News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NY-27 Atlantic Expressway

Started by fmendes, March 09, 2021, 09:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmendes

Long island as we know lacks express truck routes and the some of the only being the LIE and sunrise and the amount of traffic on the LIE and SSP brings up the topic of the Atlantic Expressway which was to replace NY-27 as a 8-10 lane highway with service roads from the belt parkway all the way to NY-109 being that its almost 60 years later and better construction methods it could be built as a viaduct toll road to cover the cost of construction and the existing sunrise acting as the service road this project is similar to the Gateway Expressway project in Pinelles County FL... thoughts?
srry if this is run on

TravelingBethelite

I think you might be looking for the Fictional Highways board if you're talking about the extension across the sound.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

fmendes

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on March 09, 2021, 09:47:21 AM
I think you might be looking for the Fictional Highways board if you're talking about the extension across the sound.
no this does not have to do with the sound bridge as i think the sound bridge is ahead of its time and is not feasible in this day in age im talking about the http://www.nycroads.com/roads/sunrise/ as seen on unbuilt the atlantic expressway is what i am talking about

Pete from Boston

Where oh where does Interstate 91, a north-south road in New England, come into this?

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 09, 2021, 10:18:45 AM
Where oh where does Interstate 91, a north-south road in New England, come into this?
Yeah, I was like, "and what does I-91 have to do with this?" Unless OP is suggesting that I-91 be signed on NY 27 via a new LI Sound crossing, but that belongs in the fictional thread.

fmendes

wait im retarded i was thinking about a different road

Rothman

This entire thread should be called Hot Mess of the Day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

fmendes

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 09, 2021, 10:30:39 AM
Yeah, I was like, "and what does I-91 have to do with this?" Unless OP is suggesting that I-91 be signed on NY 27 via a new LI Sound crossing, but that belongs in the fictional thread.
im srry just disregard everything about interstate 91

fmendes

Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2021, 10:36:19 AM
This entire thread should be called Hot Mess of the Day.
:-D Sounds about right oof

Alps

The Sunrise ought to be a full freeway from the Clearview on out to the current freeway, which of course means the Clearview should also be extended down its original path. Long Island is a hot mess.

TheDon102

Could you make the Sunrise Highway a Jersey Freeway?

fmendes

Quote from: TheDon102 on March 10, 2021, 01:22:32 AM
that is possible i mean it could be setup kind of like how u get off of sunrise at Carleton Ave u could construct Grade seperations at
Green acres mall
Central Ave
Peninsula Boulevard
keep the existing merrick road interhchange
long beach road
Grand ave
Brookside ave
henry st
Babylon Tpke
Newbridge Rd
Centre ave
bellmore rd
Wantagh Ave
Jackson Ave
NY-107& broadway
and sunrise mall ETC
pretty much major intersections

TheDon102

Quote from: fmendes on March 10, 2021, 08:08:31 AM
that is possible i mean it could be setup kind of like how u get off of sunrise at Carleton Ave u could construct Grade seperations at
Green acres mall
Central Ave
Peninsula Boulevard
long beach road
Grand ave
Brookside ave
henry st
Babylon Tpke
Newbridge Rd
Centre ave
bellmore rd
Wantagh Ave
Jackson Ave
NY-107& broadway
and sunrise mall ETC

This is leaning into fictional territory but I'll state this anyway. Constructing an entirely new freeway on the NY-27 corridor is not happening in today's environment, you will destroy south shore towns and the ROW would be astronomically higher than it was in 1970. However, a jersey freeway which would still take significant ROW acquisition mind you, would provide a more freeway like road, which would significantly improve congestion on the south shore all the while providing trucks with a real alternative to the LIE.

Here's the ideal scenario for Long Island

Build the Nassau Expressway. (ROW is available)
Tunnel the Clearview to the Nassau Expressway to provide access to JFK and Sunrise Highway. (Some ROW acquistantion required) 
Turn the Sunrise Highway into a Jersey Freeway until Suffolk County (when it becomes a freeway)

Alps

Quote from: TheDon102 on March 10, 2021, 02:32:40 PM
Green acres mall
Central Ave
Peninsula Boulevard
long beach road
Grand ave
Brookside ave
henry st
Babylon Tpke
Newbridge Rd
Centre ave
bellmore rd
Wantagh Ave
Jackson Ave
NY-107& broadway
and sunrise mall ETC

This is leaning into fictional territory but I'll state this anyway. Constructing an entirely new freeway on the NY-27 corridor is not happening in today's environment, you will destroy south shore towns and the ROW would be astronomically higher than it was in 1970. However, a jersey freeway which would still take significant ROW acquisition mind you, would provide a more freeway like road, which would significantly improve congestion on the south shore all the while providing trucks with a real alternative to the LIE.

