News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Features for ranks

Started by Poiponen13, February 21, 2023, 09:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

Suggestion of features exclusively for "Like the forum way, way too much" users:

• Post count increases by 2 for every post made.
  • Ability to see deleted posts.
  • Your signature allows up to 1000 characters instead of 300.
  • You can see when a user is replying to you and what they're typing in real time.
  • Ability to edit theard titles for 1 hour instead to 5 minutes.
  • Ability to change username.
  • No ads.
  • Special "Likes the forum way, way too much" subforum.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 09:35:05 AM
Post count increases by 2 for every post made.

This defeats the purpose of a post count. And you took it from me in a joke post.

Ability to see deleted posts.
This is moderator only for a reason. Also my idea.

Your signature allows up to 1000 characters instead of 300.
One of the less bad ideas. But also from my post.

You can see when a user is replying to you and what they're typing in real time.
Forum software doesn't allow this. Again, from my post (but the last one in the list to do so).

Ability to edit theard [sic] titles for 1 hour instead to 5 minutes.
You can do this already with no time limit. Even years later.

Ability to change username.
One of the less bad ideas.

No ads.
You're saying that most of us will have ads added? No thanks. Will also encourage a post count rush, which is detrimental to the forum.

Special "Likes the forum way, way too much" subforum.
This is effectively r/lounge, which is known for being useless.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2023, 09:45:41 AM
Post count increases by 2 for every post made.

This defeats the purpose of a post count. And you took it from me in a joke post.

Ability to see deleted posts.
This is moderator only for a reason. Also my idea.

Your signature allows up to 1000 characters instead of 300.
One of the less bad ideas. But also from my post.

You can see when a user is replying to you and what they're typing in real time.
Forum software doesn't allow this. Again, from my post (but the last one in the list to do so).

Ability to edit theard [sic] titles for 1 hour instead to 5 minutes.
You can do this already with no time limit. Even years later.

Ability to change username.
One of the less bad ideas.

No ads.
You're saying that most of us will have ads added? No thanks. Will also encourage a post count rush, which is detrimental to the forum.

Special "Likes the forum way, way too much" subforum.
This is effectively r/lounge, which is known for being useless.
Hihii :-D

And the feature that could be added is option to show post count as license plate, with user with 23,976 posts has license plate like AW-999.

Max Rockatansky

Post counts again?  I have a suggestion, remove the post counts or make them not visible to normal users.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2023, 10:10:31 AM
Post counts again?  I have a suggestion, remove the post counts or make them not visible to normal users.

I think they're useful below the 500 mark. It tells you whether someone's new or not.

Roadgeekteen

I guess a special lounge would be kinda cool. But I really don't support any of those, for the reasons that 1 gave.

As a bit of a stats nerd I cannot support this move. But most users understand that Post Counts don't really matter that much in terms of determining whether a user contributes actual useful content on this forum.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Most of these suggestions are useless, or impossible using SMF software.

But I do like the idea of allowing for more characters in the signature for seasoned users. They're more likely to know how to use those characters in tasteful ways (clinched highways, for example) as opposed to adding multiple unnecessary photos.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 21, 2023, 10:16:51 AM

But I do like the idea of allowing for more characters in the signature for seasoned users. They're more likely to know how to use those characters in tasteful ways (clinched highways, for example) as opposed to adding multiple unnecessary photos.
Don't think that post counts are the best way to determine seasoned users. Or else MMM will be considered a seasoned user by the end of this year.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 10:17:52 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 21, 2023, 10:16:51 AM

Don't think that post counts are the best way to determine seasoned users. Or else MMM will be considered a seasoned user by the end of this year.

The way I see post counts is that they're just one tool among several to determine the quality of a user. They're not the only metric, but post counts do help.

And who cares if MMM gets to the Likes the Forum? If he or anyone else were to abuse the signature feature, a mod/admin can simply override it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2023, 10:14:33 AM

I think they're useful below the 500 mark. It tells you whether someone's new or not.
Although some users who have been here for a while and don't post much have a low post count while not being new.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 10:15:08 AM
I guess a special lounge would be kinda cool. But I really don't support any of those, for the reasons that 1 gave.

As a bit of a stats nerd I cannot support this move. But most users understand that Post Counts don't really matter that much in terms of determining whether a user contributes actual useful content on this forum.

