Largest US city/metro area you have not been in

Started by hotdogPi, May 26, 2017, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Inspired by this post from 2013 (about where the worst drivers are):

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 30, 2013, 12:46:41 PM
Miami.  I have driven in every major US metropolitan area larger than, oh approximately Branson, Missouri.  so I think I have a good scientific basis for this opinion... and, trust me, folks, it's Miami.

For both city proper and metro area, I have set foot in New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago, but I have never entered Texas at all (even passing through), so under any definition of "entering", the largest city and largest metro area I have not been in are Dallas-Fort Worth for metro area and Houston for city proper (both ranking 4th).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

silverback1065

Any place in Texas, NYC, Seattle, Portland and a few more. Hope to change all that in the coming yrs.

Nexus 6P

formulanone

I was thinking about starting a thread like this. There's 382 MSAs in the USA (a few more if Puerto Rico becomes a state).

I've been to the 47 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas. Largest ones I haven't been to:

48. Salt Lake City (airport connections only)
50. Buffalo
51. Rochester
53. Tuscon
54. Honolulu
56. Fresno

Edit: took care of the first two in 2018.

I can say I've spent at least 5+ days in each one of the top 30 (the exception being only three days in Las Vegas).

Max Rockatansky

In the lower 48 States that would be Omaha.

Rothman

I believe we have a thread like this one somewhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Eth

I don't have to go far down the list - the winner is Chicago. My top five:

#3 Chicago
(#4 DFW - airport connections only)
(#5 Houston - airport connections only)
#11 San Francisco
#12 Phoenix
#13 Riverside
#14 Detroit

Smallest MSA I have visited: #365 Parkersburg (on account of having family in Vienna).

formulanone

Quote from: Eth on May 26, 2017, 11:25:55 AM
Smallest MSA I have visited: #365 Parkersburg (on account of having family in Vienna).

#364 Pine Bluff, Arkansas is the smallest that I've spent a over a week for work in; there's a few like Walla Walla or Lewsiton that I just drove through once or twice.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

7/8

I've never been to the NYC metro area :colorful:. It's not even that far away, but my family hasn't gotten around to visiting the big apple.

jwolfer

For me it is Los Angeles... I grew up in NJ near NYC and Philadelphia...

LGMS428

SP Cook

Metropolitan area:
Dallas-Ft. Worth (airport connections only)
San Antonio (not at all)

City proper:
Phoenix (airport connections only)
San Antonio (not at all)

Jim

I keep a list of this kind of info (http://www.teresco.org/pics/metroareas.txt), but it doesn't match this one exactly and is only top 75.  Admittedly, I haven't spent significant time in or even necessarily stopped in each that I count as "visited" but at least I've been through on the ground.  I have the top 51, and of the top 100, I'm missing only 5:

#52 Grand Rapids, MI
#56 Fresno, CA
#62 Bakersfield, CA (looks like I need to drive CA 99)
#66 McAllen, TX
#77 Stockton, CA (yep, need CA 99)

Maybe I can take an hour this weekend and expand my list to all 382 MSAs.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

JJBers

Largest metro I've not been in: #2; LA
Smallest metro I've been in: #308; Pittsfield, MA
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

hbelkins

Being that I've never been to California, take a guess.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ukfan758

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Miami, Boston.

kkt

I've only been to Dallas-Ft. Worth to change planes.
And I haven't been to Houston at all.

pianocello

Largest I haven't been to: NYC. In fact, the only ones in the top 10 I've been to are Chicago and Washington.

Smallest I have been to: Danville, IL, driving through on I-74
Smallest I've spent a considerable amount of time in: Dubuque, IA
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Desert Man

New York City - I never traveled to the US East coast. I have visited L.A. the 2nd largest metro area in the US. And managed to visit all of CA's 6 largest cities: San Diego, San Jose, San Francisco, Sacramento and Fresno. Also I been to all of CA's cities over 300,000 people: Long Beach, Oakland, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Bakersfield, Stockton and Riverside (not far from Palm Springs area).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Mapmikey

Largest ones I haven't been to in the top 100:

14. Detroit
35. San Jose (maybe)
52. Grand rapids
54. Honolulu
55. Tulsa
56. Fresno
62. Bakersfield
66. McAllen
67. Oxnard
77. Stockton
79. Colorado Springs
87. Wichita

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

nexus73

NYC for me.  Heck, I've never even been close to the BosWash Corridor!  Back in 1st grade a female classmate whose father was a doctor took their family to the Big Apple.  I was so jealous of her luck!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

AsphaltPlanet

For me, from the top 100 US MSA's, it's:

#30 Kansas City,
#46 New Orleans
#55 Tulsa
#49 Omaha
#66 McAllen, TX
#70 Baton Rouge
#74 Charlston, SC
#76 Little Rock
#78 Fort Meyers, FL
#79 Colorado Springs
#89 Witcheta, KS
#89 Des Moines, IA
#90 Springfield, MA
#93 Augusta, GA
#95 Melbourne, FL
#98 Spokane
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

catsynth

I will haven't done Chicago any sort of justice, so that would be #1.  Then probably Houston and Dallas.  I also need to get to Detroit.

While I traveled across country a lot with my family growing up, we seemed to generally avoid time in major metros.  As an adult on my own, it's a bit different.
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

Darkchylde

Never been to NYC, Los Angeles, or Chicago. The largest ones I have been to are Houston (city) and DFW (metro).

Rothman

Fine...I'll play.  Out of the top 100 largest cities per the new 2016 estimates, the 27 (if I counted correctly) I haven't been to.  Hitting Miami and Hialeah this summer, though.

8. San Diego
10.  San Jose
33.  Tucson
34.  Fresno
35.  Sacramento
36.  Mesa
40.  Colorado Springs
42.  Miami
47.  Tulsa
53.  Bakersfield
58.  Corpus Christi
59.  Riverside (may have driven through; can't remember)
62.  Stockton
66.  Anchorage
69.  Plano (believe I just missed it on the turnpike)
74.  Chula Vista
75.  Irvine (another near miss)
80.  Laredo
83.  Lubbock
84.  Chandler, AZ
86.  Glendale, AZ
89.  Winston-Salem
91.  Irving, TX (managed to go around it)
93.  Gilbert
94.  Hialeah
96.  Fremont, CA
100.  San Bernardino, CA (near miss)

Oh wait...we're supposed to go by MSAs?  Let's see here...out of the top 100, I haven't been to 9:

17.  San Diego-Carlsbad
27.  Sacramento-Roseville, etc.
35.  San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara (can't believe it)
53.  Tucson
55.  Tulsa
56.  Fresno
62.  Bakersfield
66.  McAllen, etc.
93.  Augusta, etc.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.