News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oregon 208?

Started by OCGuy81, October 21, 2011, 10:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

I was looking through my 2011 Rand McNally Road Atlas and the inset of the Portland area shows Canyon Road at OR-217 as 208.  I thought Canyon Road was OR-8.  Is this some state internal numbering similar to how 400 numbers show up on Google maps of Georgia highways?

Perhaps just a misprint, but I swear I've seen it when using Yelp (and google maps) to find Portland restaurants in the past, though it seems to ahve been corrected.

Anyway, just an oddity.  Is 208 legit?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on October 21, 2011, 10:27:55 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/or3/oroads/roads/or208/index.html
First Google result for "oregon route 208".

cool site!  I really wish they didn't use this garish shield layout, though, which seems to have taken over the internet like some kind of plague.

http://www.angelfire.com/or3/oroads/icons/us28.gif

I'd like to find the person who decided this layout was in any way accurate ... and do a terrible thing to their spine which may or may not involve defecation.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

andytom

Quote from: OCGuy81 on October 21, 2011, 10:07:14 AM
I was looking through my 2011 Rand McNally Road Atlas and the inset of the Portland area shows Canyon Road at OR-217 as 208.  I thought Canyon Road was OR-8.  Is this some state internal numbering similar to how 400 numbers show up on Google maps of Georgia highways?

Perhaps just a misprint, but I swear I've seen it when using Yelp (and google maps) to find Portland restaurants in the past, though it seems to ahve been corrected.

Anyway, just an oddity.  Is 208 legit?

I looked on the 2012 RMcN and it's still there on Farmington Rd (OR-10).  From the reference from NE2, it appears to be a decomissioned route number covering Farmington Rd/Hwy from OR-219 to Hall Blvd and Hall Blvd up to Canyon Rd.  Looks like a historical error added when they expanded the inset to cover more of the west side.

xonhulu

I was looking through my 2011 Rand McNally Road Atlas and the inset of the Portland area shows Canyon Road at OR-217 as 208.  I thought Canyon Road was OR-8.  Is this some state internal numbering similar to how 400 numbers show up on Google maps of Georgia highways?

Anyway, just an oddity.  Is 208 legit?

No, OR 208 hasn't existed since 1982.  Here's the ORoads page explaining its history:

(Note added later: sorry, NE2, didn't notice you'd already posted this link!)

Andy probably is right: it's an historical error that popped up when they redid that inset map.

OCGuy81

Good information.  Thanks everyone!

sp_redelectric

I was looking through my 2011 Rand McNally Road Atlas and the inset of the Portland area shows Canyon Road at OR-217 as 208.  I thought Canyon Road was OR-8.  Is this some state internal numbering similar to how 400 numbers show up on Google maps of Georgia highways?

It's a bit more common to see an ODOT internal highway number used externally (now it's legit since ODOT has made those numbers external in many cases)...but the highway number for Canyon Road/Oregon route 8 is Highway 29.  Oregon route 10 (Farmington Road) west of Beaverton (what's left of the state jurisdiction, which is just a few islands of road) is Highway 142; Oregon 10 east of Beaverton (Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway) is Highway 40 (note that to this day, Oregon 10 is still two separate highways west and east of Beaverton); Oregon 217 is Highway 144 (note it is considered a secondary highway yet it is a freeway!)  And Oregon 210, or rather the little island of ODOT jurisdiction between Hall Boulevard and the P&W railroad track, is Highway 143.  Hall Boulevard from the P&W tracks near 217 south to Durham Road in Tigard is Highway 141.

So, referring to Highway 208 for Canyon Road is not only not legit but not even close...since 208 was west and not east of Beaverton, was Farmington Road (not Canyon Road)...and as mentioned, retired in the early 1980s - 30 years ago.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 21, 2011, 11:58:42 AM
Quote from: NE2 on October 21, 2011, 10:27:55 AM
First Google result for "oregon route 208".

cool site!  I really wish they didn't use this garish shield layout, though, which seems to have taken over the internet like some kind of plague.

http://www.angelfire.com/or3/oroads/icons/us28.gif

I'd like to find the person who decided this layout was in any way accurate ... and do a terrible thing to their spine which may or may not involve defecation.