The problem way too many stat nerds have made a big deal over post counts. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2023, 10:54:34 AM

It's only a few users honestly. Almost all users don't bring it up. In fact we wouldn't be complaining about this until Mr. Souky randomly brought them up again.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 11:01:57 AM

It's only a few users honestly. Almost all users don't bring it up. In fact we wouldn't be complaining about this until Mr. Souky randomly brought them up again.

Only took a few to ruin something that was just a background feature of the forum. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 21, 2023, 11:03:47 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 11:01:57 AM

Only took a few to ruin something that was just a background feature of the forum.
I've found that it's still a background feature. Most don't bring it up much, and before this thread I can't remember when's the last time we've talked about post counts.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 21, 2023, 11:20:30 AM
Suggestion of features exclusively for "Like the forum way, way too much" users:

• Post count increases by 2 for every post made.
  • Ability to see deleted posts.
  • Your signature allows up to 1000 characters instead of 300.
  • You can see when a user is replying to you and what they're typing in real time.
  • Ability to edit theard titles for 1 hour instead to 5 minutes.
  • Ability to change username.
  • No ads.
  • Special "Likes the forum way, way too much" subforum.

I've never seen any ads on here?? Isn't alot of these suggestions basically turning the forum into a chat room instead of a forum?
Registered users don't get ads, only guests.

1995hoo

Not all turnpikes are toll roads.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

I'm still not sure how merely talking about post counts ruins the concept altogether. Does it have to be this unspoken yet out in the open concept? I'm not saying everyone should be making a big deal of their posts or spamming just to get "more", but who cares if they do talk about it here or there?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 21, 2023, 12:25:04 PM

I'm still not sure how merely talking about post counts ruins the concept altogether. Does it have to be this unspoken yet out in the open concept? I'm not saying everyone should be making a big deal of their posts or spamming just to get "more", but who cares if they do talk about it here or there?
There are a few users that make a big deal of their post count and seem to really try to inflate it, both past and present (but mostly past, I haven't seen the topic being brought up recently). Personally I think that those users should be dealt with individually instead of just getting rid of post counts in general. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

vdeane

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 10:21:33 AM

Although some users who have been here for a while and don't post much have a low post count while not being new.
Perhaps list the join date instead of post count?  The ranks would still serve as a proxy for posts and it would stop things like "I want my post count to be 4444 so I'm going to delete old posts as I make new ones".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on February 21, 2023, 12:52:23 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 10:21:33 AM

Perhaps list the join date instead of post count?  The ranks would still serve as a proxy for posts and it would stop things like "I want my post count to be 4444 so I'm going to delete old posts as I make new ones".
Your join date is already listed when you click on your profile. That user that did that has become a useful contributor to the forum and has seemed to have matured past that phase, thankfully.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 21, 2023, 12:54:42 PM
That would be pretty hilarious if users started obsessing over their post counts. My only issue is I don't like my tag being named after a reference to toll roads.
It would be pretty annoying if users started doing that

CoreySamson

I guess a special lounge would be kinda cool.
We already have the chat room. That's a pretty fun place to hang out in.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

hotdogPi

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 21, 2023, 02:39:08 PM
I'm de facto banned from it, though (without an actual ban).

EDIT: To clarify: I was in it at first, but some users (especially Alps) became increasingly hostile, so I left. I tried joining again one or two years ago. I got a hostile response from Alps within ten seconds basically telling me to get out. It's clear that I'm not welcome in the chat.

webny99

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 21, 2023, 11:30:34 AM
And while we're on the subject what exactly is the breakdown for all the categories, such as parking lot, major arterial, freeway..etc? I know I became an expressway at 1000 and a Turnpike at 1500, but what are the others?

I don't know the full breakdown offhand but it's been posted many times...

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32036.msg2763210#msg2763210

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2023, 02:44:11 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on February 21, 2023, 02:39:08 PM
I'm de facto banned from it, though (without an actual ban).
I got banned from the forum proper for a month for messing around in the chat back in 2017.

kirbykart

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 21, 2023, 01:10:52 PM
Yeah, I'm imagining users like deleting/merging multiple posts to adjust their number or something, lots of interesting folks on the internet.

Haven't you done that yourself?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.