Tunnel the Clearview to the Nassau Expressway to provide access to JFK and Sunrise Highway. (Some ROW acquistantion required) 
Turn the Sunrise Highway into a Jersey Freeway until Suffolk County (when it becomes a freeway)

It would still be astronomical because each grade separation costs tens of millions. How many you want?

fmendes

Quote from: Alps on March 10, 2021, 06:34:37 PM
Quote from: TheDon102 on March 10, 2021, 02:32:40 PM
Green acres mall
Central Ave
Peninsula Boulevard
long beach road
Grand ave
Brookside ave
henry st
Babylon Tpke
Newbridge Rd
Centre ave
bellmore rd
Wantagh Ave
Jackson Ave
NY-107& broadway
and sunrise mall ETC

It would still be astronomical because each grade separation costs tens of millions. How many you want?
either that or create the jug handles like the one at NY-347&NY-111

roadman65

I think he means the arterial section of NY 27 from the Belt Parkway to NY 109 along the Sunrise Highway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

fmendes

Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2021, 10:46:48 AM
I think he means the arterial section of NY 27 from the Belt Parkway to NY 109 along the Sunrise Highway.
are u talking about me or no if so that's what i was talking about

TheDon102

Quote from: Alps on March 10, 2021, 06:34:37 PM

Since were talking about a 20 mile stretch of the NY-27, which mind you already has grade separated interchanges at parkways and expressways, constructing around 10 additional grade separations seems about right, mainly to give access to South Shore towns and major arterial roads.

For example, NJ-17 works rather well, and its interchanges are spaced out.

hotdogPi

fmendes, meet A00234826. You're like twins, except he/she focuses on I-495 in Massachusetts instead of in New York.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Mike2357

Yes, the entire length of 27 should be limited access, including extending it east to montauk point, plenty of room for an elevated expressway. If it connected to the Williamsburg bridge on the western end, it could be designated I-78, if the extensions of I 78 across lower Manhattan and brooklyn/queens were built as well.
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

02 Park Ave

A reversible Super 2 from the end of the Sunrise Highway through through the Hamptons and out to Heather Hills State Park would do much to alleviate weekend traffic problems.  It could be eastbound only on Fridays and westbound only on Sundays with it being two-ways on other days. Its RoW requirements would be minimum.
C-o-H

TheDon102

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 12, 2021, 10:54:34 PM
Yes, the entire length of 27 should be limited access, including extending it east to montauk point, plenty of room for an elevated expressway. If it connected to the Williamsburg bridge on the western end, it could be designated I-78, if the extensions of I 78 across lower Manhattan and brooklyn/queens were built as well.

LMAOOOOO!!!!

Mike2357

Quote from: TheDon102 on August 13, 2021, 04:29:42 PM

LMAOOOOO!!!!

I-78 should not just end at the Holland tunnel. It should be extended over little Italy and soho via a 10 lane elevated expressway and go over either the Williamsburg or manhattan bridge, then straddle the Brooklyn Queens Border, before continuing along the belt parkway in queens and the entire length of route 27. The Holland tunnel should also be 5 lanes in each direction.

Mike2357

Quote from: fmendes on March 09, 2021, 09:42:57 AM
Long island as we know lacks express truck routes and the some of the only being the LIE and sunrise and the amount of traffic on the LIE and SSP brings up the topic of the Atlantic Expressway which was to replace NY-27 as a 8-10 lane highway with service roads from the belt parkway all the way to NY-109 being that its almost 60 years later and better construction methods it could be built as a viaduct toll road to cover the cost of construction and the existing sunrise acting as the service road this project is similar to the Gateway Expressway project in Pinelles County FL... thoughts?
srry if this is run on

Oh and the southern state parkway is literally USELESS. It would function better as a wide and straight avenue than its flip-your-car-over curves and gridlock every day. The LIE on the other hand, is a revolutionary road where road rage ends and the thrill of driving begins.

TheDon102

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 04:35:18 PM
Quote from: TheDon102 on August 13, 2021, 04:29:42 PM

LMAOOOOO!!!!

I-78 should not just end at the Holland tunnel. It should be extended over little Italy and soho via a 10 lane elevated expressway and go over either the Williamsburg or manhattan bridge, then straddle the Brooklyn Queens Border, before continuing along the belt parkway in queens and the entire length of route 27. The Holland tunnel should also be 5 lanes in each direction.

It was possible in the 1950s and 1960s, not now. Never in a million years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.