr.com/wl8sqz

Except for the hilly parts.

1995hoo

I remember back in the mid-1990s when people attending football games at Carter-Finley Stadium parked on the median of Wade Avenue. I recall doing so myself once. I don't remember whether they had cops stopping traffic to let people cross the road, though. Just too long ago to recall very well.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Evan_Th

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 11, 2021, 02:29:50 PM
This is some fictional talk I see here.

I was thinking the same thing. I-40 could have went in this path

http://prntscr.com/wl8sqz

Except for the hilly parts.
Would've needed a new freeway straight through downtown, though.  I don't think anyone was ever considering that, and it would've been a very bad thing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.