News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Forum Quotes

Started by CoreySamson, July 05, 2021, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirbykart

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kirbykart

Yeah, I forgot about that thread.

1995hoo

Something in another thread made me remember the following exchange that definitely belongs in this thread:

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 12, 2021, 07:59:13 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 12, 2021, 07:34:07 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 12, 2021, 12:37:59 AM
I'm officially a man now
What's her name?

Hopefully not Mary Hannah.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 28, 2022, 11:11:10 AM
Something in another thread made me remember the following exchange that definitely belongs in this thread:

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 12, 2021, 07:59:13 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 12, 2021, 07:34:07 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 12, 2021, 12:37:59 AM
I'm officially a man now
What's her name?

Hopefully not Mary Hannah.

I now associate East Carolina University with Mary Hannah instead of the Pirates thanks to Tolbs.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Fixed now, I had to refresh the page several times and it apparently didn't carry over my reply text.  The area cell towers are acting up today and I couldn't get a connection until I logged into Wifi. 

kurumi

This one's not funny, but kphoger dropping real etymology into Random Thoughts was fantastic. Any thread has the hazard of teaching you something.

Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 10:44:34 AM
Quote from: GaryV on October 28, 2022, 10:22:23 AM
If they drop off your body at the wrong cemetery, do they rehearse it to take it to the correct spot?

Yes, that's what a rehearsal is.

In all seriousness, the two words have the same etymology.  The root for both comes from the Old French herce, which was a harrow or large rake.  A hearse, in the funerary sense, first referred to a chandelier hung over the body of the deceased, because its frame and arms resembled a harrow.  Then, eventually, it came to refer to any framework structure erected in a similar context, such as cart built to carry the deceased to his grave.  Likewise, to rehearse something is to metaphorically go over it again and again, which is what someone does in a literal sense with a harrow:  both keep turning the material over and over until it's ready.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

Quote from: kurumi on October 28, 2022, 12:28:46 PM
This one's not funny, but kphoger dropping real etymology into Random Thoughts was fantastic. Any thread has the hazard of teaching you something.

Both of the Wichitans have a knack for doing that, which I greatly appreciate.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

This one made my weekend on the no-13th-floor discussion.

Quote from: texaskdog on October 29, 2022, 09:48:29 PM
It's stupid, though I once was shown an apartment and I didn't take it because it was 911 (this was back in 2006)

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kirbykart

This is good (from "Time zones" by Poiponnen13 {the new Finnish user}):

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 01, 2022, 07:09:48 PM
get out your damn daubers I guess

kphoger

Recently added to the list:

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 05, 2022, 01:21:55 PM
... it almost felt bad making fun of NMDOT. Sort of like making fun of a special needs child ...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Also this, because it's such a concise summary of what it means to be a roadgeek:

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 04, 2022, 12:28:52 PM
My priority no matter where I go is trying to get as many roads I think will be fun into my itinerary.

SkyPesos

There's a user that joined a week ago with like 27 average posts per day as of now (and like 36 a bit earlier). I wonder if they said anything funny (either in a good or bad way) yet. With this high of a posts per day, there probably would be a bunch of shitposts by now.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 05, 2022, 09:26:04 PM
There's a user that joined a week ago with like 27 average posts per day as of now (and like 36 a bit earlier). I wonder if they said anything funny (either in a good or bad way) yet. With this high of a posts per day, there probably would be a bunch of shitposts by now.

Plenty of shitposts, pretty much FritzOwl-lite stuff right now though. 

SSOWorld

<Insert Scott5114 DST lock Bingo card here>
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JoePCool14

webny99

JoePCool14

webny99

7/8

From Fictional Municipality/County Changes:

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 06, 2022, 12:30:33 PM
Every municipality should merge with every county to form one large, international municipality called Ã.... There will be no need for your mayors, your court systems, your city ordinances. All will become one with Ã.... Ã... transcends boundaries. Life will be better in Ã.... Your children will grow up to be six inches taller and 25% stronger and better looking. Everyone will make 25% more money. Ã... is love, Ã... is life. Come live in Ã... with us–the only municipality.

hbelkins

Quote from: 7/8 on November 09, 2022, 02:41:14 PM

Every municipality should merge with every county to form one large, international municipality called Ã.... There will be no need for your mayors, your court systems, your city ordinances. All will become one with Ã.... Ã... transcends boundaries. Life will be better in Ã.... Your children will grow up to be six inches taller and 25% stronger and better looking. Everyone will make 25% more money. Ã... is love, Ã... is life. Come live in Ã... with us–the only municipality.

Ã...lanland?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

Quote from: hbelkins on November 10, 2022, 01:16:56 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on November 09, 2022, 02:41:14 PM

Ã...lanland?

Ã...lÃ¥nlÃ¥nd.

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 11, 2022, 08:32:59 PM
Thank you so much for giving me the honor of FritzOwl status on this forum!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 11, 2022, 08:54:40 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 11, 2022, 08:32:59 PM
Thank you so much for giving me the honor of FritzOwl status on this forum!
Maybe MMM could even get the honor of Tolbs17 status on this forum, if he asks nice enough.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.