News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

RIP Meatloaf

Started by kevinb1994, January 21, 2022, 07:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

The singer, not the food!

Anyway, he died at 74.

Henry

I remember when my dad bought the Bat Out of Hell record back in '77 and played it nonstop. Along with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, that was one of the many great albums that defined 70s rock.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kevinb1994

Quote from: Henry on January 21, 2022, 12:52:13 PM
I remember when my dad bought the Bat Out of Hell record back in '77 and played it nonstop. Along with Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, that was one of the many great albums that defined 70s rock.
And there's the fact that Todd Rundgren produced it.

tolbs17

Did see that. A shame that he died.

michravera

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 21, 2022, 07:21:44 AM
The singer, not the food!

Anyway, he died at 74.

So, if I need a singer-actor to play the character loosely based upon me in the musical that I'm writing (that's not a joke), it looks like I'll have to turn to Donny Osmond (a bit of a joke).

It takes me just a bit over 10 minutes to get home. "Bat out of Hell" will be on my player most of the way home tonight.

JayhawkCO

Apparently if John Belushi didn't accept the role for Bluto in Animal House, Meat Loaf was their second choice.  Interesting...

hbelkins

Little-known fact: vocalist/rhythm guitarist Derek St. Holmes quit Ted Nugent's band briefly during the recording of the classic "Free-For-All" album. Uncle Ted sang the title track and St. Holmes sang three songs ("Dog Eat Dog," "Turn It Up," and "Light My Way.") They needed a singer for five other songs, and guess who it was?

Meat Loaf.

He sang one of my all-time favorite Nugent songs, "I Love You So I Told You A Lie," along with "Together," "Street Rats," "Writing On The Wall," and "Hammerdown," the latter of which he performed in his solo concerts.

When "Bat Out Of Hell" came out in 1977 and made it big, I knew I'd heard the voice somewhere before. Turns out I had. The second solo Ted Nugent album after the Amboy Dukes disbanded.

I never owned "Bat Out Of Hell" but I've definitely heard most of the songs on it over the years, but my overriding memory of Mr. Aday is his performance on one of the seminal albums of my youth.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

People can't handle that kind of ambiguity today with a bunch of different singers in the same band. I don't feel like Pop (in this case Pop includes all kinds of rock, R&B and rap music, even Slayer, in the Pop Festival sense) would allow bands to switch lead singers all the time like the Beatles, KISS, The Cars, The Eagles and others did and still be allowed to be big. They'd be like (angry face) "I want the same person singing all the time or else I can't tell it's them. Grrr!" Could Boy Bands even happen today because of this "rule"?

Maybe Kings of Leon would be allowed to get away with it.

snowc

Scott5114

Quote from: snowc on January 22, 2022, 05:12:28 PM
:colorful:

This seems like a really odd response to someone dying, especially someone you liked. Most humans associate a smile with happiness.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

I assume most of you at least know of the Weber brand of grills.

Every Friday, they send out the "recipe of the week." Yesterday morning's was...

Grilled meatloaf. D'oh. Of course it was a very unfortunate coincidence. Didn't stop people from going ballistic on Twitter to the point where they sent out another e-mail apologizing. I have a feeling Meat Loaf himself would have found it extremely funny.

(Tomorrow's Washington Post crossword has an answer that works out to "Patooties." Another bizarre coincidence. I sent a tweet to the crossword author saying "Bless my soul!" I think he had to look up the reference because he said he's never seen the movie.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 21, 2022, 10:02:22 PM
People can't handle that kind of ambiguity today with a bunch of different singers in the same band. I don't feel like Pop (in this case Pop includes all kinds of rock, R&B and rap music, even Slayer, in the Pop Festival sense) would allow bands to switch lead singers all the time like the Beatles, KISS, The Cars, The Eagles and others did and still be allowed to be big. They'd be like (angry face) "I want the same person singing all the time or else I can't tell it's them. Grrr!" Could Boy Bands even happen today because of this "rule"?