Howdy.  I'm Jason, the person who built that site oh so long ago, including making those graphics.  I also haven't touched the site in... maybe 5 years or so, despite Angelfire's insistence on mucking with the last modified date.

I based the layout on the shield on the far left of this graphic.  At the time, I was using the 1920s era fonts to denote highways decommissioned pre-Interstate era simply as a stylistic decision, not for accuracy.  Blame that on me not knowing as much back in '02, which I was a fresh-faced college freshman with a constant fast internet connection for the first time and no desire to get sh*tfaced every weekend.  This was also one of the first pages I created with the "new" layout of the site, which is still around 10 years old to date.  I don't think I've touched anything on the page directly in at least 8 years.

I'm impressed that ORoads is still getting a mention these days.  Life -- and moving to Reno, Nevada -- have gotten in the way of actually having time to do anything with the site.  Also, a hard drive crash killed all the data I'd collected, including documents, emails, graphics, and (saddest of all) the many photos I'd taken throughout the years.  Plus, I've forgotten the password, and the email address used to register it is long gone.  I still pop over to sites every now and then, helping out little by little.  Dan Faigan has a photo I snapped a few years ago of an old-school California Interstate milepost on this page.  This one was on I-80 east about a mile from the Nevada border, but (like the photo) is gone, due to a freeway widening project.  However, I discovered a second one a couple years ago on I-80 west between Auburn and Roseville.  You can see it in this Google StreetView image.  It still exists as of October 19th, 2012, the last time I traveled that highway, but it very well could be the last one that exists anywhere in the state.

I'll probably show up every now and then to comment on matters of Oregon or Washington state highway history, but I think for the near future, ORoads will just be left to gather dust.  Maybe someday I can start the process of gathering everything again and beginning anew with a better domain name and host.

So farewell for now.  Oh, and please be gentle to my spine... I need that to live :cool:
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on October 22, 2012, 06:33:10 PM
Oh, and please be gentle to my spine... I need that to live :cool:

Awww, don't you feel bad now, Jake?

xonhulu

I'm impressed that ORoads is still getting a mention these days.

Well, Jason, nobody else really has a site dedicated to Oregon highways, so we have to cling to what little we have!  After ORoads and Mike Wiley's long-defunct site, there isn't a lot of Oregon highway coverage on the web.  AARoads has some good stuff, but nowhere close to statewide coverage.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had time to update ORoads over the years.  I really liked the guides to historical routings of the highways, and was looking forward to you tackling the considerable number of old alignments of US 30.  But I understand the lack of time to work on a webpage; I wouldn't have time to devote to one, either.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: xonhulu on October 23, 2012, 01:40:49 AM
I'm impressed that ORoads is still getting a mention these days.

Well, Jason, nobody else really has a site dedicated to Oregon highways, so we have to cling to what little we have!  After ORoads and Mike Wiley's long-defunct site, there isn't a lot of Oregon highway coverage on the web.  AARoads has some good stuff, but nowhere close to statewide coverage.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had time to update ORoads over the years.  I really liked the guides to historical routings of the highways, and was looking forward to you tackling the considerable number of old alignments of US 30.  But I understand the lack of time to work on a webpage; I wouldn't have time to devote to one, either.

I understand that.  I really wish I had the time to get back to something like this, but given the amount of legwork I'd have to do to get all my documentation back up to snuff, and the fact that I'm not living in-state anymore, it's not likely to be for a long while.  Also, as I mentioned, my poor hard drive crash and lost passwords prevent me from continuing the work I was doing.  Stupid me for not backing up to multiple places :banghead:

I did start a US-30 page at some point.  Though it's not on Angelfire (which means it was wiped with my other stuff), a portion lives through my (now outdated) HCRH page.  It mentions the various internal numbers the HCRH was split into before being re-combined into Highway #100 and eventually signed as Historic US-30 in 2011 (I think).  Though I'm happy the highway is now signed, I was really proud of my shield design idea:

A man can dream...

Also of interest might be my Alternate US-30 page.  This is one of the last pages I worked on, on the site because the Route Evolution maps still work.  Other pages reference an Angelfire site that I was using solely for map storage, before it got yanked for violating their ToS.  I guess they saw through my ruse to get more than 20 MB or whatever the limit is :-P
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.