News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A Lesser-Used Vehicle Feature or Option You Most Cannot Live Without?

Started by thenetwork, April 05, 2022, 10:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 07, 2022, 02:36:49 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 07, 2022, 12:12:36 PM
Nah.  I don't like looking down away from the road.

That's going to happen regardless of whether you use a mounted phone or CarPlay. Unless maybe you have one of those fancy head-up projector displays, but that's still a relatively rare feature in cars today.

This is AARoads, so "just memorize your itinerary, you dingaling" is considered a valid option.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 07, 2022, 04:13:24 PM

That's going to happen regardless of whether you use a mounted phone or CarPlay. Unless maybe you have one of those fancy head-up projector displays, but that's still a relatively rare feature in cars today.

This is AARoads, so "just memorize your itinerary, you dingaling" is considered a valid option.

Sigh.  I love driving (under good conditions) but any attempt to memorize a complicated itinerary on my part is going to be doomed to failure.  I sketch my own map to take with me, but more than 3 or 4 turns and I have to pull over and refresh my memory.

JayhawkCO

How about one that hasn't been mentioned: the USB ports or at minimum cigarette lighter stay functional without the car running. Cars where you can't charge a phone with the car not running just infuriate me.

kphoger

If it's just me and the boys on a camping trip, then I do indeed memorize the route.  But, if my wife is with me, I just tell her to whip out her smartphone and give me directions if I've forgotten.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

When my pastor and I flew into Monterrey two weeks ago, we were picked up at the airport by my best friend and his pastor.  None of us had ever driven in Monterrey proper before, and I had planned lunch at a restaurant in Barrio Antiguo (Monterrey's Old Town).  My friend had his GPS device mounted to the windshield, but I just gave him turn-by-turn directions along the way instead.  Sometimes my directions contradicted what GPS wanted him to do.  At one point, he turned to his pastor and said Confío en él más que en el Garmin.   :)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on April 07, 2022, 04:17:54 PM

Sigh.  I love driving (under good conditions) but any attempt to memorize a complicated itinerary on my part is going to be doomed to failure.  I sketch my own map to take with me, but more than 3 or 4 turns and I have to pull over and refresh my memory.

With me, it really depends on where it is. I know the highway system of Oklahoma well enough I can remember a route across the state, even with a lot of turns, because I already know where most of the numbers are. When I go out of state, though, I will usually jot down the itinerary on a piece of paper. For example, my itinerary for my trip to the Natchez meet said something like "1. Go to Louisiana. 2. I-49 south to I-220..." If anyone else had to follow it, they'd feel like they were doing a technical in Great British Bakeoff.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 07, 2022, 04:23:20 PM
How about one that hasn't been mentioned: the USB ports or at minimum cigarette lighter stay functional without the car running. Cars where you can't charge a phone with the car not running just infuriate me.

I have seen some vehicles that can be either/or as far as charging while the ignition is off.  All you do (per the manual) is to add or switch a fuse in the fuse box. 

I thought I remember having a vehicle having an either/or daytime running light option using the fuse box method as well.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 07, 2022, 04:38:13 PM
With me, it really depends on where it is. I know the highway system of Oklahoma well enough I can remember a route across the state, even with a lot of turns, because I already know where most of the numbers are. When I go out of state, though, I will usually jot down the itinerary on a piece of paper. For example, my itinerary for my trip to the Natchez meet said something like "1. Go to Louisiana. 2. I-49 south to I-220..." If anyone else had to follow it, they'd feel like they were doing a technical in Great British Bakeoff.

Heh, during my second or third year at UVA, long prior to the sat-nav or online mapping era, I gave someone directions to my apartment from Northern Virginia by saying, "Take Route 29 south to Charlottesville, bear left at the triangular intersection, and take the first right after the big parking lot, then it's the last building on the right." He had no problem finding it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

USB port and on-board software that can read the thing properly. Quite a few late 2010s cars I've tried have had trouble with music nested into folders three levels deep while my 2011 SUV can do it just fine.

Rothman

Not with the dash mount I use.  Keeps my phone's screen up and the screen is small enough not to block my view yet large enough to be legible.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.