News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signal Numbers for Reference

Started by roadman65, April 20, 2022, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that along US 441 in Pigeon Forge, TN as well as Gatlinburg, TN, the two communities use signal numbers to identify locations of businesses near the signal or for giving directions to turn off US 441 at a specific signal.  The signals are numbered sequentially and therefore allows for one to home in on a specific signal number by simple math.  Almost like Exit numbers for the ramps on freeways but actual signalized intersections with numbers both communities use for tourists and locals alike.

I also noticed that a recent visit to Moss Point, MS showed me that its not only limited to Tennessee for this unusual practice.  Signals along US 90 also are also numbered in purple circles on the traffic signal mast arms all along the route (well at least from MS 603 to the Lowes Store) this past week.

Is this practice done in any other cities in the US?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wriddle082

Hendersonville, TN also does this along US 31E.  Likely copied from Gatlinburg.  I want to say other TN cities do this but I can't immediately think of any.  Possibly Oak Ridge.

paulthemapguy

Does anyone have pictures? Not that it was ever an expectation, but it would be cool to see.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

fillup420

The only time I've seen this was driving through Somerset, KY on US 27. I found it to be quite handy for counting down the signals until I made it through the town

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2022, 12:42:13 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 20, 2022, 08:17:04 PM
Does anyone have pictures? Not that it was ever an expectation, but it would be cool to see.

Of the locations mentioned so far in the thread:

Sevierville, TN – Signal # 15.8
Gatlinburg, TN – Signals # 5, 6
Hendersonville, TN – Signal # 6
Oak Ridge, TN – Signal # 9
Pascagoula, MS – Signal # 73
Somerset, KY – Signal # 9

The Kentucky example seems to be the best. The others are too concerned with being pretty to be useful for navigation.

Imagine if highway exit tabs were designed by municipalities. No thanks.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

formulanone

They seem to be more commonly found in Tennessee and Kentucky, and a few places in the South where there are a lot of visitors.

Here's one in Orange Beach, Alabama (I don't think I've seen them elsewhere in Alabama):

AL-182 West - Signal 13 by Zach, on Flickr

Scott5114

The obvious problem with this is that it only works well when there's one main drag through town with multiple stoplights. Otherwise, you end up in a situation where Signal 13 on one road is Signal 7 on the other, or else the signal numbering jumps around as streets intersect more major ones, and then the easy reference system falls apart.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 22, 2022, 12:48:38 PM
The Kentucky example seems to be the best. The others are too concerned with being pretty to be useful for navigation.

The problem with the Kentucky example is that it is far more prominent than the actual street name, which is only shown on a ground-level blade. If I were passing through town and my itinerary told me to turn on Salee Street, I might well miss my turn because I interpreted the big green square 9 as meaning that this was 9th Street or county highway 9 or something similar to that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rlb2024

The ones on US 90 in Mississippi run the entire length of the route (and from the Louisiana line to the Alabama border), all the way from Waveland to Pascagoula.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2022, 07:21:36 PM
The obvious problem with this is that it only works well when there's one main drag through town with multiple stoplights. Otherwise, you end up in a situation where Signal 13 on one road is Signal 7 on the other, or else the signal numbering jumps around as streets intersect more major ones, and then the easy reference system falls apart.

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 22, 2022, 12:48:38 PM

The problem with the Kentucky example is that it is far more prominent than the actual street name, which is only shown on a ground-level blade. If I were passing through town and my itinerary told me to turn on Salee Street, I might well miss my turn because I interpreted the big green square 9 as meaning that this was 9th Street or county highway 9 or something similar to that.

Ideally, you would have both a street name and a number. And yes, this method would only make sense in areas where there is only one main road with signals. Think Hilton Head Island or the Outer Banks.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.