News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which U.S. City Has the Worst Drivers?

Started by cpzilliacus, July 25, 2013, 06:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Slate.com: Which U.S. City Has the Worst Drivers?

QuoteImagine: You're driving a car, and the driver ahead of you is behaving erratically. He can't stay in a lane. He puts on his left turn signal but doesn't turn. He slows to a near stop for no apparent reason, then surges forward. Finally, he makes a right turn from the left lane. You mutter to yourself, "This city has the worst [expletive] drivers."

QuoteWhat city are you envisioning?

QuoteEveryone who has ever set foot on an accelerator thinks they know where the worst drivers live, but they can't all be right. I set out to determine which city's drivers most deserve our steering-wheel slamming, bird-flipping frustration.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

No one city for me.  The behavior noted is indicative of tourists everywhere (especially if you see an arm hanging out the window).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

xcellntbuy

The whole region--Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida, hands down.

vtk

I've heard drivers are bad in Connecticut.  My limited experience driving in Connecticut corroborates that.

But on the other hand, time of day/week seems as important as location.  I see a lot of crappy drivers in the middle of the day.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

This sounds like L.A. for some reason. But I have no interest in helping Slate.

Bruce

Not U.S., but if you see BC plates over here, you move out of the way. Canadians are notoriously bad drivers once they pass Blaine.

realjd

Quote from: xcellntbuy on July 25, 2013, 09:37:38 PM
The whole region--Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida, hands down.

Miami drivers aren't that bad once you get used to them IMO. Lately, with my work travels, I find myself most annoyed with drivers in NYC/LI, Dallas, and Chicago, in that order. And the tourists in Orlando are obnoxious.

Brandon

Chicago, with emphasis on the Borman Expressway (I-80/94) between the Tri-State and the Toll Road.  It's pure anarchy on the road.  Whenever I get back from a trip to the east, Dayton, Cleveland, Port Huron, etc, I feel like everyone plays by the rules, or at least a set of rules until I get up to US-30 on I-65, or the Toll Road on I-94.  Then I feel like all hell has broken loose and it becomes a free for all for every driver out there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Dean Vernon Wormer: Greg, what city has the worst drivers in this country?

Greg Marmalard: Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.

(Depends on what one means by "worst." Least competent? Rudest just for the sake of being rude? Most likely to ignore traffic laws like red lights or not driving on the shoulder? Etc. Rudeness varies too–there's New York rude, which is mostly intolerance of stupidity, versus DC rude, which is more "I think I'm more important than you" rude.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

Quote from: realjd on July 25, 2013, 11:28:37 PM
Miami drivers aren't that bad once you get used to them

That's it right there.  Good drivers are predictable drivers.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

empirestate

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 26, 2013, 07:19:29 AM
Dean Vernon Wormer: Greg, what city has the worst drivers in this country?

Greg Marmalard: Well that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.

(Depends on what one means by "worst." Least competent? Rudest just for the sake of being rude? Most likely to ignore traffic laws like red lights or not driving on the shoulder? Etc. Rudeness varies too–there's New York rude, which is mostly intolerance of stupidity, versus DC rude, which is more "I think I'm more important than you" rude.)

Boston rude is similar to DC rude, but with more skill behind it, and perhaps less widespread. Connecticut rude is even closer to DC rude. New Jersey rude is like NYC rude, but NYC rude is ameliorated by predictability and (relative) orderliness, at least within the Manhattan grid. Outer borough NYC driving is markedly different than Manhattan driving, manifested largely in the difference in driving habits of yellow cabs vs. non-medallion livery cars.