I think we have a thread somewhere about bands with multiple vocalists. I know I started one about bands with infrequent singers (like Joe Perry singing a few songs for Aerosmith.)

Chicago had three lead vocalists in their first incarnation -- Robert Lamm, Peter Cetera, and the late Terry Kath. After Kath's death, replacement guitarist Donnie Dacus was also a singer. After Dacus was booted, Bill Champlin was brought on as a vocalist/secondary keyboardist. After Cetera's departure, Jason Scheff was his replacement on both bass and vocals. So Chicago's hit-making years, in all incarnations, were with three distinct voices.

From what I heard about the Weber grill saga, the consensus was that people can't believe society has come to the point where they had to apologize for it. I've seen the same thing happen with other unrelated events. Most of those types of emails are written well in advance and scheduled to be sent by some automated system.

skluth

Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2022, 06:57:29 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on January 21, 2022, 10:02:22 PM

I think we have a thread somewhere about bands with multiple vocalists. I know I started one about bands with infrequent singers (like Joe Perry singing a few songs for Aerosmith.)

Chicago had three lead vocalists in their first incarnation -- Robert Lamm, Peter Cetera, and the late Terry Kath. After Kath's death, replacement guitarist Donnie Dacus was also a singer. After Dacus was booted, Bill Champlin was brought on as a vocalist/secondary keyboardist. After Cetera's departure, Jason Scheff was his replacement on both bass and vocals. So Chicago's hit-making years, in all incarnations, were with three distinct voices.
I more remember Meat Loaf for the Rocky Horror Show than his music career because he was on the original stage show album. I enjoyed his music at first but especially Paradise by the Dashboard Light was played to death.

The Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, and Fleetwood Mac are the bands I think of for multiple lead vocals. It almost seems everyone who's ever been in Fleetwood Mac except the eponymous founders has been a singer for the band.

I think the most interesting vocal option is when bands bring in a vocalist just for one song. Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar is my favorite.

SSOWorld

QuoteI understand. In death, a member of Project Mayhem has a name. His name is Robert Paulson.

--Fight Club
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: skluth on January 22, 2022, 07:25:21 PM
I think the most interesting vocal option is when bands bring in a vocalist just for one song. Pink Floyd's Have a Cigar is my favorite.

Ozzy has been a frequent guest vocalist for a lot of performers and bands. Gary Moore's "Led Clones" and the "Close My Eyes Forever" duet with Lita Ford are the two I think of first.

Also Geddy Lee in Max Webster's "Battle Scar." And of course, in a song that frequently comes up in topics here, Sting in "Money For Nothing."

abefroman329

The one that blows my mind is David Crosby singing backup vocals on Hold My Hand by Hootie and the Blowfish.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 24, 2022, 09:28:18 AM
The one that blows my mind is David Crosby singing backup vocals on Hold My Hand by Hootie and the Blowfish.
There's also both Sting and Peter Gabriel doing backing vocals for Phil Collins' Take Me Home.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on January 24, 2022, 12:13:28 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 24, 2022, 09:28:18 AM
There's also both Sting and Peter Gabriel doing backing vocals for Phil Collins' Take Me Home.

Can't think of the song or the artist, but there was a tune from the late 80s or early 90s that made reference to Gabriel blowing his horn, or something similar, then immediately Peter Gabriel's voice is heard. I remember it because a co-worker of mine noticed it first and mentioned it. It may have been a Sting song.

ErmineNotyours

To bring it back on topic, Cher sang with Meatloaf on "Dead Ringer For Love," and surprisingly she sang with Spinal Tap.

roadman65

The girl who appeared in Night Court Season 2 as Pubic Defender Billie, sang on Paradise By The Dashboard Light. Ellen Foley who departed before the season ended to be replaced by Markie Post, the following season, played the female role in the second part of that three song suite.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.