News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Scene from a train: Trenton, NJ bridge

Started by M3100, January 18, 2021, 10:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3100

This pic is from August 2017.  I've traveled this segment by rail several times; I have not been on the adjacent roadways.  This slogan sounds a bit resentful.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: M3100 on January 18, 2021, 10:27:40 PM
This pic is from August 2017.  I've traveled this segment by rail several times; I have not been on the adjacent roadways.  This slogan sounds a bit resentful.

Resentful?

The slogan represents Trenton's history of a manufacturing city.

M3100

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 18, 2021, 10:35:49 PM
Resentful?  The slogan represents Trenton's history of a manufacturing city.
I must be reading too many crime novels.  Takes = steals (as opposed to purchases).  That said - it is a unique landmark.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I believe the full slogan was (at one time), 'What Trenton Makes The World Takes.'
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 20, 2021, 01:37:01 PM
I believe the full slogan was (at one time), 'What Trenton Makes The World Takes.'

According to an NPR interview with the daughter of the man who came up with the slogan in 1910, it was originally "The world takes, Trenton makes".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KEVIN_224

You were on an Amtrak train, most likely. Also, the Delaware River looked pretty high for once.

M3100

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 02, 2021, 05:24:39 PM
You were on an Amtrak train, most likely. Also, the Delaware River looked pretty high for once.

Yep, on my way to Penn Station in Manhattan.  I've taken several pictures of that bridge over the years. 
And with 125 mph track speed in that area, I want to get back there again once it is safer to travel.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 02, 2021, 05:24:39 PM

If the pic was taken in an August, most likely there would have been a significant rain storm north of here, where the water drains down the hills and mountains into the river, which flows downstream to this point. It's not unusual to have some flooding on a sunny summer day on NJ 29 a few days after a lot of rain.

jp the roadgeek

Saw that once at night from a SEPTA train (then the R7) going from 30th St up to a friend's house near Princeton Junction (had to transfer to NJT in Trenton) when I was going to school in Philly.  It's lit up in red neon. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.