Southern California, surprisingly, isn't all that bad, despite the total lack of any applied lane discipline. South Florida, on the other hand, is quite a mess; I am most disappointed in their vehiculo-pedestrian interaction skills–probably because a pedestrian in south Florida is about as common as a triceratops in New York City.

kkt

Boston.  Driving is a contact sport!

allniter89

All of them!! I havent been to Canada recently but the last time I was there (1980's-90's) it seemed they were way more courteous than US drivers. Its sad & dangerous how drivers in the US drive :no:. I used to enjoy getting in the car and aimlessly driving around, before gas was $3+ a gallon. I mentioned to the better half just the other day that the bad drivers have taken all the fun out of driving. Incompetent &/or inconsiderate drivers infuriate me :ded: :pan:!! Now I drive only when I need to go somewhere :no:.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

ET21

Entire State of Illinois. But for a city, I will say Chicago and Chicagoland proper
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

agentsteel53

Miami.  I have driven in every major US metropolitan area larger than, oh approximately Branson, Missouri.  so I think I have a good scientific basis for this opinion... and, trust me, folks, it's Miami.

Quote from: vtk on July 26, 2013, 09:29:02 AM

except Miami does not feature predictably bad driving.  Oregon, for example, you can get used to the fact that people do 55mph three-abreast on the freeway. 

Miami, however, you cannot get used to the driving, which includes such behavior as running a stop sign, pulling in front of you as to completely stop your progress, and getting out of the car to swear at you.  go ahead and try to predict that!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Avalanchez71

Miami is bad.  Nashville is bad as no one knows how to use a signal, move up in an intersection and many pass along the right shoulder as well.

texaskdog

Maybe Austin.  Is it that hard to use your turn signals?  So many people live here from so many different cities they brought their intermixing bad habits with them.

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 30, 2013, 12:46:41 PM
Miami.  I have driven in every major US metropolitan area larger than, oh approximately Branson, Missouri.  so I think I have a good scientific basis for this opinion... and, trust me, folks, it's Miami.

except Miami does not feature predictably bad driving.  Oregon, for example, you can get used to the fact that people do 55mph three-abreast on the freeway. 

Miami, however, you cannot get used to the driving, which includes such behavior as running a stop sign, pulling in front of you as to completely stop your progress, and getting out of the car to swear at you.  go ahead and try to predict that!

Sounds like Chicago, but instead of getting out to swear at you, they just exchange middle fingers with you.

Post Merge: July 30, 2013, 04:38:33 PM

Quote from: ET21 on July 28, 2013, 12:08:25 AM
Entire State of Illinois. But for a city, I will say Chicago and Chicagoland proper

There is a reason why Cheeseheads call those with Illinois plates FIBs.
Fucking Illinois Bastards.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on July 30, 2013, 02:17:14 PM
Sounds like Chicago, but instead of getting out to swear at you, they just exchange middle fingers with you.

I've never had much trouble in Chicago... but then again I probably don't even bother to remember a simple middle-finger exchange.  in Boston that's basically a friendly greeting.

jake@aaroads.com

doorknob60

Seattle. No, you can't go 5 MPH under the speed limit in the left lane, move the hell over! Half the problem is Oregon's low speed limits confuse out of state drivers, but come on, keep right except to pass, it's not hard.

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 30, 2013, 12:46:41 PM

Sounds predictable to me...

agentsteel53

Quote from: realjd on July 31, 2013, 03:55:46 PM
Sounds predictable to me...

only if every one of them did it, in which case it would be a case of "these are the local driving laws".  but if 1 in every 10 drivers is erratic, as opposed to 1 in every 100 nationwide, I reserve the right to say that Miami is 10x as worse a place to drive in than average.

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Let's put it this way, no city ever brags that they have the best drivers.

I guess 20+ years of living in the South Florida area has made me realize it's seemingly normal...

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on July 31, 2013, 08:53:14 PM
Let's put it this way, no city ever brags that they have the best drivers.

I guess 20+ years of living in the South Florida area has made me realize it's seemingly normal...
It takes a mighty strong stomach sometimes.

TXtoNJ

The Tampa Bay Area has its share of awful drivers as well. It must have something to do with Florida traffic engineers. Also, the signal timing is terrible, compounding the issue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.